Books written about and by the Sussexes Part 4.

Started by TLLK, February 10, 2023, 11:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Ill fitting dresses to ALL the girls were fixed.

One can't compare that to being called baby brain by a new comer.

Proof that Meghan and Harry are discordant with both families is public knowledge to everyone.

So she conveniently other than keeping her California people,  also registered company names and filmed everything before marrying, we are talking about 2017.  :happy15: Right! 

HistoryGirl2

I think everyone just needs to get over it. I think the RF certainly has. No apology will be forthcoming from William and Kate because rightly or wrongly, they do not believe they are in the wrong. Harry and Meghan have the life they apparently dreamed of and if the RF is that patently awful, why would they want to talk to them anyway?

Sometimes family doesn?t get on. It?s not exactly unheard of. They don?t care for her. The staff at KP doesn?t care for her. Maybe it?s because of her race, maybe it?s because they?re all jealous of her, or maybe it?s because she didn?t treat them as well as she would like everyone to believe.

I really wish they had just moved to California and not said another word about them, to Oprah or anyone else. I would have actually really respected that. But as it stands, it really does feel like they?re being hypocritical about media, whilst making a pretty penny off of that obsession with royals that they deem to be so toxic.

wannable

Meghan (and Harold the accessory) had their initial talks with Oprah 2018 before Meghan's alleged suicide thoughts when she was pregnant, if that doesn't tell you that they were discordant since the word Go, whilst registering in Delaware a whole bunch of companies too.  We have 2 ladies, one that worked for 18 years with the Queen, another for 5 plus years with Hilary Clinton, both ladies were collateral damage to the Duo.   

At this point they don't care that people (a lot of people because they over exposed themselves with all types of media outlets) know.

HistoryGirl2

Their words are just contradictory to the actions in a lot of scenarios, in my opinion. For example, when Kate felt that she had made Meghan feel bad, Kate apologized and sent her a gift. She didn?t say, ?Oh well, I didn?t mean to hurt you, so it?s no big deal.? She reached out to the person who felt hurt and apologized, regardless of whether she really felt she was in the wrong or not. When Kate felt and voiced that Meghan had hurt her feelings, Meghan just told her that?s how she talked to friends and offered no apology for her actions.

Harry felt that William wasn?t being welcoming to Meghan, but what William was doing was standing up for staff members that, in their estimation, weren?t being treated fairly. I?ve said it before, but as someone that isn?t exactly any type of fan of William and Kate, Harry?s comments about them actually made them sound pretty mature.

I guess what?s really strange is that they don?t seem to understand that their feelings aren?t the only ones that matter, and that other people may have their own boundaries and preferences. And it?s not their right to have everything their way at every point.

wannable

There is a great deal of contradictions from the Oprah, The Cut, Vanity Fair, Netflix, Spare, etc. Too much over exposure I lost count, and it is hard to keep up.  People who aren't royal watchers started to note the contradictions. Others who lost interest, literally gone for years are back in social media discussing it, mostly because of the alcohol and drug abuse.

Then there is the couple's own stories that backfired like the (stupid and why would one publish it) lip gloss gate in Harry's book. This is just one example that ladies magazines worldwide even did a poll about 'sharing' lip gloss be it squeezed to the finger or direct to the lips, all with a landslide majority of No don't share rather than Harry (and Meghan) wanting to shame Kate for hesitating to share her lip gloss.  Boundaries? I wish Kate had told Meghan, you can keep it.  Just in case, the minority of people who said Yes because it's the squeeze tube, hands is the most germ receptor anywhere indoors and outdoors. Fact. Makeup is not shared.  I personally hate when someone wants to use my eyeshadow, and even gave me the excuse that she won't use my brush but rub her finger on the eyeshady, it ended in the waste basket.  Boundaries, none, my home invitation, never again. Let's meet at the pub shall we... :happy15:

Boundaries, Harry said Meghan has no boundaries.  There, I said it.  No boundaries, no respect for anyone.

HistoryGirl2

^ Yeah, that was just gross. Something I did back in middle school, but wouldn?t imagine asking even my best friend to do, much less my boyfriend?s sister.

