No, Kate isn't ripping up the royal rule book, but that’s not her fault

Started by Limabeany, April 26, 2014, 11:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

New Statesman | No, the Duchess of Cambridge is not ripping up the royal rule book ? but that?s not her fault

Once again, the Duchess of Cambridge has been caught ripping up "the royal rule book". This time it's for carrying baby George rather than allowing a nanny to do it. This is really out there, isn't it? Go Kate! Fuck them, don't do what they told ya!

I'm old enough to remember when Diana brought that same breath-of-fresh-air sense of rebellion to royal motherhood. It's as strained and artificial then as it is now. Sure, Kate seems to love motherhood in the same way Diana did, which is nice, but the way the tabloids and glossies try to big this up as a dramatic shift establishment mores is painful. Seriously, your son is cute and I'm glad you don't hate him but I still want to see a republic asap.

It doesn't take a great deal of critical though to see how ridiculous the whole Kate the Rebel construct is. Nonetheless, it's such a common trope – see a woman doing a traditional woman-y thing and present it as something radical
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.