Books written about and by the Sussexes Part 4.

Started by TLLK, February 10, 2023, 11:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Welcome to Part Four of Books written about and by the Sussexes.

The previous thread can be found here.

Books written about and by the Sussexes Part 3.

HistoryGirl2

I?m glad to read that Sasha was only joking because that would truly have been ridiculous. I didn?t know she?d been on Piers Morgan?s show. Not exactly the pinnacle of anyone?s life to be on there, in my opinion. But I agree with @TLLK. Both people over shared and now you have all this hoopla over something that most people would consider private.

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 11, 2023, 03:45:06 AM
I?m glad to read that Sasha was only joking because that would truly have been ridiculous. I didn?t know she?d been on Piers Morgan?s show. Not exactly the pinnacle of anyone?s life to be on there, in my opinion. But I agree with @TLLK. Both people over shared and now you have all this hoopla over something that most people would consider private.

I truly hope that this is the last of Sasha's appearances as IMO the story has definitely run its course.  And that wish also applies to Prince Harry's decision to share too many details about a certain body part.  :notamused:

HistoryGirl2

Yes, the oversharing is particularly unfortunate from both of them.

Curryong

A review of Spare from Forbes, and a very different take on it from the British media?s.

Spare By Prince Harry, The Duke Of Sussex ? Review

I found Spare by Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex (and his ghost writer, J.R. Moehringer) (Random House, 2022: Amazon US / Amazon UK), to be sensible, carefully structured (for the most part) and extremely readable. Unlike all the abuse spouted by its detractors, this book wasn?t scandalous, and it wasn?t self-aggrandizing. Instead, it was a very down-to-earth, very absorbing memoir by and about a person who, through no fault of his own, is living an extraordinary life. In short: I enjoyed it and read it in one long sitting.

As he tells his story, Prince Harry also considers the central issues in his own personal life, core issues that all thinking people recognize and reflect upon at some point in their own lives. The book is, by turns, emotional and raw and funny and perceptive. For example, I found it to be particularly poignant that Harry was only too well aware of his primary purpose and duties as The Spare even when he was still a very young child.

HistoryGirl2

Well, yes, monarchies are unfair by their nature. I?m not sure that Harry suffered any more than any other second son in terms of not being born first. That?s why I actually felt his book to be a little ridiculous. Because if anything, it?s an argument against monarchies. Against princes in general. But that?s not at all what he?s arguing for, which leads me to ask, what would have been the solution? Make them co-Princes of Wales?

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 12, 2023, 01:47:02 PM
Well, yes, monarchies are unfair by their nature. I?m not sure that Harry suffered any more than any other second son in terms of not being born first. That?s why I actually felt his book to be a little ridiculous. Because if anything, it?s an argument against monarchies. Against princes in general. But that?s not at all what he?s arguing for, which leads me to ask, what would have been the solution? Make them co-Princes of Wales?

Honestly I don't know the answer to your question and I seriously doubt that any one of Prince Harry's relatives, friends and advisors would have one for you either. From what we know, Prince Harry received all of the training and education for the life he'd wanted as a member of the British Armed Forces. He had the support of the BRF and Ministry of Defense to go to the combat zones which was his desire. After his return, when he realized that the required desk duty was not a role he desired, the BRF supported his decision to retire from the Army and work with fellow veterans. He received  prestigious honorary military appointments: ie: Captain General of the Marines 

Some of his complaints and examples that he's shared ie: William, who do to his age was clearly going through a growth spurt, had a larger bed at Balmoral. Meanwhile at the time, Harry who had not reached that point in his physical development, had a smaller one. Honestly this is fairly typical among many families that there's an impression that one has "more" than the other.  :shrug: Unfortunately these types of revelations do not appear to have impressed the majority of Spare's  reviewers and the general public. Harry's approval rating has drastically dropped in recent months since the release of Harry and Meghan along with his memoir.

Yes hereditary monarchies are inherently unfair, as only one person is going to be the nation's Head of State. From my impression among the world's royal families, the majority of the younger siblings are seemingly content with their place in the family and that the spotlight does not fall on them all the time.

I truly hope for Prince Harry's peace of mind and future happiness that now having aired his grievances to the world, can use this time to focus on the positive aspects of his life and let go of the negativity.

HistoryGirl2

That?s definitely balanced thinking. The first inclination might be, ?Gosh, it?s so unfair that my older sibling gets this, this, and that.? And then as you grow older you can also appreciate the fact that your older sibling also has to carry a great responsibility that you don?t have to. There?s positives and negatives to any situation.

