Independence Movements in the UK

Started by Curryong, May 05, 2021, 02:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

According to a new Ipsos Mor survey 51% of Britons back Scotland holding a second referenda for Independence from England. The vote is higher in Scotland and NI natch but it?s still a majority in England. Sturgeon has to getting for it however.

Scotland independence latest: More than half of Britons back calls for fresh vote | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Curryong

Error That should be ?Sturgeon has to get backing for it, however?. Lol.

Curryong

With regard to the recent (restricted) British elections (for London Mayor, Scottish and Welsh Assemblies etc) it appears that Nicola Sturgeon may well steam ahead with a second Independence referendum. She?s signalled so, as although the SNP has fallen short of a majority in the Assembly, the Greens are allied with the Party on many issues including a second referendum. And the vote has gone up north of the border as a result of Brexit, which as most know, Scots voted against.

Scotland: SNP wins 4th term, short of overall majority | Europe| News and current affairs from around the continent | DW | 09.05.2021

LouisFerdinand

If Scotland becomes independent and a republic, would the Scottish palaces and castles be considered residences of the monarch of England?

Curryong

Balmoral, Birkhall and Castle Mey would, as they are private residences (and unlikely, short of revolution, to be confiscated.) However, buildings like Holyrood House would no longer be regarded as connected to the English monarchy in a Scottish republic.

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on May 19, 2021, 10:18:07 PM
If Scotland becomes independent and a republic, would the Scottish palaces and castles be considered residences of the monarch of England?

Curryong

Interesting that Gordon Brown, leader of a new movement to keep the Union together, was the only senior Scottish political leader besides Nicola Sturgeon, that William (and Kate) met on their Scottish trip.

Such a meeting is not likely to go down very well with SNP voters, especially as a BBC4 journalist complained on SM that she and her news crew were asked not to take photos at Holyrood House of Brown arriving for the meeting. The SNP is likely to take the meeting as evidence that the BRF is prepared to intervene in the Scottish independence movement if necessary.

The Daily Record is a Scottish newspaper.

Prince William and Kate meet Gordon Brown for talks on final day of Scottish tour - Daily Record

wannable

Too much ado about nothing. William said in his closing speech he had meetings with political leaders, politicians from different parties to "listen".

wannable

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on May 19, 2021, 10:18:07 PM

1 in 3, YouGov surveys are successful to date in their polls.

''One in three think Scotland should be an independent country''.  2014 it failed, 2021 Nicola nor Boris want to spend moneys for another referendum, BUT the BBC political editors et others think it may happen with rules, i.e. if the NO wins, there won't be any other referendum until 30 years.

Macrobug67

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

A breakup of Britain would be a boon for Northern Ireland, bad for Scotland and Wales, and devastating for England?s place in the world.

Britain on the map is an untidily shaped little island that broke off Europe and clings to the eastern shore of the Atlantic. Political reality is more complicated. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as my country is properly called, consists of a cluster of nations and bits of nations that have never lived entirely comfortably together, and are now dangerously close to an existential crisis.

A new book by a respected former BBC correspondent, Gavin Esler, asserts that ?Britishness is dead.? In ?How Britain Ends: English Nationalism and the Rebirth of Four Nations,? Esler, a Scot, writes: ?Brexit is both a symptom and also now a cause of the widening cracks in the union.?

Elections in Scotland, due in May, are likely to deliver a landslide for the Scottish National Party. This, in turn, will set off intensive lobbying for a new referendum on independence. Meanwhile, many of the people of Northern Ireland find life lonely and frustrating, trapped in a forest of red tape between an Irish Republic that still belongs to the European Union and a U.K. that has left it. Some of the Welsh also surf the wave of Celtic disgruntlement that is lapping the fringes of Queen Elizabeth II?s realm.

There is a real prospect that within a decade or two, the country that Shakespeare never thought of calling anything save England could become England once again. Almost 40% of the U.K. land area would thus be gone. To our foes and political rivals, this is no bad news. A mere English government, they believe, would wield less clout than does a British one, even though England contains 84% of the U.K.?s 68 million people.   

Cont....

TLLK

:princessgrace:   Scottish independence movement is now a majority. Polls taken by YouGov, Redfield & Wilton Strategies, Ipsos and Find Out Now.

Scottish independence support in the lead in fourth consecutive poll | The National

QuoteSCOTS have backed independence for the fourth poll in a row, according to the latest data from YouGov.

The survey of 1090 voters is the first time this particular firm has recorded a lead for the Yes movement in more than two years.

It comes following three other polls ? by Redfield & Wilton Strategies, Ipsos and Find Out Now ? which all found those polled were in favour of independence.

This comes after the Supreme Court ruled Scotland could not legislate for an independence referendum without Westminster?s consent.

When undecided and non-voters are excluded in this particular poll, support for independence sits at 53% compared with 47% for the Union.

