Prince Harry's African tour

Started by wannable, November 19, 2015, 10:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

^ I doubt whether anyone, child or adult that Harry met at this school, will take his comments as anything other than jokes made to lighten the atmosphere. For goodness sake, people of any age can tell when a person is joking. The journalists realised it, the children realised it and so did the adults around.

Harry had kids who gave him a spontaneous hug, enjoyed playing football with him and liked his company. I think people who weren't there should stop analysing every comment and just lighten up!

Double post auto-merged: December 02, 2015, 11:43:02 AM

^ Yes, Gec, I agree. I think both Princes would have really benefited from being sent to the same sort of international boarding school Crown Prince Frederik attended. They would have met European counterparts, learned a foreign language or two thoroughly and enjoyed days off in a European country. It would have broadened both their minds.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on December 02, 2015, 11:37:25 AM
^ I doubt whether anyone, child or adult that Harry met at this school, will take his comments as anything other than jokes made to lighten the atmosphere. For goodness sake, people of any age can tell when a person is joking. The journalists realised it, the children realised it and so did the adults around.

Harry had kids who gave him a spontaneous hug, enjoyed playing football with him and liked his company. I think people who weren't there should stop analysing every comment and just lighten up!

Double post auto-merged: December 02, 2015, 11:43:02 AM

^ Yes, Gec, I agree. I think both Princes would have really benefited from being sent to the same sort of international boarding school Crown Prince Frederik attended. They would have met European counterparts, learned a foreign language or two thoroughly and enjoyed days off in a European country. It would have broadened both their minds.
Personally I do believe that having both boys spend part of their school years abroad could have been part of Charles/Diana's plan. However I do believe it would have been at a Commonwealth nation like Charles, Andrew and Edward attended instead of a continental one. However with the death of their mother and the desire to protect the brothers from the press, it was likely decided that Eton would provide the necessary security and structure for them. It also might have been the request of the brothers to stay in familiar surroundings during those years. Their gap years included time abroad, so Charles might have felt this would give them some experience outside of the UK.

I also believe that Charles did want to keep Harry at Eton knowing that it was Diana's preferred choice for her sons.

michelle0187

Quote from: wannable on December 02, 2015, 10:54:34 AM
Rich boy patronizing oops the disadvantage children about his £20,000 a year school, and wanting to be a bad boy.

At some point in life, disadvantage will google Eton and will very likely think, lucky boy with wealthy parents treated us like if our school is better than Eton bla, and faux pas thinks we were or are bad boys. Poorly done.

1 out of 100 will receive a scholarship to study with the rich, statistics, and will become an example and voice to his /her kind.
He was trying to show them that they should be appreciative and value the chance of getting an education since the boys in SA are tempted to join gangs instead. By telling he wanted to be a bad boy was his way of letting them know that he has some understanding of the temptation to rebel, even if it's a small understanding.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 02, 2015, 03:06:46 AM
Academically Eton was not the best selection for Harry. However considering the emotional upheaval Harry had endured Charles likely believed it was best for his son to be close to his sibling and grandparents.
probably, but it was a waste of time in the academic sense...

Curryong

^ Oh Harry everybody, including Celebitchy is noticing your junk bits flying free now! Please buy some supportive undies today!

On quite another tack, Harry has made a speech about poaching in which he warmly praised his brother's efforts in that direction and said he would do all he could to support him.

When have we ever heard Willie do the same with any of Harry's endeavours? Instead we get weak attempts at humour in the form of put downs about Harry's lack of brain power etc.

It would be nice to hear William in the future give a speech in which he gives Harry some sincere praise for something he's done but I'm not holding my breath!

Double post auto-merged: December 02, 2015, 08:59:32 PM

The speech Harry made on poaching at Kruger national park, in which he speaks of being 'incredibly proud' of his brother.

