The Wessexes and Family General Chat

Started by TLLK, March 10, 2019, 02:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A thread to discuss the general news for the Wessexes not related to royal duties.

TITLE FOR THE EARL OF WESSEX | The Royal Family

QuoteThe Earl of Wessex is Patron of a number of Scottish charitable organisations, such as The Edinburgh International Festival, the National Youth Orchestras of Scotland and Badminton Scotland.

As Trustee of The Duke of Edinburgh?s Award, HRH has supported the non formal education of thousands of young people in Scotland and holds annual Gold Award presentations at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

In 2014 The Earl was Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, The Queen?s personal representative to the Assembly.

Their Royal Highnesses will use the title The Earl and Countess of Forfar when in Scotland.

The Earldom of Forfar was created in 1661 and became extinct as a title in 1715. It was a subsidiary title to the Earl of Ormond and was a title held by the Douglas Family.

Curryong

Well, the Queen hasn't forgotten Edward's birthday this year! And it's very nice that it is connected with the Bowes Lyons and Glamis. Is it a bit of compensation, I wonder, for having to wait possibly until old age for the Dukedom of Edinburgh.

Blue Clover

LouisFerdinand

Will Edward be 1st Earl of Forfar or 3rd Earl of Forfar?

Curryong

Edward is the first Earl of Forfar of that particular creation (by the Queen, his mother) as the line of the former Earls died out centuries ago.

TLLK

The Windsor Titles ? Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar ? Royal Central

QuoteIn 1999, prior to the wedding of Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones, it was announced that the Prince would, in the future, become the Duke of Edinburgh; so on the occasion of their marriage, he was instead bestowed the title of Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn.

Blue Clover

Princess Cassandra

And with that goes the responsibility for the DOE's organization.  I understand that the Earl is already in involved. 

Blue Clover

@Princess Cassandra That's interesting! Its going to be a big transition for Edward.

Princess Cassandra

Yes, although he is already working on it! It's not something that gets a lot of coverage, though.

Blue Clover

Prince Edward and daughter Lady Louise canter through the grounds of Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

Did the DM get it wrong in this article?  :eyes: The Countess of Sussex (Wessex) is correct.  :thumbsup:

TLLK

Oh dear Lord...can't they get Sophie's title correct!!!

Blue Clover

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

oak_and_cedar

They all start so early. At what age does learning to ride horses become "impossible".
I'm curious. Other sports you can take up and learn at practically any time. Though perhaps you won't become a professional.

Princess Cassandra

They were not galloping!
Oak and Cedar: You can learn to ride at any age as long as you are healthy enough. Strength, flexibility and balance are important in the sport, so if you want to learn to ride you should prepare by going to the gym to strengthen your muscles and improve your flexibility and balance. Do a lot of walking, too. It is a very enjoyable sport, and if you feel that you don't want to risk a fall you can learn to drive instead. 

Curryong

I just wonder when Edward got the title of Earl of Wessex on his wedding day and arragements were reportedly made for him to eventually be the Duke of Edinburgh of a new creation, whether anyone realised that Edward could well be in his sixties before he gets his Royal Dukedom in the next reign?

Of course his parents aren't in any way to blame for living into their nineties and indeed they may well both reach 100. However I do wonder whether such longevity among the family was considered when Edward was promised his father's title. He's been an Earl for twenty years and in that time his much younger nephews have been given Dukedoms. Wonder whether there was a tinge of regret in the granting of this latest Earldom by the Queen, as a sort of consolation prize?

amabel

Possibly. Though Im sure she's glad that Philip is still around and pretty spry, though he has retired from active work.

Blue Clover

Curryong, You ask a few good questions.  :thumbsup: I wonder how Edward feels about this? Sophie's star seems to be rising, I wonder if she is preparing for a more high-profile role?

TLLK

Sophie?s support for the countryside ? Royal Central

QuoteSophie, the Countess of Wessex, has become a dedicated senior member of the Royal Family in the last decade. She has chosen to support a number of different causes and represents The Queen across the Commonwealth. Her Royal Highness is a patron to a number of organisations and quietly but thoroughly supports them all. In a lesser capacity, she supports the Prince of Wales in the Campaign for Wool to promote the use of British wool.

Definitely something that she has in common with QEII, the PoW and DssoC. :happy:

Princess Cassandra

Yes, I love that about her. That picture of her with a little boy and his lamb is absolutely adorable - he's so little but all dressed up with a tie and all, and seems so proud to show off his pet. And she doesn't seem afraid of that bird of prey, does she!

sandy

Trudie

Fantastic it is really nice to see Sophie and Autumn getting together with their children to make a difference.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Trudie on December 18, 2019, 10:03:58 AM
Fantastic it is really nice to see Sophie and Autumn getting together with their children to make a difference.
I agree! I hope they will get increased publicity-exposure over this worthy project. It's a great example for people to see and be influenced.