Prince and Princess of Wales future roles

Started by Curryong, December 16, 2015, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Looking forward to seeing this when it comes out.

Macrobug67

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

:crown: Place to discuss Prince William's ongoing preparation to take on his future role as Prince of Wales

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge might only be second in line to the throne and it may be several years before he is monarch, but he and his wife are already preparing to be King and Queen.

Unlike his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II, Prince William has known from a young age he will one day be crowned King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

But even if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can count on the privilege of preparing for such a day, they will still face unprecedented challenges during William's reign.

In the latest in our monthly video series, Royal Insight with Camilla Tominey, The Telegraph's Associate Editor analyses how the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are preparing for their future role as King and Queen.

Video from royal reporter Camilla Tominey as to how the Cambridges are preparing for William's next role and when he is the monarch.

How Prince William and Kate are preparing for the throne | Royal Insight with Camilla Tominey - YouTube

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on January 05, 2021, 09:29:16 PM
:crown: s

Video from royal reporter Camilla Tominey as to how the Cambridges are preparing for William's next role and when he is the monarch.

How Prince William and Kate are preparing for the throne | Royal Insight with Camilla Tominey - YouTube
A thoughtful piece.  What I hope is that it will be at least a few years away.  It would be good for the transition if a period of happiness and success takes place before the next big event.

TLLK

How Kate is filling the shoes of Princess Diana | Royal Insight with Camilla Tominey - YouTube

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge has devoted the last ten years of her life to her Early Years campaign. The work she has done highlights the impact a child's first years of life will carry for the rest of their life.

This, The Telegraph's Camilla Tominey says, is part of Kate's drive to establish herself as a senior Royal with her own legacy, rather than being eternally attached to the work of her husband, the Duke of Cambridge. Since her marriage into the Royal family, Kate has been working in the background to build a long-lasting legacy. It follows in the footsteps of Diana, the late Princess of Wales.

TryingTimes

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Another "embiggening" effort to detract from her "Waity Katy" reputation! Still waiting for that Queen's crown!!!!
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value." --Thomas Paine

TLLK

:welcome: @Trying Times. It's good to see you posting again.  When you consider QEII's health, I agree that it's likely to be awhile before Catherine or even Camilla will be wearing the consort's crown. :Jen:

In the meantime, both seem to be focusing on their own projects and supporting their monarch and spouses.

LouisFerdinand

What will Prince William be called? 
William has the option of choosing a new regnal name when he becomes King.   
Will he be William V?

TLLK

I believe that he'll be William V rather than another George or Edward or Henry. I don't see him taking one of his other names: Arthur, Phillip or Louis either.

Curryong

Why would he be anything other than King William V? Arthur has never been used for a viable English King, Philip, in its several spellings, is associated with other monarchies, as is Louis, which is also regarded as being French by many. Plus I've never heard that William hates his name.

It's not as if he's ever been linked to any other forename even informally, like Bertie, or David, all three of whom (Kings Edward VII and VIII and George VI) went the traditional route of their ancestors in their choice of regnal name anyway.

It's like the old story out of nowhere about Charles wanting to become George VII when he finally becomes King because allegedly (though correctly IMO ) he regards the Stuarts as an ill-starred lot. But he will be crowned as King Charles III.

He's had a while to wait anyway, and when he finally gets there he could be King for twenty years or more, so William may well not be monarch until his sixties. So it's hardly an immediate decision!

Having said all that,n it will be a change to see a Charles and a William enthroned. There have been IMO far too many Georges, Edwards and Henries on the English/British throne. Time for something a bit different!

Double post auto-merged: February 05, 2021, 09:13:55 AM

From William the Conquerer we've had 8 Henries, 8 Edwards, 6 Georges, 4 Williams, 3 Richards, 2 James, 2 Elizabeths, 2 Marys and 2 Charles. (Thank heavens for that variety, and for the singletons Victoria, Anne, John, Stephen and Matilda sprinkled in there.)

TLLK

He could be King Stephen II but that's going to create a huge number of Stephen King related memes. :D Better yet, King Victor. :D

I'm pretty sure it will be William V. :crown:

sara8150

Prince William will gain TWO new titles 'moment' his father Charles becomes king | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Duke of Cambridge have two titles will become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay but remain his dukedom titles Duke of Cambridge but Prince Charles will appoint his elder son William Prince of Wales when Charles become king..

Not yet automatically titles become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay wait till Prince Charles become king

LouisFerdinand

Would the title of Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge be considered a joint title?

Macrobug67

wannable

The Duke and Duchess are hiring! Prince William and Kate Middleton are seeking a Senior Communications Officer who can 'handle sensitive information with tact and discretion'.

Charlotte Pool is the actual holder since 2014, apparently she's  leaving or promoted to a new position?!

Like the entire BM posted the vacant, not one mentioned  Ms. Pool

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on March 23, 2021, 08:27:43 PM
Would the title of Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge be considered a joint title?
Would it not be better for the joint title to be in full: Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Cambridge?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on May 09, 2021, 10:11:46 PM

Would it not be better for the joint title to be in full: Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Cambridge?

Probably, but except on certain State occasions the long list of titles held by the heir to the Throne aren?t usually read out and subsidiary titles don?t really come into the equation. The last time an adult married heir was in the position thatWilliam will be in was George V.

He was the Duke of York (with its own subsidiary titles of course) from 1892 until the moment his father became Edward VII in 1901. (That in itself was unusual as the Dukedom of York is usually reserved for the second son of the sovereign.)  George then automatically became Duke of Cornwall (and later the Prince of Wales.) Even in those much more formal days I?ve never heard that George was customarily called by both Dukedoms in the Press and by others when addressed by them, though they were of course both kept as his stylings until he became POW in November 1901.

Amabel2

Quote from: Kritter on June 01, 2021, 12:17:38 PM
William has proven that he & Kate don't have what it takes.

All that it "takes" is to be the eldest child of the King....

wannable

Amabel2

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on February 05, 2021, 02:27:26 PM
He could be King Stephen II but that's going to create a huge number of Stephen King related memes. :D Better yet, King Victor. :D

I'm pretty sure it will be William V. :crown:
I dont think there have been any cases of a British king taking a name that they weren't given, as regnal names.  Popes sometimes take a name that isn't their own but not British Kings.  So I think that King Stephen is off the chart,,,
and I dont think William would adopt one of his other names.. so its almost certainly William V

wannable

Quote from: Amabel2 on June 01, 2021, 01:31:11 PM
What does that mean?

Means the couple are consistent, and to date have not quit.

Amabel2

Well yes, they are a reasonably consistent pair. I think that they do their job, but are not exactly rushing towards the day they'll be King and queen.  However they are not likely to walk out.  But they just have to be willing ot do the job and to be as Will is, the eldest son of the future King.

Macrobug67

Quote from: Kritter on June 01, 2021, 12:17:38 PM
William has proven that he & Kate don't have what it takes.

Interesting statement.  I am intrigued to find out what you mean by this.  Do you have specific examples of him not being capable? 

It seems to me that through the carefully built up charities, the many programs and schemes that the Royal foundation have developed, through the impressive international activity on wildlife conservation and protection, his obvious work towards taking over Duchy of Cornwall and the steady work he and Kate have been doing over the years for the Queen that he has proven he is more than ready to take over as Duke of Cornwall and POW.