A speech by Prince Harry at the South African Wildlife College, Kruger National Park, South Africa

Izabella

QuotePretoria - Britain's Prince Harry is expected to pay a courtesy call on President Jacob Zuma in Pretoria on Thursday

Ok, bring vintage wine and this will be a partaay!   :partaay:  :orchid:

QuoteThe speech Harry made on poaching at Kruger national park, in which he speaks of being 'incredibly proud' of his brother.

At least he doesn't sound like a robot pausing and speaking in a flat monotone where the audience is induced into a sleep coma.  :lol:

cate1949

the thing is - these boys are not rebelling - they live in the streets usually because they are orphans and they join gangs because of very limited opportunities and because they are pressured to join the gang  - their circumstances are in no way related to any teen rebellion.   Harry is great - this trip has truly brought attention to some very disturbing problems - but he needs to think before he says stuff. 

H also need to do something with his crown jewels - geez - do not any of his staff see these pics?

It is just heartbreaking to see so many orphans - so many kids in such dreadful circumstances

Limabeany

I disagree, many are rebelling against society, their circumstances, etc. It's a rebellion against their circumstances (hence the activities lashing out) not simple by any means, but many can certainly identify with what he said, more valuable and on point that telling them he had a perfect childhood and how lucky he was.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

amabel

Quote from: cate1949 on December 03, 2015, 05:48:05 AM
the thing is - these boys are not rebelling - they live in the streets usually because they are orphans and they join gangs because of very limited opportunities and because they are pressured to join the gang  - their circumstances are in no way related to any teen rebellion.   Harry is great - this trip has truly brought attention to some very disturbing problems - but he needs to think before he says stuff. 

H
well I dotn entirely agree, in that I think we have choices, even if reared in very unpromising situations.  but I agree that to make out that "rebellion is cool" and that "being a bad boy" is a fun thing, when for these kids, turning along the wrong path, is probably the road to hell, leading them from desperate poverty, to crime to a terrible life... and possibly early death, is very irresponsible.  but I don't think that Harry thinks before he says things.

TLLK

H also need to do something with his crown jewels - geez - do not any of his staff see these pics?

It is just heartbreaking to see so many orphans - so many kids in such dreadful circumstances
:goodpost: @cate1949 I agree with everything you've stated.

tiaras

Quote from: TLLK on December 03, 2015, 07:20:43 PM

Which is exactly why I cant be bothered with him anymore. Acts like a man child, where is the difference with him and William of you look closely they're both the same.

Curryong

^ You definitely don't like Harry, Tiaras. I think that's pretty plain. Every time there is the slightest criticism of Harry on this or the other forum you leap to agree.

William is stiff and rather awkward with people. He tries to maintain gravitas at all times, perhaps because of shyness. Sometimes he looks bored. When do you ever see that with Harry?

Harry engages with people of all ages and both sexes, and  even with animals!  People are happy in his presence. They smile, laugh, look enlivened. He puts 110% into all his public engagements. Even the journalists who travel to his engagements look forward to being there as he exudes fun and happiness. Can't remember anyone saying that about William, or Kate!

So no, Harry is not like his brother in the vast majority of ways!

TLLK

Quote from: tiaras on December 03, 2015, 10:07:14 PM

Which is exactly why I cant be bothered with him anymore. Acts like a man child, where is the difference with him and William of you look closely they're both the same.
IMO neither are a "man child" as each has faced personal, mental, and physical challenges head on. They are using their public roles to champion causes at home and overseas. Until there is a major change in the BRF ie: QEII's reign comes to an end, neither can "move up" from their current role unless they go full time. At this point in time it appears that the BRF and majority of the public are content with the brothers being part-time royals while working/volunteering for their respective charities. Each continues to top the "most popular" member of the BRF polls.  Harry definitely has his mother's charisma and warmth when dealing with the members of the public. William appears to be more introverted like his grandmother and has a more dignified role to play when representing her. They are two different personalities and each appears to play to his strengths.   From the YouGov poll in spring 2015 - Last year Prince William began training for a new job as an air ambulance pilot. Do you think he should continue working as a pilot, or should he concentrate full time upon his Royal duties?

He should concentrate full time upon his Royal duties? 10% agreed.

He should combine his Royal duties with his job as a pilot? 76% agreed.

Don't know? 14%.

Izabella

QuoteHarry stopped off at a pop up bar selling lemonade and ginger beer.

Together a shandy!  :partaay: A non alcoholic one.  <_< When to bring your own flask.   :lol:

wannable

Wow, a U turn, no more patronizing, and decided to speak about his better times in the military. Although Harry speaking if he had gone to university it would be a peace of cake, lol. Another faux pas.

Zuma breaking protocol, a last minute receiving Harry is a joke and a slap in the face to... Whilst when Mrs. Obama went, he refused to see her, a Lawyer, Princeton and Harvard grad, ex president of Chicago Children's Hospital,  etc., etc., etc. 👎🏻

tiaras

Quote from: TLLK on December 03, 2015, 10:49:38 PM

IMO neither are a "man child" as each has faced personal, mental, and physical challenges head on. They are using their public roles to champion causes at home and overseas. Until there is a major change in the BRF ie: QEII's reign comes to an end, neither can "move up" from their current role unless they go full time. At this point in time it appears that the BRF and majority of the public are content with the brothers being part-time royals while working/volunteering for their respective charities. Each continues to top the "most popular" member of the BRF polls.  Harry definitely has his mother's charisma and warmth when dealing with the members of the public. William appears to be more introverted like his grandmother and has a more dignified role to play when representing her. They are two different personalities and each appears to play to his strengths.   From the YouGov poll in spring 2015 - Last year Prince William began training for a new job as an air ambulance pilot. Do you think he should continue working as a pilot, or should he concentrate full time upon his Royal duties?

Don't know? 14%.

I think it's time William steps up to royal work full time. Harry too enough of this I am normal facade, if they must know normal doesnt exist.
Kate needs to up her work count too and try to be seen more frequently, they cant keep hiding away for several weeks.

I stand by my comments, and tbh I dont really care for his relationships, haven't read or commented there for a long time. Harry isn't really this perfect man, he makes mistakes his fans have to learn to see him as a man and not a guy they hope to be with.

His comments have be just as bad as some of this things William says, it shows stunted growth to be saying things like that. But then again they are both sheltered and ignorant about a lot of things.
Say what you want it isnt going to change my mind.

I am aware that it may take a good 15 years before people start questioning the trio and their contribution to the firm. But by then the monarchy may not be too popular.....after QEII passes away things will turn to complete chaos withing the BRF,  IMHO.

I dont think Charles has what it takes to control anybody, and Williams normalness isnt going to help, Harrys past will be brought up at every turn. It is going to be one big mess.

Curryong

^ I'm sorry that President Zuma didn't want to receive Mrs Obama for whatever reason. However, that has nothing to do with Harry, (who incidentally has been a hit with the youngsters he's met. I don't think he's ever patronised anyone in his life.)

The last time I looked South Africa was still in the Commonwealth and the Queen is still Head of that organisation. I don't think it would have gone down too well if Pres. Zuma had snubbed her grandson.

Double post auto-merged: December 04, 2015, 05:22:37 AM

^^ I've lost count of the letters and diaries from the late 19th century I've read that predicted disaster, chaos, catastrophic change, an incompetent badly regarded King, after Queen Victoria's death.

In fact absolutely nothing happened (the changeover was smooth) and King Edward VII wasn't a bad King at all. His son, the Duke of York, who had done little in the 1890's, stepped up to the plate.

So will William, whether he wants to or not, and Harry, whether he wants to or not, will be his father and brother's backup. They both, IMO, know precisely what's going to come in the next few years.

Curryong

Exactly!  :thumbsup: And these correspondents like Rebecca English  know him very well.

wannable

Zuma wouldn't be able to string a sentence with Michelle Obama, the Princeton and Harvard graduate. Via diplomatic corps, through channels months previsit, he said no.

Which is very telling, when by out of agenda, last minute, clears 5 minutes for Harry. And says what he wanted the worldwide media to know, he's retiring. Polls indicate his government popularity is going down, down south. He's kaput, and Harry is a tool to Zumas end, nothing bad, at least we know now, he won't go for another presidency.

~~~

Rebecca English has said the very same complements of W&K, with H fans blasting her. Honestly, It's the case of which side of the fence, and cherry picking one day I like her the next day not. I see nothing wrong when admitting to like someone, and not the other.

~~~

Harry's gaffes and faux passes should be picked to pieces and analyzed as he has been a Royal for 30 years. More then enough time to always be excused.

gec

Quote from: wannable on December 04, 2015, 11:01:34 AM
Zuma wouldn't be able to string a sentence with Michelle Obama, the Princeton and Harvard graduate. Via diplomatic corps, through channels months previsit, he said no.

Harry's gaffes and faux passes should be picked to pieces and analyzed as he has been a Royal for 30 years. More then enough time to always be excused.

I think you may be neglecting to consider the domestic and geopolitical motives for not meeting with Michelle Obama. I'm not condoning his decision, but pointing out that there are more complex considerations involved in meeting the first lady of the USA as compared to a British royal.

As Britain is a constitutional monarchy, I consider the international visits/tours undertaken by any family member to be closer to 'soft diplomacy', rather than at the other end of the spectrum which is considered more political - for example meeting with a President/Prime Minister/Government Minister. Don't let the title of 'soft diplomacy' mislead you, it is a vital component of diplomatic engagement and relationship development.

As for Harry, his gaffes/errors in judgement over his lifetime have well and truly been canvassed here and in the press. I think even his harshest critic would consider this tour a success based on the available evidence.

@wannable please let me know if I have misinterpreted your post. We seem to have quite different approaches to, and application of grammar and syntax. This can lend itself to quite a bit of misunderstanding!

wannable

The point is Zuma is retiring after this period of presidency. Harry was The tool to notify the world, of course through soft diplomacy. What would Harry say, he said nothing. Lol.

Zuma would be slapping his own face, by means of mentioning retirement with a courtesy visit from the First Lady of the USA, although her plans and agenda wasn't to interfere with the POTUS, she never has, she has her own footing. Her tour had to do with children in poverty, schools for the disadvantage. And that is her theme.

She's to bright for him, and he wouldn't be able to hold a 30 second conversation with her.

Harry's tour is a standard tour, all royals do well, easy.
If it contained high government receptions, meeting and greeting and in behalf of HM meetings and mixing official dining and wining, I'd consider it high flying hard tour, and if done well, a true success.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 03, 2015, 10:49:38 PM

circumstances

IMO neither are a "man child" as each has faced personal, mental, and physical challenges head on. They are using their public roles to champion causes at home and overseas. content with the brothers being part-time royals while working/volunteering for their respective charities. Each continues to top the "most popular" member of the BRF polls.  appears to play to his strengths.   From the YouGov poll in spring 2015 - Last year Prince William began training for a new job as an air ambulance pilot. Do you think he should continue working as a pilot, or should he concentrate full time upon his Royal duties?

Don't know? 14%.
well TLLK that sounds pretty much like the public are happy with what Will is doing.  I am not sure about Harry's maturity, quite honestly. I think he does need to think before he speaks and it seem to dress more appropriately ( I have never seen these embarrassing photos but then I don't look out that much at them..)...
Sure he has a warm heart but he really needs to engage brain before opening mouth, at times. William is quieter and less likely to make mistakes, I think at this stage, he has matured and settled and he does not get into the papers so much because a  lot of the work he does, like investitures is not that interesting to the journalists/reading public.  But he is still doing his pilot job and it seems that the public is fine wit his going on doing that and part time royal duties... as the RF would wish...