The Dutch Monarchy Current Events Part 2

Started by TLLK, September 06, 2022, 11:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Welcome to Part 2 of the Dutch Monarchy Current Events.

Queen Maxima arrives in San Francisco, CA to begin the working visit to California and Texas. The King has remained at home on limited activity as he recovers from pneumonia.

Video of her arrival.

Koningin M?xima landt in VS voor solo-werkbezoek | NU.nl

Blue Clover

TLLK

Video of Queen Maxima in San Francisco on Tuesday meeting Mayor London Breed at SF City Hall, visiting the Castro district and speaking with state leaders: Gov. Gavin Newsome etc...

M?xima op werkbezoek in San Francisco - YouTube

TLLK

The annual Prinsesdag  (Princes' Day) ceremony took place today with TM the King and Queen, the Princess of Orange, TRH Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentian.  The King read the speech from the throne. The opening of Parliament in the Netherlands is similar to the one in the UK though the dress code is less formal.

Prinsjesdag September 20 Pictures and Photos - Getty Images,%202022&sort=newest

Blue Clover

TudorQueen

TLLK

:Jen: The Princess of Orange has quite the collection to select her gala wear jewelry. I'd say that it's  on par with the Windsors and the Bernadotte's.

TLLK

It appears that a number of protestors who were dissatisfied with the government's policies on nitrogen were in attendance yesterday.

Princess Amalia?s first Opening of Parliament overshadowed by protesters ? Royal Central

QuotePrincess Amalia joined her parents in the traditional carriage ride in the Glass Coach, but the streets were lined with both fans and protesters. Farmers, holding the Dutch flag upside down, booed as the carriage procession made its way to the Royal Theatre. Shouts of ?traitors!? could also be heard from the crowd. The farmers have been protesting the government?s nitrogen plans for months. The royal family seemed unfazed and continued waving at the crowd. However, Princess Beatrix, who watched the procession from the building of the Council of State, could barely see over the protesters.

Video of the DRF's arrival. The Princess of Orange's gown was my favorite yesterday followed by her aunt Princess Laurentian's.  I am not a fan of Queen Maxima's dress yesterday.

Prinsjesdag in Den Haag dit jaar in Koninklijke Schouwburg - YouTube

Blue Clover

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

Even with sometimes untidy hair Maxi suits tiaras and other grand pieces. I knew the Mellerio would come out on this visit.

TLLK

Good thing that she changed into a more appropriate first day outfit with the hat and the jewelry. I can understand why she's walking carefully up on the Acropolis. It can be rather slippery up there if you step on the marble.

Nightowl

Won't a pants suit and more sense shoes be in order when walking around ruins?  It is a wonder she did not fall and break her neck or arm when I saw the pictures. 

TLLK

Yes I believe at the least Maxima should have worn more sensible shoes and swapped them for the heels later in the visit. They know the itinerary in advance.

TudorQueen

I love doing walking tours of sites like that. My feet hurt just watching her. Some royal women need to put sensible before fashion at times.

Day 2

Attended a resilience exhibition

https://twitter.com/koninklijkhuis/status/1587371478848360449

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "Gelijke en eerlijke behandeling zijn fundamentele mensenrechten. Toch hebben vrouwen over de hele wereld te maken met

Attending a pitch contest at Orange Grove startups. The Dutch embassy has initiative to offer training and workshops for Greek entrepeneurs.

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "Jonge Griekse ondernemers en startups kunnen voor onder meer trainingen en workshops terecht bij Orange Grove startups,

They visited Clinic Elpida which opened in 2010. Its the first pediatric cancer hospital in Greece. Before kids often had to leave Greece for treatment.

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "Kliniek Elpida is de eerste kliniek in Griekenland voor de behandeling van kinderkanker. Voordat de kliniek in 2010

The afternoon focus was on refugees. Together they visited a school for integration of refugee kids in Greek schools, a program called 'school for all'. The kids performed. Later the couple split. The king went to a shelter for Ukrainian refugee kids. Maxima went to one that helps unaccompanied female youth refugees specifically. The Dutch government is involved in the operating of both.

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "In de middag leggen de Koning en Koningin M?xima een aantal bezoeken af in het kader van migratie en integratie. Zij

TLLK

Dank u @Tudor Queen for the updates on the State Visit to Greece. I have to say that I was a little surprised that Greece only opened its first pediatric cancer hospital in 2010. However I am glad now that the kids and their families can at least remain in the country for treatment.