READ MORE: Scottish independence support at 56%, Ipsos Mori poll finds

This marks a major change from a previous YouGov poll conducted at the end of September and into early October which showed indy support with undecides excluded sat at just 49%.

With ?don?t knows? included in this poll, support for independence sat at 47% while support for the Union fell as low as 42%.

The Times reports that leading polling expert Sir John Curtice said this was the joint highest pro-independence result since August 2020.

He said: ?On this evidence, just saying ?no? to another ballot does not look like a viable long-term strategy for maintaining public support for the Union.?

TLLK

Nicola Sturgeon steps down as the Scottish National Party Leader. Will remain in office until her successor is appointed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-64647907

QuoteNicola Sturgeon has confirmed that she is resigning as Scotland's first minister after more than eight years in the role.

The Scottish National Party leader said that she knew "in my head and in my heart" that this was the right time to step down.

She made the announcement at a hastily-arranged news conference in Edinburgh.

The first minister said she would remain in office until her successor was elected.

Ms Sturgeon is the longest-serving first minister and the first woman to hold the position.

Curryong

Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland?s First Minister, resigns from Office, after eight years.

iview

wannable

Wow, it really went downhill with the trans rights and her wanting a yearly independence referendum (dream), which doesn't have a constitutional requirement to hold it, i.e. if you lose, can't ask it again for the next  number of years.  She was insisting on this yearly, which is costly.  Perhaps next year when economical times improve.

Curryong

I don?t know about ?downhill?. Sturgeon has after all been eight years in Office. And even politicians get tired of the same old thing day after day. She?s resigned herself, not been driven out of her position like Truss or even Ardene who felt she had to go to give her Party a chance in the NZ election. I think it?s a good politician who knows when the right time is to pack up the tent and steal away.

wannable

Criticism (day in/day out) factually has its toll.  I think she was her own downfall.

wannable

Ha, everytime he tweets about anything it goes viral

Andy Murray
@andy_murray

Interesting vacancy. Was looking to get into politics when I finish playing 🎾😉
Quote Tweet
BBC Scotland News
@BBCScotlandNews
BREAKING: Nicola Sturgeon to resign as Scottish first minister https://bbc.in/3I2RJX7

wannable

Talking about trending, Andrew Neil, Chariman of the Spectator UK, USA and Australia is trending with his editorial letter in reference to Nicola Sturgeon

...has put Scotland back years. Scotland has always been the jewel in the British crown: brilliantly difficult people, amazing geography, whisky, science, law. She leaves Scotland in a worse state.

Curryong

As the Spectator, and Neil himself, is politically conservative by nature, I don?t expect him to be an admirer of Sturgeon who is the complete opposite in ideals, aims and views. And the editorial is his opinion, that?s all.

TLLK

I haven't read today's articles, but is there a suggestion as to who might succeed Nicola Sturgeon as the First Minister of Scotland?

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on February 16, 2023, 03:40:33 PM
I haven't read today's articles, but is there a suggestion as to who might succeed Nicola Sturgeon as the First Minister of Scotland?

At the moment there are only a few likely candidates. Angus Robertson seems more likely than the others if only because of his vast experience in the political system at both Westminster and Holyrood. But who knows!.

Who will replace Nicola Sturgeon? Scottish leadership runners and riders | Evening Standard

Curryong

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

An article from The Financial Times discussing the makeup and temper of SNP voters and MPs, which I found to be quite interesting. Unlike most political parties their MPs don?t automatically follow the Party line on issues, nor do their constituents demand it. Unusual in the Westminster system!

The battle for the leadership of the SNP continues on, and the candidates are mentioned here as well.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/scottish-independence-crossroads-testy-snp-leader-race-97971530

TLLK

@Curryong-Any thoughts on who might be the next SNP leader?

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on March 21, 2023, 01:23:45 PM
@Curryong-Any thoughts on who might be the next SNP leader?

No, none really. My contender ruled himself out very early on. Humza Yousaf has plenty of experience and as a member of a minority there would be a certain symmetry I suppose in having a First Minister and a PM of the UK coming from minorities in the UK population. Other than that, one of the female candidates appears to have anti gay marriage views. Don?t know how that would go down with younger voters. But who knows, really. This is such an idiosyncratic Party that no-one seems to be pointing to a clear front runner. We will find out on the 27th, I guess.

The SNP leadership race's contenders to replace Nicola Sturgeon: Kate Forbes, Ash Regan and Humza Yousaf | Politics News | Sky News

TLLK

And the winner is...Humza Yousaf announced as new Scottish National Party leader replacing Nicola Sturgeon | Politics News | Sky News

QuoteHumza Yousaf has won the SNP leadership contest and is set to be named as Scotland's new first minister, replacing Nicola Sturgeon.

The explosive leadership contest was sparked following Ms Sturgeon's shock resignation last month.

The winner will now face a vote at Holyrood on Tuesday before being formally confirmed as first minister.

Curryong

A good choice imho. I thought he might prevail. Now for the hard bit, actually performing effectively as First Minister.