I?m not going to read the book because I personally don?t find Harry to be a very interesting person. His life changes intrigued me because of what it could mean for the BRF. His comments just confuse me, to be honest. I?m not really interested in indulging in any emotion, so that?s likely why. I?m much more interested in solutions.

I actually thought he had solved his problem by leaving the RF, but then I remember that this wasn?t his first desire. It was to be half in and half out, which tells me there?s plenty of things he did enjoy about being a prince. I think he?s probably hurt that his brother and father didn?t support that plan, but he also fails to appreciate the fact that as the Prince of Wales and the King, they have to think of the institution, not just acquiesce to everything he wants because it might hurt his feelings not to.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on February 12, 2023, 02:15:23 PM
Honestly I don't know the answer to your question and I seriously doubt that any one of Prince Harry's relatives, friends and advisors would have one for you either. From what we know, Prince Harry received all of the training and education for the life he'd wanted as a member of the British Armed Forces. He had the support of the BRF and Ministry of Defense to go to the combat zones which was his desire. After his return, when he realized that the required desk duty was not a role he desired, the BRF supported his decision to retire from the Army and work with fellow veterans. He received  prestigious honorary military appointments: ie: Captain General of the Marines 

Some of his complaints and examples that he's shared ie: William, who do to his age was clearly going through a growth spurt, had a larger bed at Balmoral. Meanwhile at the time, Harry who had not reached that point in his physical development, had a smaller one. Honestly this is fairly typical among many families that there's an impression that one has "more" than the other.  :shrug: Unfortunately these types of revelations do not appear to have impressed the majority of Spare's  reviewers and the general public. Harry's approval rating has drastically dropped in recent months since the release of Harry and Meghan along with his memoir.

Yes hereditary monarchies are inherently unfair, as only one person is going to be the nation's Head of State. From my impression among the world's royal families, the majority of the younger siblings are seemingly content with their place in the family and that the spotlight does not fall on them all the time.

I truly hope for Prince Harry's peace of mind and future happiness that now having aired his grievances to the world, can use this time to focus on the positive aspects of his life and let go of the negativity.
Very thoughtful post, as usual, TLLK! I especially like the last sentence, but I don't have faith that he will be able to do that. He has said that he suffers from PTSD depression and that it is a condition that must be managed and will not go away completely. He seems to be unable to think things through in a rational way right now.

Curryong

A typology of Harry?s ?whines? by an American Professor of Psychology (who although having never met Harry has a different take on it.)

Prince Harry's Disappointments, Annoyances, and Hatreds | Psychology Today

The principal targets of Harry?s disappointments are his father, King Charles, and his grandmother, the late Queen Elizabeth. These mainly touch on their inability to express affection or to deviate from convention and rituals. The complaints here are relatively mild and involve a great deal of sympathy for the disappointer, due to the generally positive nature of the relationship and an understanding of the life circumstances (upbringing and social context) that made it difficult for them to behave otherwise.

Charles ?had trouble communicating, trouble listening, trouble being intimate face-to-face.? (p. 31). Instead, when Charles wanted to express affection for or pride in Harry, he would put it in a letter and place it on his son?s pillow. Harry wished his father could have shown his love for him more directly, and expresses mild sadness at Charles? inability to do so.
After the death of his mother, Princess Diana, Harry experienced ??the lack of stability, the lack of warmth, and love, in our home.? (p. 39). Harry expresses disappointment that his dad?s relationship with Camilla was diverting him from his kids at a time when they really needed him.
The Queen is generally exempt from Harry?s whines, except when she is described as a slave to tradition, unwilling to deviate from counsel provided by her conservative advisers. An example, which Harry considered ridiculous, was when she refused to allow his brother to keep his beard or wear his own regimental uniform when he married Kate because they violated protocol. (p. 184)

Curryong

Continuing on from disappointments to Annoyances

Annoyances

Unlike disappointments, which involve regret rather than anger, annoyances involve momentary anger that does not threaten the positive relationship that the person continues to have with the annoyer. Most of the examples of this in Spare involve Harry?s brother, Prince William. After the two brothers married somewhat discordant spouses, however, the relationship began to fray and the anger became more intense.

