Archewell Foundation, Invictus and other charities, news and activities Part 4

Started by Macrobug67, January 23, 2023, 02:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

changemhysoul

I knew Meghan was no longer at Meyhew. Maybe I wasn't on this forum/active at the time but I thought everyone knew.

I meant, I couldn't remember any Archewell and Meyhew related happenings like a grant that Smart Works got. Meghan joined Meyhew as a Patron due to the connection of her friend Oli who helped Guy recover after an accident. When he passed, it seemed that she also stepped down as Patron.

My guess would be, since this report is from 2020-2022 that covers three years, they listed anyone that they've partnered with. Meyhew in the past were one of the charities that had received a Sussex's x-mas card and posted it. And when Oli passed away, Meghan made a donation to help create the Oli Juste wing at Mayhew. That would be the idea for the partnership.

Also, I made a mistake, the Smart Works grant was for Women's History month and not International Women's Day

TLLK

@changemhysoul - I somehow over time forgot this news.  Though if you scroll back through the second or third Archewell threads I might have even posted the news.  :hehe:

Sometimes patronages come with a "lifetime" role. Others are for a limited time with an agreed upon start and end date. Still others like BAFTA have seen multiple patrons over a few decades. Of course when a royal passes away, there is likely to be reshuffling of patronages. The late Queen and DoE did start to hand off some of their patronages, presidencies and honorary military appointments over the last decade, but others they held on to right up until the end. There still has not been an official announcement of who will inherit those positions.

changemhysoul

^ related to the above, true true!

And then related today, news, Archewell made a post about Smart Works.

QuoteToday, Smart Works released their inaugural Smart Works Female Unemployment Index ? a report that examines the challenges women face when looking for work, from the moment they begin the search to the life changing impact of having a job. Since 2019, Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex has been Patron and last year, The Archewell Foundation announced it would provide the financial support to conduct this robust study.

?Anyone who has received a wage packet in their lifetime understands the power of employment, the freedom it provides, the opportunities it opens and above all, the person it enables you to become. Too often our clients come to us after months or years of trying and failing to secure employment, lacking confidence. We know the impact that unemployment is having on women?s lives and we know how critical they can be to our national economic success. We need to find a way forward, listening to what women need to thrive when in an interview situation and be happy and successful in their careers.? ? Kate Stephens, Smart Works CEO

Here is the link to the full report - https://smartworks.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/The-Smart-Works-Female-Unemployment-Index-2022.pdf

If your not big on numbers and data (I am not) there are also personal stories about a few select women who Smart Works has helped and their stories and etc, which I find more interesting. But if you are a fan of data and numbers, there is a lot of that info their as well. It also seems like the Smart Works Female Unemployment Index was launched in the house of lords today and they were able to complete the index with financial backing from Archewell.

Curryong

Thanks for posting this.

I see that SmartWorks has helped among others disabled women, those from a minority background and sole parents struggling to get by. Also that women from some of the most disadvantaged areas of Britain were assisted into a hopeful new life as an employed female. I think that dressing for succcess at job interviews and that first couple of days at work can make all the difference, and I?m proud that Meghan tried to help make a difference in these women?s lives.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on January 31, 2023, 01:57:07 AM
@changemhysoul - I somehow over time forgot this news.  Though if you scroll back through the second or third Archewell threads I might have even posted the news.  :hehe:

Sometimes patronages come with a "lifetime" role. Others are for a limited time with an agreed upon start and end date. Still others like BAFTA have seen multiple patrons over a few decades. Of course when a royal passes away, there is likely to be reshuffling of patronages. The late Queen and DoE did start to hand off some of their patronages, presidencies and honorary military appointments over the last decade, but others they held on to right up until the end. There still has not been an official announcement of who will inherit those positions.
probably noone in the RF wil take them up.  Charles is not going to have the same big team of helpers that his mother had, and so a lot of charities will have to go, or just be patronages where the Royal's name is on the  website, rather than an active patron

wannable

If your not big on numbers and data (I am not) there are also personal stories about a few select women who Smart Works has helped and their stories and etc, which I find more interesting. But if you are a fan of data and numbers, there is a lot of that info their as well. It also seems like the Smart Works Female Unemployment Index was launched in the house of lords today and they were able to complete the index with financial backing from Archewell.

With SmartWorks the accounting is a bit more complicated.  Big brands in the UK have charity giving tax deduction. So the surplus of clothes that do not sell, even with sale slashes are given away if the brand doesn't have a scheme to sell it let's say for GBP 1 pound and then themselves donate to the charity of their preference. By the brands used by SmartWorks, I'd say small and medium size brands are their forte, donators.

