His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh-Death and Funeral thread

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 09, 2021, 11:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

Breaking story from PA news agency's Law Editor Sian Harrison:

The Duke of Edinburgh's will is to remain secret to protect the "dignity'" of the Queen because of her constitutional role, the High Court has ruled.

https://twitter.com/PARoyal/status/1438534895777812484?s=20

Not exactly a breaking story. Sealed wills are the norm with the Queen and consort.

wannable

Prince Philip's will is to remain SECRET for 90 years to protect the 'dignity' of the Queen and 'close members of her family'

In a ruling published today, Sir Andrew ordered that Philip's will is to remain sealed for 90 years from the grant of probate ? the formal process which confirms the authority of an executor to administer a deceased person's estate ? and may only be opened in private even after that date.

Not only the public, but any member of Her Majesty's family can't publicly talk about it.

Sir Andrew said that, as President of the Family Division of the High Court, he is custodian of a safe which holds 30 envelopes ? each containing the sealed will of a deceased member of the royal family.

He said the earliest envelope is labelled as containing the will of Prince Francis of Teck, and the most recent additions are the wills of the late Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, the Queen's sister.

In 2007, Sir Mark Potter, then president of the family division, dismissed an application by Robert Andrew Brown for the unsealing of the wills of the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret.

Mr Brown claimed to be the illegitimate child of Princess Margaret and asserted that he had an interest in unsealing and inspecting the wills in order to establish that claim.

However, his claim was not accepted by the court and was struck out as 'vexatious and an abuse of process' ? a decision upheld by the Court of Appeal.

:P

The judge said he wishes to publish an annex to his judgment detailing the names on the 30 envelopes in the safe, but will not do so at present in case his decision to do so is the subject of a legal challenge.

Conclusion, IF anyone challenges it, HE will make a detailed annex. Another win for the BRF.

Curryong

But it?s not just Prince Philip. The wills of senior royals going back to Victorian days have remained sealed for the most part. I think it?s an excellent process simply because otherwise the tabloid press would be examining every detail and commenting on it. Whether this privilege will remain for future senior members of the RF as the 21st century progresses is another matter. In another generation it might well be considered elitist in the extreme.

wannable

Yes, Sir Andrew as quoted said the safe has 30 letter wills.

Curryong

Yes, but the sealing of wills within the royal family only became customary when Queen Mary, then the Duchess of York, applied to have her father?s then her brother?s will sealed in order that the Press did not get hold of the fact that her playboy brother Frank had given jewels left to him by the Duke and Duchess of Teck to his mistress. The Press has constantly squealed for thirty years or more about the practice, calling it elitist and illegal. In fact the process is not confined to royalty. Anyone can apply to have their will sealed.

Prince Phillip and Sealed Wills

wannable

Yes, it is also in the quote of Sir Andrew about Queen Mary's brother, in ''his'' safe custody, that is his number 1 will received by his predecessor, from 1910 he now has 30 all from the BRF.  That is why he will give a period of challenge, if not he will make sure to add a detailed annex to all 30 wills and the future, hence I said another win for the BRF.

Curryong

As I?ve stated before, I don?t know why this is considered headline news. No British consort (or monarch) for the last 100 years or more has had an unsealed will. Of course newspapers don?t like it. This time they want to paw among the dirt to see whether PP left anything to his girlfriend Penny.

Curryong

Closest woman friend. She visited Wood Farm at Sandringham to stay with Philip many times. Attended his funeral.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on September 17, 2021, 03:07:55 PM
Closest woman friend. She visited Wood Farm at Sandringham to stay with Philip many times. Attended his funeral.

but that's not the same as girlfriend.    we know she's a relative who has been close to Philip....

Curryong

There?s a limit to what can be said on forums like this one. If you Google Philip?s name coupled with hers there are plenty of articles (and accompanying hints), also quite a bit regarding their closeness in bios by well known royal biographers.

And Penny herself isn?t a relative of Philip?s. She was the daughter of an extremely wealthy meat business mogul, who married Mountbatten?s grandson shortly after Earl M was killed.