William was described as unsympathetic to Harry?s emotional struggles, such as when he laughed at Harry?s sweating profusely after having a panic attack while delivering a speech (p. 236).
When Harry first joined his older brother at Eton, his feelings were hurt when ?Willy told me to pretend I didn?t know him.? (p. 42)
When Harry started what became the Invictus Games, he thought he could count on a half-million-pound seed grant from the Royal Foundation, controlled by William and himself. He was startled when his brother objected, claiming it would use up too much money. ?What was going on here? I wondered. Then I realized: My God, sibling rivalry. I put a hand over my eyes. Had we not got past this yet?? (p. 223)

Curryong

Hatreds are, as the Professor observes, relatively few in Spare and generally centre around the tabloid Press (and the men in grey at BP)

Rebecca Brooks, the editor of the biggest tabloid, is described thusly: ?Loathsome toad, I gathered. Everyone who knew her was in full agreement that she was an infected pustule on the arse of humanity, plus a shit excuse for a journalist.? (p. 70) He mostly refuses to use the names of people he hates, so he calls her ?Rehabber Kooks.?
Harry had contempt for some of the PR people who worked for the Queen or for Charles and Camilla. Two hated assistants he refers to as ?the bee and the wasp.? He characterizes them thusly: ?I disliked these men, and they didn?t have any use for me? They considered me irrelevant at best, stupid at worst. Deep down, I feared that each man felt himself to be the One True Monarch, that each was taking advantage of a Queen in her nineties, enjoying his influential position while merely appearing to serve.? (p. 366)
He accuses Camilla of being cozy with the tabloid editors (who she entertained at Clarence House), using them to advance her campaign to become Queen Consort, in part by having an assistant plant stories critical of Harry and William (p. 361). It may be too strong to say he hates Camilla but he comes pretty close.

wannable

With no fact checking, he surely does a great deal of excusing for Harold and how he 'sees fit' with his memory. :hehe:

Invictus Games
GBP 1m of funding for Prince Harry's Invictus Games project was provided by The Royal Foundation, with an equal amount being pledged by Chancellor George Osborne from Treasury funds generated by fines imposed on banks as a result of the Libor scandal. In 2020, the Invictus Games Foundation had a GBP1.77 million income, GBP 560,000 of which came from a grant by The Royal Foundation's Endeavour Fund that was set up by Harry in 2012.

August 2021 The Royal Foundation gave the Invictus Games Foundation GBP 1m (then the Royal Foundation of the DDOC) ⏪  Effectively saving the Invictus Games (it was all over the news)

So basically Harry is moaning (again) about William, when the Invictus Games were founded, Harry had by the 'Endeavour' the half a million he is crying about, which is his, which can be found all over the news, which he used as a ''seed'' 2012, being the first Invictus game 2014. Trying to change history.

changemhysoul

RE: Invictus, I'd like to make a correction.

The Royal Foundation (without Prince Harry, as it was started with Prince Harry and Prince William, Kate was added on when she married in) didn't "gift" money to Invictus and they didn't save it. That money was already ear marked for as money raised by Prince Harry in relationship to the Endeavor Awards.

Once Harry and Meghan left, everything charity related to go through a wait period for the funds to be released. That money was already for Prince Harry, raised by a foundation that he was apart of and helped build. Once he split, after review and etc, the funds were released to the people they were already owed too (Prince Harry, Invictus and etc). Invictus has other partnerships and sponsors so it was never in a position that it needed 'saving'

The Cambridge's giving money to 'save' Invictus was always a media spin because that money already belonged to Invictus. The media took this spin and ran with it but if anyone did any digging into the report, they'd would've seen that, it was a lie and some good PR for KP.

Money owed is not money gifted.

https://twitter.com/royal_suitor/status/1428500436961546240

This thread explains it in details and goes through the report.

TLLK

Let's make the above post the last one regarding the Royal Foundation and the Invictus Games. Further off topic posts will be removed. 

For further discussion about Invictus and the Royal Foundation - Archewell Foundation, Invictus and other charities, news and activities Part 4

Royal Foundation News

wannable

^ And yet in his book he trashes his brother.  2 Facts taken from the 'accounting books' show irrefutably that Harry is a liar with his memory as I see fit.

changemhysoul

I disagree with you based on what I posted is all I can say. As what I posted, proves Harry's point about this own foundation and the media spin that was put out as a lie.

Harry talks about William in his book, based on how he was treated by William.

If people don't want to be talked about bad about in books based on they treat people, then they shouldn't do it.

Most of what Harry said in his book isn't being denied, it's that people are upset he said anything about it.

What was said to private conversations isn't being denied, what has most worked up is that he talked about it. And when it comes to that, oh well, I find what was being said to him worse than him revealing what was said and I don't think that's something we'll agree on but I respect that you see if a different way.

I also respect that William might feel some type of way, I just don't believe in William

wannable

Harold is obsessed with William, mentioning Willy 360plus times in 400 pages. 

I doubt the senior royals will have a tit for tat with him and feed a soap opera.

The Psychologist based his assessment in a Harold example of W not wanting to fund/seed a project, the facts proved Harold's assessment wrong/lie, the seed came from his own charity under the umbrella as stated in several comments herein mentioned. 