What will happen to the garment (Fashion, Clothing) industry? It is hard to say, after the pandemic, this industry is the most affected so far.

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 01, 2023, 09:49:25 AM
probably noone in the RF wil take them up.  Charles is not going to have the same big team of helpers that his mother had, and so a lot of charities will have to go, or just be patronages where the Royal's name is on the  website, rather than an active patron

I believe that not all of their late QEII and DoE's patronages will be wanting a new royal patron so those will just go. Others may be merging with another organization to remain financially stable. However I do believe that those that are specifically aligned with the monarch/Duke of Lancaster will go to Charles. William will inherit from Charles those specifically aligned with the Prince of Wales/Cornwall . The remaining ones that a certain family member has a specific interest in or attachment will likely go to another family member including those who are not part of the senior working group.  This is not a quick process and I recall it took a long time for the BRF to redistribute the patronages of the late QEQM and Princess Margaret.

changemhysoul

Yesterday, WellChild released their 2021-2022 Impact report, it included a message from Harry.

TLLK

He did receive some criticism for referring to himself as the Royal Patron, but IMO that is unfair. He was their royal patron from the moment that he agreed to take on the role.

Prince Harry criticised for 'incorrectly' calling himself 'Royal Patron' of UK charity

changemhysoul

63,072,000 Seconds
1,051,200 Minutes
17,531.64 Hours
730 Days
104 Weeks
or 2⃣ Years To Go until we get to return to Canada for the #InvictusGames Vancouver 🍁 Whistler 2025!

But who's counting!?

--- > https://twitter.com/WeAreInvictus/status/1622659725916610561

Also, tickets for the Germany games can be purchased here -> Tickets / Invictus Games

Amabel2

Did someone serously count how long it would be to the next Invictus games

changemhysoul

Yes, the organization themselves in a fun tweet to promote the Winter Games

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 07, 2023, 09:16:45 AM
Did someone serously count how long it would be to the next Invictus games

It's not that uncommon for organizations ie IOC to do a countdown to their next big event.

changemhysoul

https://twitter.com/WellChild/status/1622990164665548801

A video message posted by WellChild of Prince Harry, calling for nominations for the 2023 WellChild Awards

Our Patron Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex, joins the call for nominations for the 2023 #WellChildAwards, in association with
@GSK
Each year, we celebrate the UK?s inspirational seriously ill children, young people & those who care for them. Nominate at http://wellchild.org.uk/awards

TLLK

Glad that he recorded the video for Well Child and look forward to seeing the winners.

Curryong

WellChild has been a firmly established part of Harry?s year for quite some time now. Last year was of course an exception. It?s always a sad as well as a joyous occasion. As a mother and grandmother I always thank God that I was never faced with the ill health that these children and their parents and extended family are faced with every day of their existence. WellChild does a fabulous job in supporting these families and I?m sure many parents will be nominating again as usual.

wannable

I've changed my mind about Harry being 'patron' of anything from my initial comment that charity organization should keep their patron if not the 'vision, mission' of a charity is defeated by letting go of complicated famous unwell patron.

My change of heart is, he should be removed and seek (more) help rather than burden a charity.  Making fun in ink forever of a disabled person, and being patron of a disabled to inevitable death charity isn't compatible.

changemhysoul

It's very compatible. As long as the charity itself is fine.

WellChild, and more importantly, the parents, family members and children, value having Harry as patron. They're not going to drop him because of unkind thoughts he has a 13 year old boy (and this ignoring the damage said matron's at the school did to little kids, such as giving them medicine that makes them sicker and not caring or pushing fingers into their wounds which serves no purpose other than being cruel) Or using drugs to cope with the trauma in his life.

Now, if Harry was saying all of this and thinking this at the age of 40, 32 or even 24, it'd be different but that's not the case.

WellChild isn't damaged by him and from his book, they received 300,000, that only serves to help. As well as other donations as he's put money into both them and Sentebale whenever there is a chance. I think they care more about that, than what young Harry did to cope but Harry now and since they've been supporting him since stepping back, it looks like they value him more than the hate or anything else.

-----

An update from African Parks, which Prince Harry is Patron / on the board of

https://twitter.com/AfricanParks/status/1623217053334224897

A team from Majete Nationa Park in Malawi recently helped locals plant trees to protect their land against flooding in the future. It's one of many ways in which African Parks partners with local communities to protect natural spaces.

wannable

I wouldn't know about the parents. But the fact that the BOD (Board of Directors) of the charity is still using him, whilst being criticized i.e. 95 unfavorable vs 5 favorable wherever they published the video is not a great sign.

TLLK

Quote from: changemhysoul on February 08, 2023, 02:23:42 PM
It's very compatible. As long as the charity itself is fine.