Curryong

Royal biographer Ingrid Seward implied in her book Prince Philip Revealed that the two may have enjoyed something that goes beyond a typical friendship:

"When I saw Philip and Penny gilding around the dance floor at the Royal Yacht Squadron Ball during Cowes Week, neither of them gave a damn who saw them or what anyone might say."

Amabel2

She's still a relative by marriage and quite  a bit younger than him.  Anyway, seems obvioius what is being hinted.

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 11, 2021, 11:45:27 AM
New BBC Prince Philip documentary features unseen footage from Queen's 'private' collection | Daily Mail Online

Thank you to all who are sharing the articles and links :thanks:  I found this info from the DM article to be interesting. It seems to me that Prince Phillip was trying to ensure that his own children would have as much time with him as possible considering how  their mother's role limited her time with them. As someone who did not have  the same secure childhood that his wife did, Prince Phillip appears to have been wanting to provide his children with attention and love from their father.

QuoteThe images reflect how Philip was able to spend more 'quality time' with the children when they were growing up, given the demands made on the Queen.

He taught all four how to swim in the pool at Buckingham Palace and always saw them before bedtime.

And when the Queen's ten red government boxes arrived at 6pm sharp ? even at weekends ? and she disappeared to read them, he would delight in keeping the children amused, often playing hide-and-seek with them in the corridors at Windsor Castle.

TLLK

Seventeen year-old Lady Louise has joined her elder cousins in paying tribute to their late paternal grandfather by participating in the documentary. She speaks about her own personal involvement in the DoE Gold Award Scheme.

Lady Louise Windsor, 17, takes centre stage in Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

The documentary about Prince Philip on the BBC ?The Royal Family Remembers? is now up on YouTube. Who knows for how long! Very interesting! So watch, and enjoy.

LIVE - Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers (2021) | BBC ONE Documentary - YouTube

TLLK

Agree with @Curryong that you should watch it while you can. It's definitely worth viewing IMHO.

I especially enjoyed hearing from his German great-nephew Prince Bernhard and Phillip's  son-in-law  Timothy Laurence as it was a rare opportunity to hear from family members that knew him but are typically not in the spotlight.

wannable

Quote from: Curryong on September 22, 2021, 10:47:16 PM
The documentary about Prince Philip on the BBC ?The Royal Family Remembers? is now up on YouTube. Who knows for how long! Very interesting! So watch, and enjoy.

LIVE - Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers (2021) | BBC ONE Documentary - YouTube

Thanks for sharing, watched it last night, a drop or two of the salty liquid wiped out with my bedsheet. What an extraordinary man, I love the fun and outdoor games he instilled, then with the DoE awards, the barbecue anecdotes, his adventure all over the world, all of it really.

Here's Gert's who has all the condolences letter of gratitude.

Left to Right: Wessexes, Princess Anne, HMQEII, Private Secretary Duke of York
Bottom LtoR: POW, DDoC's

Curryong

I enjoyed the documentary very much and I?m pleased that others have too. What I find remarkable about PP whenever I?ve seen docos, read biographies etc featuring his life is how full of gusto he always was from his youth. Philip may not have been overly-sensitive in many ways but he always grabbed hold of life and any opportunities and gave them a good shake! Extraordinary really when you consider his early life and its tragedies.

Not just exile from the land of his birth, but his parents separation, their anxieties about money (having to rely on relatives) and above all, his mother?s incarceration for years, which meant he didn?t have a home really for most of his childhood. Philip was more or less treated like a parcel, passed between his grandmother, sisters, uncles, aunts and family friends. And then of course his favourite sister and her family were killed.

That could have squashed the life out of him (as it did his father) and made him extremely insecure. I do think Gordonstoun and Hahn had a great influence on him, as well as the times in which he lived, with that ?Just get on with it!? outlook so many had. But Philip was certainly an outstanding man.

TLLK

Good to see that HM and her family were determined to set an example by declining the offer to allow for more mourners to be present.

NEW: The Queen overruled Prime Minister Boris Johnson to ?set an example? ? Royal Central