Dutch State Visit to Greece - Day 2 ? UFO No More -This article has highlights from Day Two as well as some fashion identification for Queen Maxima.

TudorQueen

Yes 2010 seems late for an advanced country. Having a sick child is hard enough, cant imagine having to go out of country for treatment.

Day 3, last day, they are in Thessaloniki

They first attended session for economic sustainability and agriculture at LaBattoir, meeting Greek and Dutch entrepreneurs.

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "De laatste dag van het staatsbezoek vindt plaats in Thessaloniki, een historische belangrijke stad in Griekenland. Het
The Method - labattoir

They took a walking tour of some of the most famous sites (the history buff in me is so jealous).  It included the Jewish quarter, Ottoman bathhouse, Roman agora and a Greek Orthodox church.

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "Door de eeuwen heen is Thessaloniki een kruispunt geweest van culturen, in het hart van Europa. De stad heeft tot vele

They later cycled to White Tower with the city's mayor.

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands exudes style on bike ride in Thessaloniki | Daily Mail Online

The last visit was to a collective project called Entrepreneurial University which involves 19 Greek universities. They met with the Greek minister of education and head of 2 schools involved to discus importance of sharing ideas. The Dutch embassy is working to introduce Dutch schools to the collective sharing of ideas.

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "Het driedaags staatsbezoek aan Griekenland wordt afgesloten met een bezoek over het samenwerkingsproject

Couple's thanks before leaving

Koninklijk Huis on Instagram: "?Griekenland verwarmt de ziel. Wij koesteren onze vriendschap met dit prachtige land. Een land waarin oeroude

Nightowl

There is something wrong with a king pedaling a bike in a suit and tie as there is a queen behind him doing the same in *heels* no less.......please give me a break here, get out the jeans and sneakers and sweaters and peddle away and leave the diamonds at home Max.  Being somewhat of a history buff  myself, I would be crawling over ruins in steel top boots or sneakers with jeans and a sweater, leaving the glamour at home for another time.  Who advises them on what the event is should also be helpful with the type of clothing when it calls for something different than normal.

TudorQueen

In fairness they arent tourists. They also had four events crammed into one day. Jeans and sneakers were not appropriate for two

Maxima did the best by choosing a cute pair of pants comfortable to ride in but works for other events. The heals I'd have swapped but hey Kate wears heels to play field hockey. It seems royals have it down.

TLLK

Quote from: Nightowl on November 04, 2022, 03:51:52 AM
There is something wrong with a king pedaling a bike in a suit and tie as there is a queen behind him doing the same in *heels* no less.......please give me a break here, get out the jeans and sneakers and sweaters and peddle away and leave the diamonds at home Max.  Being somewhat of a history buff  myself, I would be crawling over ruins in steel top boots or sneakers with jeans and a sweater, leaving the glamour at home for another time.  Who advises them on what the event is should also be helpful with the type of clothing when it calls for something different than normal.

Well the Dutch Royals are the best known examples of the "bicycling monarchies" which was a reputation more or less established after WWII with the late Queen (Princess) Juliana who was known as the "nation's social worker." She loved her grand jewelry but was also known to be very down to earth. She established a tradition of making private visits to schools, hospitals, care homes etc... because when she went on her formal engagements she more of less said that she didn't see the real work being done but rather a showcase.

Honestly this isn't the first time that Maxima's done a bicycling in heels engagement on a busy day. She and the other younger ladies in the DRF roller blade, jump, dance and more during the annual King's Day when they're all dressed up with dresses and heels. As @TudorQueen pointed out "It seems the royals have it down."

Here's an article from 2013 from around the time when KW-A was invested that explains the "bicycling monarchy" term.

Opinion: Dutch monarchs' lessons for world's royals | CNN

QuoteThe soubriquet ?bicycling monarchy? is largely an invention of the press. In reality it is a style pioneered by Queen Juliana and continued by Queen Beatrix of being less formal and more approachable and this is extremely popular domestically.

TLLK

The Dutch Royals welcomed the President Mattarella  of Italy and his daughter Laura Mattarella (She acts as "First Lady" for her widowed father)   today in Amsterdam at the Welcome Ceremony for the incoming State Visit.

Mattarella al Palazzo Reale di Amsterdam - YouTube

TLLK

Day 2 of the incoming Italian State Visit to the Netherlands. TM, PM Rutte along with President Mattarella and his daughter Laura at a lunch hosted by the Dutch government.

QueenM?xima of the Netherlands stuns as she attends government lunch for Italian President | Daily Mail Online