And that?s another example. Very minute. But it?s the idea that not everyone sees something the same way you do, and upon even a modicum of self reflection, I would hope any adult would be understanding of the fact that not everyone is comfortable sharing things that go on your lips.

changemhysoul

For the 5th Week, Spare is at the top of the The NY Times Best Sellers list for nonfiction for Hardcover and Combined Print and E-Books.  Spare is also the No. 1 audiobook on Audible.

I thought 3 weeks max, since the hype and hubbub around it has died down. Even with the Sasha coming out, it didn't do much. Now, I truly expect it to start to free fall, by the end of the month maybe in the top 10?  but we'll see

changemhysoul

Spare has 4.8 rating on Audible with 50K reviews.

Impressive.

I'm more impressed by how well it's continuing to do while being a little over a month out. And with little promotion (by normal book promotion standards.) by Prince Harry

Amabel2

Littltle promotion?  You must be kidding.  Harry has been on TV and the internet and talking about the book,

changemhysoul

No.

I'm not kidding, I meant it, how I said it.

Harry hasn't been on the internet talking about the book. Unless you know of some social media account, article or etc, he, himself has written.

As I said, compared to normal book promotions, it's been little. He gave an interview to ITV, CBS, Good Morning from the comfort of his home. The interview with Bryony from his home. The only one he traveled too, was for the Colbert Show. Normal promotions include, book signings and tours. He announced he was having a book, said nothing about it until it was time for released, did his interviews and has been silent again.

Michelle, has been did 13 stops for her books, including panels. 13 compared to five.

Random House didn't release a bunch of banners or ads for the book. Archewell as no social media so it wasn't being promoted that way. He hasn't been seen or heard from since the Colbert.

We on this forum, and the British Media and some American outlets have talked about his book more than he has promoted it.

So, amazing sells and staying power for a book that received little promotion from the author himself.

Amabel2

Amazing indeed that so many will buy a nonsenical book full of lies and nastiness, but then  lots of rubbish books sell very well.

changemhysoul

Either way, still amazing sells and reviews for a book that's been out a little past a month with little promotion, as compared to normal promotion.

If you feel like it's a bunch of lies, I can only, personally, disagree with you.

Amabel2

Trash sells.  and Harry has told so many lies, him and Meghan, that one can't beleive anything he says.

HistoryGirl2

I would be interested in the relative promotion compared with other celebrity memoirs. I think it?s a bit unfair to make Michelle Obama the comparison as she was a highly influential political figure whose accomplishments span an entire lifetime and is internationally beloved and admired. She?s not afraid to answer the tough questions. Harry seems to require control upwards and outwards, so he?s very careful about only speaking to friendly media.

PrincessOfPeace

A lot of this is rubber necking. It was expected Harry would trash his family and he did. 

I think we can all agree no one bought the book looking for anything profound.  Harry is very simple. He likes Brainy Quote. He likes cartoons.

All he does is attack the family and institution that has given the platform in the first place. I don't think history will be kind.

wannable

I see it differently, the more moneys the couple make the better.  It means a win win situation, no tail between legs begging Charles (next William) for moneys to live their lifestyle and the latter (BRF) will breathe a sigh of relief.  It is imperative to the BRF that the Sussexes stay together forever and far away.  Look at it, if both or one of them is in serious financial trouble, the media will go nuts and all sorts of articles will bounce to Charles and William with the will they or not help the troubled couple.

Everyone knows the couple love a drama, so keep the drama at their side of the pond, although I'm wishing the US Media stop trashing them.

The majority don't want the couple in the UK.

Think about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, then imagine IF either had separated/divorced, they are both off putting, not together, is more toxic and worse, nagging the Queen, the press, the delusions of grandeur et all.  :happycry:

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on February 21, 2023, 05:57:46 PM
A lot of this is rubber necking. It was expected Harry would trash his family and he did. 

I think we can all agree no one bought the book looking for anything profound.  Harry is very simple. He likes Brainy Quote. He likes cartoons.

