Royal Tour: The Republican Perspective and Articles

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 01, 2014, 11:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lothwen

^I read the article.  I find it interesting that they mentioned that the last time the future of the monarchy looked bleak was when you had the Wales and the York divorces, and then the death of Princess Diana.  So basically, the last time there was an overwhelming surge of support for a republic (or at least, disapproval for the monarchy), was when the monarchy no longer provided the fairy tale. 

In other words, if William and Kate were to divorce (which is not unlikely, as over 50% of marriages today end in divorce), and if there were to be some sort of scandal involved with that, then support for the monarchy would decrease.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

PrincessOfPeace

Support for a republic or disapproval of the monarchy even during the 'dark days' of Diana are relative terms at least in Britain.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/poll.aspx?oItemId=122&view=wide

Lothwen

^Perhaps, but in this particular article that's the reference that was made.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Curryong

I remember that period of time very well as I spent part of it in Britain and part in Australia. I do believe that there was a great sense of disillusionment after the marriages of Diana-Charles and Andrew and Fergie went belly-up.

I'm a monarchist, but if I'm honest I think that some of the magic of monarchy disappeared after the very acrimonious end to the Wales's marriage. I believe a large proportion of the British population were invested in that fairy tale wedding in St Paul's.

Of course nowadays, in the Internet era, that sort of atmosphere can't be replicated. It was a more innocent age, even if it was only a few decades ago. I don't think William and Kate's divorcing, if they ever do, would have the same impact. We are all much more cynical now.

Double post auto-merged: April 28, 2014, 11:10:25 AM

Rafaele Piccolo, the author of the article about 'the cult of celebrity' was President of the Adelaide University Union and is a Convener of the South Australian branch of the Fabianists. So my guess is that he is to the Left in his views! Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Orchid

Hello Curryong, welcome to the forum! 
Your thoughts are interesting. In terms of the "magic of monarchy" do you feel that [its] image/branding invites people to invest in them more than, say, the politics of their role? 

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 28, 2014, 03:44:58 AM
Support for a republic or disapproval of the monarchy even during the 'dark days' of Diana are relative terms at least in Britain.

Ipsos MORI | Trend | Monarchy/Royal Family Trends - Monarchy v Republic 1993-2013

At best all we can determine is that support for a republic / opposition to the monarchy is relative to the numbers polled (500-1000 in the case of this Ipso Mori poll) and not relative to Britain as a whole.

Look at the question posed in the poll: "Would you favour Britain becoming a republic or remaining a monarchy?". It invites only a yes or no answer. It doesn't poll the complex conditions under which the UK should switch or remain. I really do oppose polls which approach a complex issue with a one-dimensional yes/no question. It renders the poll worthless.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Curryong

It's probably to do with the generation that I come from. I don't think of the monarchy in terms of image or branding.
It's watching, as a small child, the Queen going by in a state coach to open Parliament, seeing the Crown Jewels, some dating back many centuries.

It's being in a huge crowd in front of Buckingham Palace at the time of the Golden Jubilee and watching a woman who has devoted her life to Britain and the Commonwealth on that famous balcony. The fervour of the crowd and the link between monarch and people. It was almost palpable.

I'm a history buff and yes, I feel the romance of all the centuries when I think of the British monarchy. It is emotion, yes, and I suppose you would say I am blinded by it. I don't think so, of course! I've lived in Australia for many years now, but I still feel it.

Limabeany

:thanks: for sharing your perspective. Do you feel the same about Charles when you see him?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Curryong

I see the position, not particularly the person, with senior royals. I think Charles is an extremely hard working individual who has made a remarkable contribution in his public life. I was not on his side where Diana was concerned, but although saddened by her death, her legacy will go on in her sons.

And yes, when Charles is crowned in the Abbey, I shall be viewing it all. I'm a lost cause for republicanism, I'm afraid!

PrincessOfPeace

Republicans dismiss polls because they don't show the numbers they want. Lets be clear, if Ipsos Mori published numbers that showed support for monarchy faltering, the republicans would be shouting from the roof tops with the polls posted on their website.

Orchid

As you're speaking for ALL people who support a UK Republic model, you're very much making a sweeping generalisation and one which inarguably is insupportable.  It's rather insulting to claim "republicans dismiss polls because they don't show what they want"?  It suggests you're not willing to look at the reasons people "dismiss" the validity of polls.

I don't speak for all "republicans", but speaking for myself, I approach polls with objective caution because of the reasons indicated in my last post and numerous posts before: that being, polls do not do what referendums do. Polls are merely pin hole sized snap shots of a sample number who have been asked to answer closed questions. My dislike of polls applies to all subjects including any polls that suggest a Republic is favoured!
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil