English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish Aristocrats throughout the ages

Started by Amabel2, December 29, 2022, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

A thread to discuss the aristocracy of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland throughout the ages.

Emma Hamilton does anyone know anything about her?

Been reading a bio of her lately, she was of course the mistress of Lord Nelson and a frieind of the queen of Naples.  ANyone know much about her?

LouisFerdinand

Emma developed a friendship with The Honourable Charles Francis Greville. He was the son of Francis Greville, 1st Earl of Warwick.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on December 29, 2022, 01:54:29 PM
A thread to discuss the aristocracy of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland throughout the ages.

Emma Hamilton does anyone know anything about her?

Been reading a bio of her lately, she was of course the mistress of Lord Nelson and a frieind of the queen of Naples.  ANyone know much about her?

I have Mollie Hardwick?s bio of her. Is it the same author you?re reading? She certainly led a fascinating life. From rags and obscurity to great heights and then back to the depths of poverty again.

Amabel2

no, its a more recent bio, by Flora Fraser, daughter of Antonia Fraser.  Not all that likable IMO.....

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on December 29, 2022, 11:02:20 PM
no, its a more recent bio, by Flora Fraser, daughter of Antonia Fraser.  Not all that likable IMO.....

It?s years since I read it, but she was certainly very interested in meeting the right sort of people, I suppose more modern people would call her upwardly mobile, lol! And certainly her treatment of poor old Sir William Hamilton was less than admirable. However, she came from nothing and it could be a hard life for almost everyone bar the elite in those days.

I must read through it again. How did you find Flora Fraser?s writing? I have two or three books by Antonia Fraser, and enjoyed them. And I have Flora?s life of Caroline of Brunswick, which I really liked.

LouisFerdinand

Earl of Crawford is a title created in the Peerage of Scotland for Sir David Lindsay in 1398.

LouisFerdinand

Earl of Essex is a title in the Peerage of England which was first created   
in the 12th century by King Stephen of England.   
Frederick Paul de Verre Capell, 11th Earl of Essex is the current Earl of Essex.

wannable

CoutureAndRoyals
@CoutureRoyals

#NEW The Duke of Westminster and Olivia Henson will marry on 7 June 2024 at Chester Cathedral ⛪️

The couple have chosen the cathedral for both its beauty and long association with the Grosvenor family, including to the Duke personally.

Welcome - Chester Cathedral

LouisFerdinand

Alexander Douglas Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton, 13th Duke of Brandon, is a Scottish nobleman.   
Duke of Hamilton is the senior dukedom in the Peerage of Scotland (except for the Duke of Rothesay).

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

I think Lord Louis Mountbatten and his heiress wife Edwina were certainly a dazzling Society couple between the wars. He had great ability and ambition. The Battenberg males were known for their good looks and success with women, but once Prince Louis Battenberg (Mountbatten after 1917) settled down with his wife Victoria Hesse his concentration (like his sons) was on his Royal naval career so I wouldn?t call him ?dazzling? as a middle aged man.

Prince Philip was a good looking man with plenty of dash especially when young. ?Dazzling?? Well, his Mountbatten appendage came from his uncle not his father, as he himself said many times. His father Andre was a Prince of Greece and Denmark not a Mountbatten so I don?t know that Philip can be attached to that clan at all as the only link came from his mother?s father and HIS offspring.

LouisFerdinand

Baron Tredegar, of Tredegar in the County of Monmouth, was a title in the   
Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created on April 16, 1859 for the Welsh   
politician Sir Charles Morgan, 3rd Baronet.

LouisFerdinand

At Earl Spencer's Althorp House sometimes it takes more than eighty arrangements to   
prepare the house for a big weekend of guests.   
Episode #20: Spencer Family Flowers - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

On June 8, 2002, Torquhil Campbell, Duke of Argyll married Eleanor Cadbury at St. Mary's Church in Fairford, Gloucestershire.   
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/830879158