All he does is attack the family and institution that has given the platform in the first place. I don't think history will be kind.
Partly true.  A few years ago, noone would have expected H to attack his family, and even after Orprah, I think that the level of aggression and nastiness in this book surprised and shocked people. but yes it sells because people want to see what he comes out with, not because they like or approve of him.

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 22, 2023, 07:39:30 AM
Partly true.  A few years ago, noone would have expected H to attack his family, and even after Orprah, I think that the level of aggression and nastiness in this book surprised and shocked people. but yes it sells because people want to see what he comes out with, not because they like or approve of him.

Unfortunately I have to agree with your post @Amabel2. I believe that many people are choosing to read the book due to its "shock and awe" factor.

Amabel2

I'd wait till it came in the library, if i wanted to read it.  But from all Harry's said about it and te bits that I have read, I dont want to read it.  But there are millions of books aobut hitler and the Nazis and they all sell, it does not mean that (most) people like Hitler.
I think that since Oprah, people DO expect some lashing out from Harry and that's partly what they buy the book for.. "what will he reveal or make up about the RF and his dad and Camilla" etc... but even so, this book proved so much nastier and more agnry and aggressive than the public expected. I thought myself that he woudl have a go at Camilla, but I didn't expect him to show such animus against his brother.

Princess Cassandra

I have not bought the book and probably won't read it. I just feel that Harry is very ill and that whatever he said or wrote can't be taken at face value.

Amabel2

I wonder - there is I think an element of mental illness but much of it, I fear is simply that Harry is an aggressive and quite nasty character.  He has clearly had an animus against his brother going back years, and has taken the opportunity of writing this book to attack him.  He knows that much of what he's saying about Will is not true, Im sure.

Curryong

The knowledge that William has a bad temper is and was well known. There were lots of stories about it. Robert Jobson wrote about William?s hair trigger temper and ?grand? manner in his bio of Charles. Camilla was said to have been surprised at the virulence of William?s temper.

PrincessOfPeace

The Tory MP, 52, said the Duke of Sussex had 'let down' his former Army comrades by revealing his kill count in his autobiography 'Spare'.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace accuses Prince Harry of 'boasting' about his Taliban kill-count | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

The Defense Secretary had a long career in the Armed Forces and I'm not surprised that he, like many other service members, believes Prince Harry should not have revealed that specific  information in Spare.

UK defence secretary accuses Prince Harry of ?boasting? about war killings | Prince Harry | The Guardian

QuoteThe UK defence secretary, Ben Wallace, has accused Prince Harry of ?boasting? about the number of people he killed while on tour in Afghanistan and ?letting down? his fellow service personnel.

Wallace, a former soldier, joined other high-profile veterans to have criticised the Duke of Sussex?s claim he killed 25 Taliban soldiers while serving with the British army.

Though Wallace said it was up to each former service personnel member to ?make their own choices about what they want to talk about?, he said it was not something he would have divulged about his own time as a captain in the Scots guards.

?The armed forces is not about a tally,? Wallace told LBC radio on Thursday. ?I frankly think boasting about tallies or talking about tallies ? distorts the fact that the army is a team game.?

Wallace said serving in the military was a ?team enterprise? and that for any person to go into combat they would have been supported by ?hundreds of people behind them? ? whether in a headquarters back in Britain or by the Royal Logistic Corps who helped them get there.

Emphasising he was voicing a personal view, Wallace said he believed the success of a person?s time in the armed forces was not measured by ?who can shoot the most or who doesn?t shoot the most?. He added: ?If you start talking about who did what, what you are actually doing is letting down all those other people, because you?re not a better person because you did and they didn?t.?

changemhysoul

Spare has now topped New York Best Sellers for it's 6th consecutive week. Shock and awe might initially sell but it wouldn't create staying power.

Either way, congratz Prince Harry.

There are as many vets, who happy with said and having read the actual text, understand Harry wasn't boosting. It's fair for Mr. Wallace to think that he shouldn't have but he doesn't rep the entire community. And the fact that he said Harry boasted, only proves to me he didn't actually read the book or even just the passage because Harry didn't boost. He was very matter of fact in the fact that he killed 25 people and that's something he'll have to live with for the rest of his life. For good or bad, taking a life, even in the name of the country is hard thing to do.