Prince and Princess of Wales future roles

Started by Curryong, December 16, 2015, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

I believe that the Cambridges would prefer to be called "William and Catherine" but won't object if someone says "Kate" or "Will."
As to bows and curtsies, both are current considered to be optional when greeting a member of the British Royal Family.

Here's the official protocol from the British Monarchy website.

Greeting a Member of The Royal Family | The Royal Family

QuoteThere are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms.For men this is a neck bow (from the head only) whilst women do a small curtsy. Other people prefer simply to shake hands in the usual way.

On presentation to The Queen, the correct formal address is 'Your Majesty' and subsequently 'Ma'am,' pronounced with a short 'a,' as in 'jam'.

For male members of the Royal Family the same rules apply, with the title used in the first instance being 'Your Royal Highness' and subsequently 'Sir'.

For other female members of the Royal Family the first address is conventionally 'Your Royal Highness' and subsequently 'Ma'am'.

Macrobug67

wannable

NEW TITLES

As the heir to the throne, William now automatically assumes titles including Duke of Cornwall, Earl of Chester and Duke of Rothesay for use when in Scotland.

As his wife, Kate gets the female equivalent of these titles - Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Chester and Duchess of Rothesay.

However, they are not losing their Duke and Duchess of Cambridge titles - these new titles will be additions.

This means they are now styled the TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge.

In addition, George is now Prince George of Cornwall and Cambridge, Charlotte is Princess Charlotte of Cornwall and Cambridge and Louis is now Prince Louis of Cornwall and Cambridge.

PRINCE OF WALES TITLES

This is one title that has not automatically been passed on to William - it is only given to the heir apparent at the discretion of the monarch.

Should Charles bestow this honour on William, and it is likely that he will at some point in the near future, William will become the Prince of Wales.

Kate therefore will become the Princess of Wales - a title held by her late mother-in-law Princess Diana - and George will become Prince George of Wales.

Charlotte will become Princess Charlotte of Wales and Louis, Prince Louis of Wales.

DUCHY OF CORNWALL

Not only has William now inherited new titles, he has also inherited the ?1billion Duchy of Cornwall estate.

The estate is made up of around 134,000 acres of land in more than 23 counties in the UK.

It reportedly generated ?20.5million in 2019, which Charles used to fund his public, charitable and private activities.

In a documentary from the same year, Prince Charles: Inside the Duchy of Cornwall, William talked about taking on the estate one day.

STATE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT

May this year, William attended the State Opening of Parliament for the first time ever, accompanying his father Prince Charles and his wife Camilla.

During the event, William took his place in the procession behind the Imperial State Crown and sat at the side of Charles, who had the responsibility to read the Queen's speech.

wannable

Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge (@dukeandduchessofcambridge) ? Instagram photos and videos

Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge
The official Instagram account of The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge, based at Kensington Palace.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal

The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge
@KensingtonRoyal
The official account of The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge and the Royal Foundation, based at Kensington Palace.

wannable

PRINCE OF WALES TITLE

We will likely* also witness the Investiture of William. *Charles would need to make a new letters patent.

(Prince Charles was made the Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester by letters patent on 26 July 1958 (age 10) but the official investiture was not held until 1 July 1969 (age 22). The ceremony was at Caernarfon Castle).

wannable

Another POW timing

Cepe Smith
@CepeSmith
In Jan 1901, Q Victoria died and Edward, PoW became king.
His son, George, became Duke of Cornwall and York (previous DoY) immediately.
It was 10 months later that George became Prince of Wales.

Curryong

1969 was a very different time and Charles was a very young POW. I can remember the investiture in 1969. It took a lot of planning and was expensive. With a royal funeral and a Coronation coming up in months I don?t think the country would welcome another blowout in the expenses for a 40 year old. Maybe for George, if the monarchy lasts that long.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 08, 2022, 08:41:12 PM
Another POW timing

Cepe Smith
@CepeSmith
In Jan 1901, Q Victoria died and Edward, PoW became king.
His son, George, became Duke of Cornwall and York (previous DoY) immediately.
It was 10 months later that George became Prince of Wales.

