How The Duchess of Cornwall Won Our Hearts

Started by cinrit, July 02, 2014, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

Quote from: TLLK on October 06, 2014, 03:03:45 PM
Good point Daisy. Now a question, wasn't Henry VIII originally given this title from the Pope due to his support of the RC church against the "heresy " of the new Lutheran faith? I was under the impression that he chose to retain the title even after his break with Rome. Though I have to say that Henry still seemed more like a devout Catholic to me even after his break. He seemed to vacillate between the two depending on his whim and his current wife.  :P 

Actually, the title "Defender of the Faith" was taken away from Henry VIII in 1538 by the Pope upon Henry's divorce from Catherine and marriage to Anne and his subsequent founding of the Church of England.  He was also excommunicated.  In 1544, Parliament restored the title to Henry.  So he was actually without it for quite a few years.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Thank you Cindy! I knew that you were a fountain of knowledge for all things Tudor!!!! :notworthy:

cinrit

You're welcome, TLLK.   It's my "favorite" dynasty, probably because they were so ......... interesting. :angel:

Cindy

TLLK

I'm currently having fun with the Plantagenet dynasty but of course the two were intertwined. 

cinrit

The Plantagenets were interesting, too.  One of these days (in the near future), I want to delve more into their lives.  Right now, I mostly know about Henry II and Eleanor of Acquitaine and their sons.  And Richard III.  Those medieval people had a lot of secrets....

Cindy

cate1949

forgetting the Commonwealth?  Anyway - Charles has been involved in interfaith initiatives to protect Christians in the middle east - working with Muslim Imans - so that seems a good example of protecting people's right to have faith - or to believe

I'd say there are elements of secular society that are very hostile to religion - especially Christianity - rights need to be protected