Who will reign next?

Started by TLLK, May 10, 2023, 12:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

With the death of the UK's Queen Elizabeth II and the subsequent coronation of King Charles III, who do you believe will be the next heir to ascend to the throne?
In my opinion it's most likely to be Norway's Crown Prince Haakon due to his father's advancing age (85) and on going health concerns.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on May 10, 2023, 12:28:05 PM
With the death of the UK's Queen Elizabeth II and the subsequent coronation of King Charles III, who do you believe will be the next heir to ascend to the throne?
In my opinion it's most likely to be Norway's Crown Prince Haakon due to his father's advancing age (85) and on going health concerns.

Yes I agree. King Harald has had many concerning health issues in the last two years especially. However, he has spoken of a possible abdication and, like Queen Margrethe of Denmark who is also in her 80s, has discounted it. They were both close to Queen Elizabeth and admired her. She of course went on to the end. I?m not so sure as I once was that this is the way to proceed really. As monarchs?  life spans extend in modern times it tends to end in a log jam of middle aged heirs and young adult heirs of heirs. I do see Norway and then Denmark as the next two to have their heirs accede.

TLLK

Here's an overview of  Europe's heirs-to-the-throne. Denmark's CP Frederik is currently the longest serving heir while his counterpart in the UK is the newest one. The youngest heir is Prince Jacques from Monaco (9) and the eldest is CP Frederik. There is also an equal number of male and female heirs in Europe which I believe is a first in European history.

The heirs of 2023: who?s first in line to the thrones of Europe? ? Royal Central

Curryong

Yes certainly in past centuries, even in minor German Courts royal families would go to extreme measures to make sure there were male rulers, heirs and regents. Victoria and before her Elizabeth I, were the great long-ruling exceptions. Of course since the 19th century the Dutch have been the exception to this, but I suppose Felipe having daughters as well, and Cr Prss Victoria of Sweden having a daughter as well as Haakon of Norway the same,  changed the dynamic a bit over the last twenty years.

TLLK

@Curryong- Yes this situation is far different from the past 100 years or so where only the Dutch and British monarchies were the exceptions to having women as the monarch. Most of the European royal households have formally adopted full primogeniture except maybe Lichtenstein.

LouisFerdinand

With the declaration that Queen Margrethe II of Denmark will abdicate on January 14, 2024: The new sovereign will be King Frederik X.

wannable

[Wim Dehandschutter]
@WDehandschutter
❗️ Interesting fact:

After Queen Elisabeth?s death [🇬🇧] and Queen Margrethe?s abdication [🇩🇰], all 10 reigning monarchies in Europe will be ruled by men.

Nevertheless, the future will be feminine: Elisabeth [🇧🇪], Amalia [🇳🇱], Ingrid Alexandra [🇳🇴], Leonor [🇪🇸] and Estelle [🇸🇪].

Curryong

Yes but Norway (where King Harald is elderly and in poor health) will be ruled by a male in the person of his son Crown Prince Haakon for the next several decades, God willing, when his time comes. Also Luxembourg and Monaco, though not monarchies, have male heirs. So does the UK of course.

And it?s arguable that, in spite of her firm beliefs, the late Queen Elizabeth II should have abdicated when Charles was in his 60s and spent the last decade of her life in peaceful semi retirement with PP. I think abdication may well become the new norm in this century.

wannable

I hope retiring/abdicating is the new norm. Grandparents should enjoy it like every citizen in the world.

The 'working' until 65 to 75/each country's retiring age (social security and pension reasons) should be adopted by monarchies too. Get a hobby to keep mind/body active.

wannable

Gert's Royals
@Gertsroyals
Current European Monarchs by Length of Reign:

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark 🇩🇰 - 51 years (will hit 52 yrs  when she abdicates)
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden 🇸🇪 - 50 yr

Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein 🇱🇮 - 34 yr
King Harald VI of Norway 🇳🇴 - 32 yr

Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg 🇱🇺 - 23 yr

Prince Albert II of Monaco 🇲🇨 - 18 yr

King Willem-Alexander of Netherlands 🇳🇱 - 10 yr
King Philippe of Belgium 🇧🇪  - 10 yr
King Felipe of Spain 🇪🇸 - 9 yr

King Charles of UK 🇬🇧 - 1 yr

TLLK

If I were to wager, I  would say that the next abdication will be Norway's King Harald.  There's also support for Sweden's Carl Gustav to abdicate in favor of Victoria. 
With 2 recent family losses, Lichtenstein's Hans Adam might be considering handing everything over to Alois.
We could expect  Luxembourg's Henri to abdicate in a few years too.