The Romanovs

Started by LouisFerdinand, November 07, 2015, 12:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

One plan had been to imprison Emperor Peter III in Schlusselburg Fortress . Schusselburg was only forty miles from the capital. Peter would become the second deposed emperor imprisoned in this bastion. Tsar Ivan VI was already a prisoner there. Could Peter III have been sent back to Holstein?

LouisFerdinand

Grand Duchess Marie Nikolaevna of Russia (1819-1876) was the daughter of Tsar Nicholas I. In 1839 she married Maximilian, Duke of Leuchtenberg. She was an art collector and President of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Saint Petersburg.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Grand Duchess Olga was the daughter of Tsar Nicholas I of Russia. Her father's first choice of husband was Archduke Stephen of Austria. Metternich put an end to it. Olga married Karl, Hereditary Prince of Wurttemberg.

LouisFerdinand

Grand Duchess Militza Nikolaevna, the wife of Grand Duke Peter Nikolaevich, gave birth to twin daughters Marina and Sofia in March 1898.

LouisFerdinand

Portrait of Grand Duke Nicholas and Grand Duke Michael Mikhailovich in Baden in 1876 
Portrait of Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich and Grand Duke Michael Stock Photo - Alamy

LouisFerdinand

After her own son Grand Duke George, who does Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna recognize as the next heir to the imperial throne?

Curryong

Her grandson probably, should George and Rebecca be fortunate to have one, (and Rebecca is nearing the end of our childbearing years.) Other than that I don?t believe Maria recognises anyone not of her own line.

Maria is very fond of issuing grandiose statements about other claimants to the non-existent Russian throne but has remained quiet about her own daughter in law?s commoner status which would certainly have seen a morganatic marriage in another age.. However Maria is backed in her claims by the Russian Orthodox Church, hence the wedding ceremony in the cathedral the other day.

To me it has all the faintly ridiculous flimsy, fluffy Ruritanian nonsense of novels and musicals of a hundred years ago. George is obviously very much influenced by his mother but IMO he and his wife would have been much happier if they hadnt participated in this lifelong farce.

I?m reminded of an anecdote I read in a Rex Harrison bio. Harrison and his wife Lili were more or less forced to entertain the Duke and Duchess of Windsor when the would descend upon them in their Italian holiday home. Rex?s cook was English, a Cockney, who would never curtsey to the ex King. Harrison asked her once why not and her answer was ?I don?t curtsey to them that don?t sit on thrones!?.

And that?s my view on all these Pretenders to non existent monarchies really.

Macrobug67

Quite frankly, I thought it was all ridiculous.  The Imperial Empire exists no longer.   <_<

Curryong

Yes, but they are still squabbling about this non-existent throne, as the French have done in the past as well.

A family tree for those interested, lol

Who Would Be Tsar of Russia Today? | Romanov Family Tree - YouTube

Macrobug67

Very interesting.  Of course, hypothetical.  But interesting.   

LouisFerdinand

I like the explanation about the Grand Duke Cyril being the Guardian of the Throne and eventually the Emperor in exile.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on October 05, 2021, 11:15:28 PM
I like the explanation about the Grand Duke Cyril being the Guardian of the Throne and eventually the Emperor in exile.

That was self proclaimed ?Emperor? however. And he was far from accepted by all Russians exiles abroad. Nor is his granddaughter Maria today.