Fashion of the past

Started by Macrobug67, May 08, 2021, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug67

Royal Style in the Making | Kensington Palace | Historic Royal Palaces

Opening at Kensington Palace this summer in the newly-conserved historic Orangery, this new temporary exhibition explores the intimate relationship between fashion designer and royal client, revealing the process behind the creation of a number of the most important couture commissions in royal history.

On display will be the wedding dress of Diana, Princess of Wales, on show for the first time at Kensington Palace in 25 years, in addition to a rare, surviving toile for the 1937 coronation gown of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother; consort of King George VI.

The display also features never-before-seen items from the archives of some of the most celebrated royal couturiers of the 20th century, set alongside examples of the glittering gowns and stylish tailoring created for three generations of royal women. There will be some surprises for fashion fans.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Macrobug67

LouisFerdinand

King Louis XIV of France was interested in fashion.         
The History of France?s love affair with fashion - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

King Richard II of England is credited with "having invented the handkerchief; 'little pieces  [of cloth] for the lord King to wipe and clean his nose,' appear in the Household Rolls (accounts), which is the first documentation of their use.   
European Men?s fashion in 1300?1400 ? HiSoUR ? Hi So You Are

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King Edward VII of England left the bottom button undone on a waistcoat.

TLLK

I'm surprised that he didn't need to leave more than one button undone.  :teehee:

Curryong

Yes, probably his tailor added on another 6 inches of material for every fitting. It?s odd that Edward VII was such a gourmand (read that as hog in his case) while his grandson Edward VIII was almost anorexic, certainly a watcher of his weight at all times.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on November 27, 2021, 11:58:11 PM
Yes, probably his tailor added on another 6 inches of material for every fitting. It?s odd that Edward VII was such a gourmand (read that as hog in his case) while his grandson Edward VIII was almost anorexic, certainly a watcher of his weight at all times.

That was because of the family tendnecy to put on weight.  Q Vic had gotten fat, so had Edward VII - and so Ed VIII was worired about his weight.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on November 27, 2021, 11:58:11 PM

Interesting that Edward VII's wife Alexandra was very conscious of her own figure and from what I recall from photos, the couple's children appear to have stayed slim, active and fit throughout their lifetimes. Their daughter Maud later Queen of Norway definitely stayed very active and picked up cross country skiing. The ladies of course had corsets to assist but the Edwardian era dresses were certainly form fitting and had slimmer skirt designs which would have made any extra weight harder to conceal.
King George V and his wife Queen Mary seemed to have wanted to avoid their respective parents' tendency to gain weight and also stayed slimmer for much of their adulthood. Their children with perhaps the exception of their son Henry tended to follow their example IMO.

Queen Alexandra's fashions where there's a noticeable change between the Victorian styles from her youth later the Edwardian one.

Queen Alexandra ? the Fashion Icon | The Enchanted Manor

Queen Maud features mostly her Edwardian era wardrobe.
Gods and Foolish Grandeur: Queen Maud's dresses

Queen Mary's wedding dress with color photos! Also Mary actually looks like she's ready to smile in some of the pictures. :vday2:

Queen Mary's wedding dress | Jessica Jewett

LouisFerdinand

King George IV introduced a number of styles to England. Instead of knee breeches, he took up wearing looser trousers.   
He popularized dark colors. Dark colors were suppose to make him look slimmer.

LouisFerdinand

The Bustle: Princess Dagmar of Denmark who became Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia   
Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia | Maria feodorovna, Victorian photography, Maria

boglaaz

Hello!

I didn't want to open a new topic, I hope you might be able to help me. I am looking for a certain court(dress).
The problem is, I don't know where I got it from, reading or a documentary... maybe I dreamt it :wacko: but a queen was mentioned who demanded very restricting clothing (I believe it was full court dress) for all the ladies to wear at court all the time.
The goal was to keep the court virtuous through the difficulty of the removal of these dresses that couldn't be quickly discarded and put back on. I believe it was a 18th century affair +/- a few decades but I really don't remember. I need this info for a project so  :random44:
I've been trying to google it for some time... you are my last hope.  :notworthy:

Curryong

I don?t know that I can help much. However, I do know that William IV?s consort Queen Adelaide, did insist on very modest Court dresses for her ladies during her husband?s reign (1830 to 1837.)

This was due to the fact that in the previous reign the louche George IV (formerly the Prince Regent) had more or less allowed (perhaps encouraged) very low cleavages in Court dress during his reign of 1820 to 1830. From about 1800 to 1830 bodices of gowns were fashionably low anyway, but at King George?s Court the tops of garments just about skimmed the lower breasts of some women and there were complaints from observers about Society ladies being virtually indecently half-undressed.

Queen Adelaide wasn?t having any of this and court dress (and fashion) gradually became more modest and deep cleavage was rarely seen. King George of course had been estranged from his wife and she died at the beginning of his reign. Gowns had been earlier very simple and almost uncorseted. They would have been easily slipped off and the morality of George?s Court was not highly regarded. You see these sorts of dresses in Jane Austen films. Anyway, Adelaide is the only one I can think of in respect of your question.

It?s rather difficult to see what I?ve been writing about with the prints below, but the article does mention that in George 1V reign hoops were no long worn and ladies very much wore French fashions, even after the Napoleonic Wars. He admired French fashions and manners.

Court Dresses, Overview - CandiceHern.com

LouisFerdinand

The Hungarian Habsburgs in the official Hungarian court dress, diszmagyar     
Boudoir ? Habsburgs in d?szmagyar.2

LouisFerdinand

The sight of King Edward VII of England on a German railway station in a green cap, pink tie, white gloves, and a brown overcoat induced Tailor and Cutter to express the fervent hope that King Edward had not brought this outfit home to England.

LouisFerdinand

King Edward VII of England and his grandson, King Edward VIII each had an influence in The Prince of Wales Check.     
Prince of Wales check | Grey Fox

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Queen Olga of Greece in a Greek courtgown ** Early 1870s   
http://carolathhabsburg.tumblr.com/image/182824646212

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on February 05, 2022, 11:46:58 AM

It?s rather difficult to see what I?ve been writing about with the prints below, but the article does mention that in George 1V reign hoops were no long worn and ladies very much wore French fashions, even after the Napoleonic Wars. He admired French fashions and manners.

Court Dresses, Overview - CandiceHern.com
so it was in the reign of George IV that court dress changed?  As far as I remember, in the Regency era, although ordinary gowns for ladies were the simple dresses with a small bodice and a high waistline and narrow skirt, court dress was still very grand with hoops?  so a court dress for a lady was more expensive.

Curryong

Queen Charlotte seems to have been the one who insisted on the ridiculous hoop/Regency combination for Court dress early in the 19th century, so round about the Regency period or just before. She was a very rigid old lady in many ways and seems to have insisted on this manner of dress until her death in 1816. Of course she was QC so I suppose what she said went.

However after her death things changed?

From the link below.

In the last decade of the 18th century, the fashion for wide skirts began to evolve into the slim, vertical line associated with Regency dress. Queen Charlotte, however, held firm on the rules of Court Dress, and ladies were forced to adapt those rules to the current style, which produced a very odd-looking garment with the high-waist under the bosom and a full hoped skirt.