Charles and Camilla -General Chat

Started by cinrit, March 30, 2014, 11:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

A thread dedicated to Charles and Camilla's  news that is not part of their official engagements, duties and visits[/color]

QuoteThe roses are in full bloom, the kitchen garden is an abundance of fruit and veg, but it's an award-winner inspired by something unusual which takes you into another world this month

In the heat of the summer, a visit to the carpet garden is rather like stepping into an exotic, foreign location as you are greeted by bold hot colours, heady perfumes and gently trickling rills and fountains.

It is an exquisite site, perhaps all the more so due to the sharp contrast of entering from a Cotswold orchard. This garden is inspired by an original sketch by His Royal Highness, based on a Turkish carpet. The sketch was given to Emma Clark, who is an expert on Islamic gardens and their symbolism, and she developed the final design for the RHS Chelsea Flower Show with Dr Khaled Azzam, head of the Visual Islamic and Traditional Arts programme at the Prince's Foundation in Shoreditch, East London, set up in 1987.

Prince Charles explains, 'After gazing for many years at the patterns and colours of one of the small Turkish carpets in my room at Highgrove, I couldn't help feeling what fun it would be to use those patterns and colours to create a theme for a garden. The challenge would be to see if you could almost create the effect of being within the carpet.'

The garden was a triumph at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in May 2001, drawing huge crowds and winning a coveted Silver-Gilt medal from the Royal Horticultural Society.

More: Prince Charles Highgrove exclusive: JULY Turkish delight and glorious green spaces | Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Absolutely beautiful photos of the estate gardens. :flower:

cinrit

Quote'Highgrove: A Garden Celebrated' the New Book by Prince Charles to be Published Next Week

Highgrove: A Garden Celebrated by The Prince of Wales and Bunny Guinness will be published next week. It is a lovely book that details the lavish and exquisite gardens of Highgrove month by month.

Highgrove goes thorough monthly transformations and the book details the gardens throughout the varying seasons. The Prince of Wales and Ms Guinness discuss the impetus for each garden as well as what the highs and lows of planning for what really is the Princes 'jewel in the crown' if you will.

Included are some of Charles's watercolours along with photographs of the gardens.

More: ?Highgrove: A Garden Celebrated? the new book by Prince Charles to be published next week | Royal Central

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

LouisFerdinand

Since 1980 the Prince of Wales has devoted much energy to transforming the gardens around the house at Highgrove.   
Has Prince Charles done any flower work at any royal palace or castle gardens?

Princess Cassandra

I have a book of pictures and text published around 1950 about George VI and the Queen Mother about their love of gardening.  It showed a small allotment that had been given to Charles - he had laid out some stones and planted one or two flowers around it. Very cute.  It was at Sandringham, I think. 

royalanthropologist

Gardening is a wonderful hobby and can keep you active in your old age. It is always great to pass the gardening bug down to the younger generation.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

Yes, it is a wonderful hobby, though a surprising number of elderly gardening enthusists suffer from arthritis! I think it's the satisfaction of creating beauty around you and your home that provides the greatest satisfaction.

Princess Cassandra

The best thing about Highgrove is that it seems to prove the theory that organic gardening is best. He's written a book that could help others follow in his path. Everything is so healthy there, and he freely discusses his failures and what he has learnt along the way.  I have not been yet, but intend to.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: royalanthropologist on March 28, 2019, 07:08:02 AM
Gardening is a wonderful hobby and can keep you active in your old age. It is always great to pass the gardening bug down to the younger generation.

I wonder who Charles has passed along a love of gardening to. Maybe Harry? I think Catherine is the gardener in the Cambridge family.

LouisFerdinand

In King Charles III, Anthony Holden wrote: At Highgrove Charles will roam the grounds, checking the progress of his beloved plants - perhaps, as he has rashly admitted, talking to them.     
:daisy: :daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

Princess Cassandra

At one time everyone made fun of him for talking to his plants, and they thought organic gardening was silly. Most people I know no longer think organic gardening is silly.  His conversations with plants don't seem to be big news at the moment, but I have to admit, when you see a lovely plant in bloom, or a plant you babied thrive and grow, or a plant that was sick come back again, it's hard not to say, "Cheers" or "well done" to it!. 

TLLK

TLLK

Well since the source of  this donation is not mentioned there is a possibility that it comes from her own private money (inheritance from her parents, grandparents) or from joint money with her husband the PoW.

TLLK

Most likely not, but Camillla Parker-Bowles was well off prior to marrying Prince Charles in 2005, so a personal donation from her own account still would be of assistance to the Australian fire relief fund.

wannable

Good for her.

All donations are welcome

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sandy on January 16, 2020, 05:21:25 PM
If this is the case, how come she had to get help to buy Ray Mill? And this is a fact.

That figure is for 2019.

Camilla Parker-Bowles can't pay her bills as Buckingham Palace is missing millions | New Idea Magazine

Why Charles and Camilla are now living such separate lives | Daily Mail Online

second article says she got help from Charles to buy Raymill
The article just mentions that she made a donation. It was a nice gesture. Why can't we just leave it at that?

wannable

Another ta-da

GIVIT
@GIVIT_AUS
Big smiles and happy faces all round as students at the #Ebor School in #NSW were given their new school bags!
Thank you so much to HRH The Duchess of Cornwall for supporting our efforts to help those affected by the #bushfires.
@ClarenceHouse
#BushfireRelief #Donate
Twitter

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 31, 2020, 01:41:43 PM
Another ta-da

GIVIT
@GIVIT_AUS
Big smiles and happy faces all round as students at the #Ebor School in #NSW were given their new school bags!
Thank you so much to HRH The Duchess of Cornwall for supporting our efforts to help those affected by the #bushfires.
@ClarenceHouse
#BushfireRelief #Donate
Twitter

Aww this  is lovely to see. Camilla chose to  make a personal donation to help those affected by the bush fires and I'm glad that the recipients have new school bags.

Princess Cassandra

It's well known that she doesn't like flying or the heat, but in all the pictures it is obvious she enjoyed her times down under. It looks like she was enjoying her interactions with the people. She has set a good example by helping them out, and we all wish them well.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Cassandra

I listened - it's one of my favorite passages and he read it so well and with feeling. It was something else to look forward to while we are isolated and couldn't visit with family as we usually do.

wannable

This is another very old thread, rumour is there has already been an agreement about Highgrove between William and Charles to keep using it as their per usual secondary home, apart from the fixed dates C goes to Birkhall, and he supposedly touring and will be doing changes to improve the Duchy of Lancaster.

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

Charles and Camilla receive the coronavirus vaccination ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have both received a coronavirus vaccination.

Clarence House confirmed that the Prince, 72, and the Duchess, 73, have been given the first dose of the vaccine. No further information was given.

They are in the fourth priority group for the jab in the UK as they are both over the age of 70. Other royals in that age group include The Princess Royal who marked her 70th birthday in August 2020.

The Queen, 94, and the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, received their injections last month. They announced they had been given the jabs to stop any further speculation.

The Prince of Wales contracted coronavirus in March 2020, in the early part of the pandemic, although he later said he felt he had ??got away with it quite lightly?? after experiencing a mild form of the virus. The Duchess of Cornwall didn?t contract the virus.

Royal families across Europe have shown their support for the vaccination programme by confirming when members have been given the jab.

Hope that the Queen's Kent and Gloucester cousins have also been able to receive the vaccine too.