The role of the British Monarchy, Popularity and Future discussion

Started by TLLK, May 14, 2018, 12:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

I really think this is all just fake news from the DM. The York ladies are probably a bit publicity shy at this point, anyway.

sandy

Not sure how Edo would react, unknown quantity, would he want to do appearances with Bea if this is true?

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 09, 2020, 11:29:43 PM
Not sure how Edo would react, unknown quantity, would he want to do appearances with Bea if this is true?
I should not think so.  If this happens it will be very limited and just on a "need to help out" basis.  It will be just the sisters or one of them..  there's no need for ther husbands to show up

TLLK

I agree Queen Alex. IMO I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the princesses. Their husbands will be working so truly we'll only see them at national events in which the extended BRF attend ie: Trooping the Color or private ones ie: Christmas church service. As for the York princesses should they begin to take up a small number of royal duties, I expect that they'll probably begin by  accompanying their grandmother to events ie: Maundy Thursday.

Here's QEII and PE at St. George Chapel for the Maundy Thursday service in 2019.

Every Photo of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Eugenie Celebrating Maundy Thursday 2019 in Windsor

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 10, 2020, 09:21:39 AM
I should not think so.  If this happens it will be very limited and just on a "need to help out" basis.  It will be just the sisters or one of them..  there's no need for ther husbands to show up
Edo has a professional life of his own, anyway. 

wannable

And yet Edo and Bea were with Andrew and Fergie at the Chinese ambassador's home, formal pictures, and a official verified tweet from the Amb stating Andrew was ther in behalf of the Queen.

Nightowl

I'll believe it when it is announced by BP or KP and HM.........everything else is just gossip and rumors not to be believed at all...

QueenAlex

Quote from: Nightowl on February 11, 2020, 07:26:51 PM
I'll believe it when it is announced by BP or KP and HM.........everything else is just gossip and rumors not to be believed at all...
Idoubt If they will announce it anyway, they dotn want to make it sound official... They will just use Bea or E if they feel it is appropriate....

sandy

Would the criticism in the blogs/comments now that Meghan and Harry are not there, focus on the York sisters? If this story is true.

TLLK

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 11, 2020, 07:28:57 PM
Idoubt If they will announce it anyway, they dotn want to make it sound official... They will just use Bea or E if they feel it is appropriate....
I agree it would likely be just for the occasional event without much fan fare much like when Eugenie accompanied QEII to the Maundy Thursday service last April.

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 11, 2020, 07:56:23 PM
Would the criticism in the blogs/comments now that Meghan and Harry are not there, focus on the York sisters? If this story is true.

What have Harry and Meghan to do with Bea and Eugenie?

Double post auto-merged: February 11, 2020, 09:05:24 PM

Quote from: TLLK on February 11, 2020, 08:50:22 PM
I agree it would likely be just for the occasional event without much fan fare much like when Eugenie accompanied QEII to the Maundy Thursday service last April.
Yes... IF they are used - and I don't know if it is all likely, it will be very limited?and unofficial.    Its just to cover over the sudden loss of Andrew and the Sussexes.. and over time they will phase out more of the charities.

wannable

Bea and Edo went with Andrew and Fergie by invitation to the Chinese Ambassador's home, the later used his official social media feeds to express what Andrew in name of the Queen said; the coronavirus, we are praying, all at it together to that effect.

Why would Bea and Edo go to a formal dinner at the Ambs home with professional picture taking too?

sandy

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 11, 2020, 08:58:29 PM
What have Harry and Meghan to do with Bea and Eugenie?

Double post auto-merged: February 11, 2020, 09:05:24 PM

Yes... IF they are used - and I don't know if it is all likely, it will be very limited?and unofficial.    Its just to cover over the sudden loss of Andrew and the Sussexes.. and over time they will phase out more of the charities.

Plenty, the media likes royals they can criticize the DM and other tabs were not exactly "nice" to the York girls.

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 12, 2020, 12:10:09 AM
Plenty, the media likes royals they can criticize the DM and other tabs were not exactly "nice" to the York girls.
yes all royals get crtiicsim.  ALl Royals have times when they are praisd and times when they get a lot of negativity.  Its no different for Bea and Eugenie.. they have had bad press, now I think that its fading and they are regarded as good for an occasional story but not really of interest.  they will have bad stories sometimes and good ones at other times. 

sandy

I think they will be scrutinized more of course if they are given royal duties. The comments could be unkind, especially about what they wear.

QueenAlex

Quote from: sandy on February 12, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
I think they will be scrutinized more of course if they are given royal duties. The comments could be unkind, especially about what they wear.
yes but what is the issue?  Of course they will get some criticism.  They have never been that popular.  If they don't take up duties, they will probably fade into beign tolerated & accepted by the press, as not particurally liked or disliked.. If they do some duties they will probably get some criticism   But Im sure they can handle it.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sandy on February 12, 2020, 12:10:09 AM
They've had their share of criticism. For one thing, they seem to have enough funding to purchase expensive clothing, and the British public may resent it because they feel it's coming from their tax dollars. And then, many times their clothes are not flattering. When they go for high fashion they don't always take their most flattering styles and colors into consideration. And then, Bea has been extremely work shy - at one time the media was counting her vacations per year. IMO Bea will not have to work at all if she doesn't want to, since her husband seems to be well situated. She may just opt for a few dates per year, but no full time royal work. Eugenie seems to be settled in doing what she is now doing, so she also may just opt for a few dates per year.  Of course, I could be so wrong....maybe they are both hoping to make careers of working for the firm?