When Harry started what became the Invictus Games, he thought he could count on a half-million-pound seed grant from the Royal Foundation, controlled by William and himself. He was startled when his brother objected, claiming it would use up too much money. ?What was going on here? I wondered. Then I realized: My God, sibling rivalry. I put a hand over my eyes. Had we not got past this yet?? (p. 223)

See what Harold wrote. BUT what we both posted proves this to be a lie. The seed came from E which was under the umbrella of the F, even the chancellor at that time doubled the moneys.

HistoryGirl2

I don?t know about lies or truths, but I do know that what Harry wrote is his *perception* of what occurred, not necessarily what actually happened or the intent behind the actions. Just like if William wrote a tell-all book about what an awful person Harry was, that would only be his perception of Harry?s actions.

Especially considering he gives you a disclaimer by specifically stating that this is about how he remembers events and that speaks to truth more than facts. Something I personally categorically reject based on logic.

wannable

The money territory is a serious accusation he is doing versus the financial yearly review signed sealed and delivered by external audit. 

Harold: William didn't want to help me with the moneys, but
Fact: the Financial Yearly Review proves Harold's assessment to be not only untrue, but the UK Government even helped him, might I add not only with moneys but with the UK Olympic Committee workers paid by the UK OC, not by Harry.

He just proves himself to be an ungrateful spoiled little monster.

wannable

In other news related to Harry's virginity, Google Maps hasn't brought down yet this landmark location. In order to place a landmark, it has to be a internal worker at Google.

wannable

I think that is just a begninning of it.  The Pub wants to place a ''blue plaque.

17 year old Prince Harold is  lucky it was his ex friend Sasha who was the only one who protected herself, pill. A gold digger surely would have tried to get pregnant.

Source: Interview with Piers Morgan

Note: She is going to get paid very handsomely, the American (virtual via zoom) TV interview tour

wannable

After the two brothers married somewhat discordant spouses

How does the Psychologist know Kate is a discordant spouse? There hasn't been any Red flag to suggest Kate being discordant. Does he know that the Sussexes are in discordant mode with both sides of the family? Does he know that Kate is not discordant with her family and that of William?

What I do know is since Megxit the Montecito duo have attacked non stop the PPOW's with obsession.

What if Neil Sean is right in some of his Kate news, that I haven't copy/pasted in the RIF. i.e. She sent letters reaching out to help a new Meghan, ignored. Latest Kate had reached out when Meghan was allegedly suicidal, offered to help her, ignored, that Kate privately was (and still is) sad with H and M shenanigans gone public, hence Valentine Low's book said that the staffers think M didn't want help from the word Go, paper trailing here and there to leave with H, registering and keeping her California key personal workers/contacts.

changemhysoul

I would assume that they're assuming information about Kate the way information is assumed about Meghan.

Also, If I was Meghan, I wouldn't trust Kate or really anyone in the family at that point. They had the chance to welcome and her treat her warmly and when she had given Kate an out for Kate's not so nice behavior, she was told she wasn't close enough (but they were close enough for Kate to bagger Meghan about dresses when a tailor arrived, after confirming that she did know what Meghan was going through her father). When she tried to be nice to William, Kate shut it down. Kate, said nothing when it came to all of the hate and abuse Meghan got after that Meghan made Kate cry story when it was the other way around and even know Kate said to Meghan, that she knew it wasn't true. She still sat back and benefitted from the smear, abuse and etc directed at Meghan. So, assuming Neil Sean is right, if I were Meghan, I would wonder if Kate truly meant it or if something else about my life would end up the papers or would it be used for PR. When Meghan was suicidal, it was clear that the people around in her the UK (save for some of those close) were not to be trusted (re: Valentine Low saying that a member of HR told him that Meghan had asked for out-patient treatment for her dangerous thoughts), any reply back to Kate might've ended up in the papers. (Even if it was just a staff member who saw it or was related to it and not Kate herself).

Also, Meghan knew her contracts, work related and etc after many years. There was no reason for to just drop contact when she would've had a close relationship from years of working together. Case in point, when the relationship with Harry was announced and it was clear that they were a serious item, it was NBC who made sure she was safe and secure.

Info dump time:

Spare has reached it's 4th week of being no.1 in The Netherlands.

If anyone lives in Overland Park, KS in the US:
The CoLab at JCCC tweeted

"The JCCC Billington Library will hold a discussion on Thursday, February 23 from 12:15-1PM about the book "Spare" by Prince Harry. Don't have a copy? You could win one by entering the raffle on February 13th and 14th. Free cookies will be provided on February 14th after 10 am!"

https://twitter.com/CoLabJCCC/status/1625193118973718531