I'm Going To Follow My Own Path, Says Albert On Pressure To Marry!

Started by angieuk, May 27, 2009, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angieuk

Orchid

For such a senior Royal (even one of such a small principality) that's quite a frank and open interview.  I'm pleasantly surprised. It's rather refreshing.

I suppose one can't knock him for wanting to take things at his own pace, but then as a man, he can afford to wait and choose a time that suits him rather than his 'biological clock' when considering the perfect time to produce an heir. So I hope he's factoring Charlene into his choices if he's considering her as his Princess. As a woman she doesn't have the same luxury of time. But then I suppose that's the upside of choosing a girlfriend (and potential bride) several years younger ;)
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Countessa

It sounds to me like he is once again blowing off marriage and will date Charlene until he tires of her and then move on to someone else. I guess we just have to accept this from him. When saying he thinks any woman would be compared (presumably unfavorably) to his mother (and who wouldn't be?), he seems to be saying that it is he who doesn't want anyone to take the place of his mother and I've always suspected that he wants to preserve his mother's iconic memory in Monaco by never replacing her. Just a theory.

Robertj

I would suspect the least of the various reasons would be the mother thing.  Just looking at his dating and having fun, fun habits --I would say someone like his mother, deep in his psyche, is far from his admiration of a woman. A "princess-type" personality would not go along with his style of man-woman relationships.

I'm wondering if there isn't some truth to the belief by many people who know him that he simply is not going to get married. Just looking at his personality and dating record and comments and excuses, etc--that he might have difficulty giving up his freedom.  He truly might be horrified at the notion and will go on as someone said doing the tire of thing and moving on to the next.  Maybe thats the best he can do and survive psychologically.

Orchid

It's quite possible.  Some people simply aren't inclined to pursue social tradition and expectations. It's reasonable to consider this a possible factor affecting Prince Albert and his disinclination to marry thus far.

I think the majority of society are at ease with the social conventions of marriage and what it signifies in terms of life-long commitment, children etc; but then there are some, perhaps like Albert, who are not so inclined to fall inline with the prospect of formalising relationships during a lifetime or living life in such a way as to adhere to traditional schedules and demands.

Or, we spectators are simply over analysing his situation and choices and overlooking the very real possibility that he just refuses to bow to public pressure and will do things in his own time and own way despite his age and despite his position.

:drama:
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Miss Scarlett

I always thought he wouldn't get married at this late stage simply because whichever of Caroline's sons (always forget who's older) --hasn't he been in training for quite awhile now to take over from Prince Albert?

I just assumed that Albert would factor that into his decision, as well...  But poor Charlene if he's not going to marry her!  I'm sure she's expecting it at some point...

Mrs.WilliamWindsor

Come, gentle night; come, loving, black-browed night;
Give me my Romeo; and, when I shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night... Romeo and Juliet Act III scene ii