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on February 15, 2020, 09:28:10 PM
They've had their share of criticism. For one thing, they seem to have enough funding to purchase expensive clothing, and the British public may resent it because they feel it's coming from their tax dollars. And then, many times their clothes are not flattering. When they go for high fashion they don't always take their most flattering styles and colors into consideration. And then, Bea has been extremely work shy - at one time the media was counting her vacations per year. IMO Bea will not have to work at all if she doesn't want to, since her husband seems to be well situated. She may just opt for a few dates per year, but no full time royal work. Eugenie seems to be settled in doing what she is now doing, so she also may just opt for a few dates per year.  Of course, I could be so wrong....maybe they are both hoping to make careers of working for the firm?

I doubt it.   Maybe when they were younger they liked the idea, but now they have made lives for themselves and Bea does not seem to be much of a worker.  ANd they've both realised that they haven't had good press so problaby  now that they are beginning to be less criticised in the papers, that they have settled into "accepted but not loved", they dont want to undertake a public life. Besides both are married/getting married and probably planning families so i'd say if they are persuaded into taking on some work it will be on a very limited basis.  It may be said to them that with the 3 gone, there is a gap that's difficult to fill at short notice so  can they help out?

TLLK

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 12, 2020, 01:53:55 PM
yes but what is the issue?  Of course they will get some criticism.  They have never been that popular.  If they don't take up duties, they will probably fade into beign tolerated & accepted by the press, as not particurally liked or disliked.. If they do some duties they will probably get some criticism   But Im sure they can handle it.
IMO they can handle criticism as they've both been subjected to it for years now.

QueenAlex

Quote from: TLLK on February 16, 2020, 02:28:06 PM
IMO they can handle criticism as they've both been subjected to it for years now.
I agree that they've never been that popular. but I think the press got bored with knocking them, and the 2 of them have slipped into background royal status.  I think that they were hurt/bothered by the criticism because ther'es no real harm in them, and a lot of it was due to the fact that they caught hell from the unpopularity of their parents..   OK Bea is a party girl.  Neither of them are snappy dressers and they do seem a bit aimless but they are not BAD people.  I think that now, the press has other targets, they are now both on the verge of marriage and motherhood and probably a fairly quiet life and the press wont bother to attack the many more.

wannable

Beatrice is in Pakistan with very powerful leaders rather than celebrities to exclusively promote that country's snow skiing mountain.  She is with the local President and Prime Minister.  One of the Spanish leaders with her said that skiing in Pakistan is not their thing, but the mountain and it's surroundings is breathtaking and 'virgin'. 

Curryong

But the aim is obviously huge publicity for skiing in Pakistan, which is not a primary locale for British skiers (and no use this promotion going to Western Europe, France, Austria etc as they have their own resorts and nobody there knows who Beatrice is.)

Will Beatrice get enormous publicity for this in the British media? Doubtful, considering who she is and the fact that a lot of Brits don't really know who she is.

And who do you think goes to these more unusual skiing spots? It certainly isn't Joe Blow struggling along on 40 pounds a week! The hope may well be to get dozens of celebrities there!

However unfortunately Pakistan doesn't have the best reputation in the West and some skiers may hesitate about going there for a break.

Beatrice wants to watch that the tabloids don't have a field day talking about the backgrounds of these Pakistani leaders, who has invested their own money in it, (whiffs of corruption perhaps)  and how she got to lead this posse. Andrew perhaps, or Fergie, or both, know them, so could be a double edged sword.

And if the crack about celebrities was aimed at the Sussexes (a) they don't hang around with a whole heap of celebrities in their private lives, and (b) I can name several world leaders that Harry has met who are and have been far more prominent in world affairs than those on this expedition.

TLLK

I found the results interesting considering that the family (working and non working members) have not had the easiest start to 2020.

As with all opinion polls, not every person in a nation is asked their opinion.

Daily Question | 18/02/2020 | YouGov

Poll question issued  on February 18th 2020. 

3142 GB adults surveyed
62% say it should continue to have  a monarchy.
22% say it should not continue to have a monarchy.
16% say they didn't know.

Click on the link to view the breakdown of gender, region, political party and social grade.

Curryong

62% is on the lower end of the scale actually, which hovers usually in the 70%s and has on occasion gone into the 80s. More don't knows perhaps as the anti monarchists generally hover in polls at just under a quarter of the general population.

These sorts of figures will hold IMO while the Queen lives. She is regarded as untouchable, even by republicans. It's what happens with a new unpopular monarch that will be of interest.

TLLK

Yes I agree @Curryong that it is  on the lower end of the scale than in the past, but IMHO I had expected it to be lower.