WellChild, and more importantly, the parents, family members and children, value having Harry as patron. They're not going to drop him because of unkind thoughts he has a 13 year old boy (and this ignoring the damage said matron's at the school did to little kids, such as giving them medicine that makes them sicker and not caring or pushing fingers into their wounds which serves no purpose other than being cruel) Or using drugs to cope with the trauma in his life.

Now, if Harry was saying all of this and thinking this at the age of 40, 32 or even 24, it'd be different but that's not the case.

WellChild isn't damaged by him and from his book, they received 300,000, that only serves to help. As well as other donations as he's put money into both them and Sentebale whenever there is a chance. I think they care more about that, than what young Harry did to cope but Harry now and since they've been supporting him since stepping back, it looks like they value him more than the hate or anything else.

-----

An update from African Parks, which Prince Harry is Patron / on the board of

https://twitter.com/AfricanParks/status/1623217053334224897

A team from Majete Nationa Park in Malawi recently helped locals plant trees to protect their land against flooding in the future. It's one of many ways in which African Parks partners with local communities to protect natural spaces.

If the families are content with Prince Harry as their patron and the organization doesn't have an issue with him then I believe that they'd rather retain him. IMO his role as a royal patron is to raise the profile of the charity in a positive manner which he's done now for several years. That can bring the attention of future donors.  He will make the occasional in person event when it's possible to further advance the Well Child's cause.  :thumbsup:

changemhysoul

^ Agree

https://twitter.com/SoldierOnCAN/status/1623065312592793602

Let the countdown begin! Less than 8 months until #IG23💪🇨🇦 The 1st
@InvictusGamesDE
Training Camp is officially underway in British Columbia at
@CFBBFCEsquimalt
#SoldierOn #IG23 #aHomeforRespect #TeamCanada #CAF

Looks like, official prep is getting started for Invictus, 8 months to go

Curryong

The competitors for Invictus are very excited about getting ready for the Games I?m sure. They?ll be raring to go in almost eight months time. Everybody always gets stuck into being completely fit for the competition quite early on.

changemhysoul

It's been officially confirmed, Invictus Nigeria will be the 22nd Nation at the Invictus Games in Germany this year.

https://twitter.com/invictusgamesNG/status/1623662102895333376

Follow this link to see a video 

https://twitter.com/WeAreInvictus/status/1623659934175965187

But for those that don't want to click, when setting up Invictus Nigeria, they were using the Endeavor Program to simply help fund sport recovery opportunities in Nigeria and help build a sport recovery program for the country. The response had been so great and it helped the vets so much and support from senior military in Nigeria had been so strong that the Invictus Games Foundation could invite them to the games this year.

Nigeria confirmed as the 22nd nation attending the Invictus Games Dusseldorf 2023 ? Invictus Games Foundation

Dominic Reid OBE, CEO of the Invictus Games Foundation, said, ?Such was the impact of the opportunities we provide, including within Nigeria, and the support of senior military stakeholders, that we felt the team there were ready and well-prepared for joining an Invictus Games. I am delighted that an invitation has now been issued for a team of 10 wounded, injured or sick service personnel and veterans to attend the Games as the first African nation to do so?.

General Lucky Irabor, Chief of Defence Staff Nigeria, said, ?Since joining the Invictus Community of Nations, we have seen the impact that sports for recovery has already begun to have on those who have been injured or fallen ill whilst serving, and on those around them. We thank the team at the Invictus Games Foundation for their support and guidance and we are excited for the Games this September!?

Bobby Ojeh, Team Manager of the Invictus Games Team Nigeria, will now begin the selection process for 10 members of the team, due to be announced later this year, along with their friends and family members. Members of Team Nigeria are hoping to be competing in Athletics, Indoor Rowing, Powerlifting, Sitting Volleyball and Wheelchair Basketball. The Invictus Games Dusseldorf 2023 are due to take place between the 9th ? 16th of September, 2023.

Invictus Games: Nigeria gets Africa's first entry at Prince Harry's games for wounded veterans | CNN

The above article has more from the vets and coaches. Nigera will be the first African (West African) Nation to join Invictus and in total, 3 new nations will be at the Germany Games in Sept.

Also

SmarkWorks will be opening a new location in Corydon

Curryong

What terrific news for Nigeria and the Invictus Games, which goes from strength to strength. Absolutely great for those maimed and wounded competitors competing in a truly international arena.

And it?s marvellous news too for SmartWorks which is quietly doing an excellent job in playing a part in getting women back in the workforce.

TLLK

Good news for Invictus to have a team from Nigeria competing as the continent's first entry.

Congrats to Smart Works for opening a new location.