Yes, Mary Duchess of C complained about the wait. No official reason was ever given for the delay but it was believed that Edward VII was very attached to the title of Prince of Wales, which he had from birth and was reluctant to pass it on.

PrincessOfPeace

For the time being William is HRH The Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Carrick and Baron Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 08, 2022, 08:50:38 PM
For the time being William is HRH The Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Carrick and Baron Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

Yes. He?s inherited Charles?s titles. They haven?t been created anew for him or anything.

Macrobug67

New thread for the new POW as just announced by KC in his speech. 

wannable

Speaking about Prince William, he added: "With Catherine beside him, our new Prince and Princess of Wales will, I know, continue to inspire and lead our national conversations, helping to bring the marginal to the centre ground where vital help can be given.''

👏🏻

wannable

The transition is working at fast speed.  I personally like this fast movements because HMKCIII is in his 70's and William is entering his 40's. I've read tweets from people all across the board, I captured the majority of young like fast transition and the elderly are divided with slow and fast, perhaps because they lived so much during HMQEII era.

Today, I am proud to create him Prince of Wales, Tywysog Cymru, the country whose title I have been so greatly privileged to bear during so much of my life and duty.

Nightowl

Yes, and I bet this was discussed a long time ago by the royal family as part of the transition of Charles taking over when HM passes on.  The monarchy is moving in the right directions and it shows that the monarchy is at work still and moving on.   My very best wishes and may blessing fly to Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine and the royal family. 

wannable

And so far, phew, both households BP and CH are working together, no internal leaks of staff conflict. It does seem that when HMQEII passed on a lot of her duties to Charles and William, they started scheduling what will happen. I'm actually delighted with the swiftness of it.

I sincerely hope and actually think (almost 99% sure) that their Best HR Head will do the 'best practices with mergers' (there are many examples around the world when two or more companies come together and they find themselves with double personnel, some clashing with the same 'title' or job description). The latest best practices is the loser is given a 6 to 12 months half pay of Leave of Absence and helping the person land a new job. Many of this type of situation is happening now a days because of the Pandemic economy loss due to lockdown (s). I HOPE WILLIAM CAN ABSORB STAFFERS FROM BP OR CH. He and Kate will need it as their duties as POW will also grow and be different.

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal

The Prince and Princess of Wales
@KensingtonRoyal
The official account of The Prince and Princess of Wales and The Royal Foundation, based at Kensington Palace.

Instagram too.

Macrobug67

Many of those articles are wrong.  Camilla was also Princess of Wales.  She just preferred to use the Cornwall title.

Blue Clover

An exciting new set of duties for the new Prince and Princess of Wales.

Curryong

One thing one can say is that there has been a lot of work for moderators and admin on royal forums in changing changing threads and royal titles over the last three days in a way that has been unprecedented! What a remarkable three days it has been, really!

TLLK

@Curryong-The current status of the moderation team lounge... : :wacko: :jawdrop:

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 08, 2022, 08:50:38 PM
And today it was updated to the following:
William is now HRH The Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester*, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Carrick, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Renfrew, Baron Carrickfergus, Lord of the Isle, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on September 10, 2022, 12:08:35 AM
@Curryong-The current status of the moderation team lounge... : :wacko: :jawdrop:

Well, perhaps a drinkie winks or two will be coming after that. I send you a virtual bottle of champagne each.

PrincessOfPeace

"King Charles III has enjoyed a long and enduring friendship with Wales.

Today, in his first public duty as Monarch, he has bestowed the title of Prince of Wales to his eldest son William.

We look forward to deepening our relationship with the new Prince and Princess."

- Mark Drakeford, First Minister of Wales.

Macrobug67

Quote from: Curryong on September 10, 2022, 12:13:38 AM
Well, perhaps a drinkie winks or two will be coming after that. I send you a virtual bottle of champagne each.

Bit off topic? sorry ( bad mod, bad).  But just wait until they start changing the patronages around.  That?s not going to be fun.