Hereditary and non-hereditary aristocrats and gentry for UK and Europe Chat

Started by beeswax, November 11, 2005, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on December 29, 2023, 03:34:35 PM
The yearly Tatler Magazine social parties, country pursuits, etc. indicate the contrary to no interwoven connections.

Did I say in my post there were NO interwoven connections among the British aristocracy?  No I did not! Re-read my post please. What I stated was that there are not the interwoven connections between aristo families that there were even fifty years ago and certainly at the time of the great London Seasons which thrived until WW2.

And that is the truth.

And you can?t take Tatler mag as a true image of the entire British aristocracy and what country gentry there are left. The people who appear in Tatler are aristos and new money who enjoy social occasions, parties, gallery openings etc. That wouldn?t include half the families I?m talking about. Country life goes on, among neighbouring families and friends. Parties go on among neighbouring families and friends, and Tatler sometimes photographs some of them.

However, that world in 2023 does not compare to the world of say 1890, 1910, 1925 or 1935. Not even 1950 when the Season and aristo life was a shadow of what it had once been. And that?s what I meant when I said today it is a shrunken world. And it is.

wannable

Tatler is digital they monthly notify parties dinners and what not.

The social scene is back after the pandemic since 2022.

The last time the social scene in the UK was 100 💯 was 2019 every weekend something notable
2019 was also luckily special as financially all the aristocrats made themselves richer which was compared to the Victorian era.

wannable

The first part is Tatler digital
The last sentence is The Guardian

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on December 29, 2023, 11:11:28 PM
Tatler is digital they monthly notify parties dinners and what not.

The social scene is back after the pandemic since 2022.

The last time the social scene in the UK was 100 💯 was 2019 every weekend something notable
2019 was also luckily special as financially all the aristocrats made themselves richer which was compared to the Victorian era.

Like I said. Some aristos and some new money and some in between enjoy parties about anything and having their picture in Tatler. A lot don?t. And ALL the aristos in GB made themselves richer in 2019. Remarkable, lol!

Again, you cannot compare the aristos who had great intact estates in the 19th century when taxation was 6d in the pound to today?s lot. Many aristocratic estates began shrinking after the agricultural depression of the 1870s and death duties meant that many estates were sold off after WW1. Fact.

And I noted in something I read the other day that Lord Max Percy sold off his entire landholdings several years ago, to the horror of tenants there who feared that the estate would be subdivided. So he isn?t interested in preserving his estates.

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 25, 2024, 01:18:33 AM
The Dowager Duchess of Rutland has passed away at 86.

How the Duchess of Rutland, who's died aged 86 at Belvoir Castle, never truly escaped the scandal around her 'Dirty Duchess' mother - who became a

I think the Dowager Duchess was estranged from her mother for years. Frances was as beautiful as Margaret, stunning really, but my goodness what a person to have as a mother! I actually remember reading all the gory details of the Argyll divorce at the time. No scandal was ever attached to the Dowager Duchess, though. Several children, a quiet family life with her husband.

sara8150

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1881783/hugh-grosvenor-wedding-prince-harry-prince-william
It's his big day but he invite William and Catherine, George to his wedding period i dont think he invite Harry to his wedding due back to his bombshell tell all memoir book in 2023,Oprah and Netflix but Hugh and his fiancée Olivia make decision to invite on the lists but Duke of Westminster send invite to Wales and monarch to his wedding on June 7 but King Charles been friend of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster

AristoHisto

Was reading in another thread about the upcoming wedding and who of the male aristocrats would still be unmarried.. someone said George Percy had broken up with a girlfriend of 2 years last summer? That she was "blonde and owned her own business." Does anyone know about this?

PrincessOfPeace

I haven't read much about George Percy lately. He used to feature in the DM quite a bit but not for a while now

AristoHisto

Same here! I think the last I saw of him was Pippa's wedding and the King's 70th birthday. I know their family prefers to be private so I'm sure they like us not knowing who they are/aren't dating!

Blue Clover

Curryong

Quote from: AristoHisto on March 30, 2024, 02:29:48 PMWas reading in another thread about the upcoming wedding and who of the male aristocrats would still be unmarried.. someone said George Percy had broken up with a girlfriend of 2 years last summer? That she was "blonde and owned her own business." Does anyone know about this?

George Percy has never been seen about with any serious girlfriend, blonde or otherwise. He was a close friend of Pippa's years ago and that's all it was. Friendship.

On another  forum years and years and years ago, a poster claimed that he was going out with someone and said she stayed with the Percys sometimes and provided lots of imaginative details. When asked to verify her claims photographically (and this was in the days before smart phones) or otherwise, she couldn't and ceased posting.

I used to follow the single Prince Harry's circle which contained Lady Missy Percy before her first marriage, and later used to see photos of George's brother Lord Max with several girlfriends but George was always solo or hanging about with Pippa. So I think you can draw your own conclusions! 

AristoHisto

Quote from: Blue Clover on April 06, 2024, 03:27:34 AMWelcome, Aristo Histo!

Thank you! So happy to be here- and love catching up on all of these threads :)

AristoHisto

Quote from: Curryong on April 08, 2024, 04:05:18 AMGeorge Percy has never been seen about with any serious girlfriend, blonde or otherwise. He was a close friend of Pippa's years ago and that's all it was. Friendship.

On another  forum years and years and years ago, a poster claimed that he was going out with someone and said she stayed with the Percys sometimes and provided lots of imaginative details. When asked to verify her claims photographically (and this was in the days before smart phones) or otherwise, she couldn't and ceased posting.

I used to follow the single Prince Harry's circle which contained Lady Missy Percy before her first marriage, and later used to see photos of George's brother Lord Max with several girlfriends but George was always solo or hanging about with Pippa. So I think you can draw your own conclusions! 

Ok this sounds more accurate then! The last woman I'd seen him with was at Pippa's wedding and that was apparently a friend's sister. Thank you!