G Forces experienced during the crash

Started by Mike, April 28, 2014, 06:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

NOVA | All About G Forces

QuoteMagnitude and duration are as critical as direction . . . there is a limit to what anyone can take. Princess Diana tragically proved that. Experts estimate that, in the car accident that killed her, the G forces on her chest were about 70 G's (and 100 G's on her head). That acceleration was enough to tear the pulmonary artery in her heart, an injury almost impossible to survive. If Diana had been wearing a seatbelt, the G forces would have been in the neighborhood of 35 G's, and she may have lived.
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

TLLK

An object at rest tends to stay at rest...

Can't fight the laws of physics.  :no:

sandy

This is purely speculation. Nobody knows how it would have turned out. The long long long trip to the hospital should not be ignored as a factor in her death. What's the point of talking about seatbelts--first of all there is speculation that they were broken and they may not have made any difference. Is this a way of slamming Diana blaming her for it? Just what is the point--it's not going to bring her back to life.

TLLK

No just stating what happens to objects including a human body when there is a high speed impact into a solid object such as a concrete wall. :( A restraint device would have left significant bruising and there is every likelihood that any of the passengers would still be injured, but not so severely. Two were dead at the scene and Diana's injuries were not likely to be repaired due to their severity.

sandy

But we have no clue about what ifs in this case--it's all speculation and to me rather pointless since Diana is dead and gone and this will not bring her back to life.

I think the slow trip to the hospital did her in.

Mike

Quote from: sandy on April 29, 2014, 12:21:43 AMIs this a way of slamming Diana blaming her for it? Just what is the point--it's not going to bring her back to life.
I'm simply presenting an article that addresses a question I had.  "How many G forces were sustained by those in the car?"
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

sandy

I am not even sure the Inquest delved into this. But as I said it's fruitless since it can't bring the people back.  There are crash tests going on and I am not sure if one was done for this make car or simulation of similar accidents. I doubt it.