The new royal titles for Archie and Lilibet 2023

Started by wannable, March 08, 2023, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

A thread to discuss the new royal titles for Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet of Sussex

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail

The title is in line with the precedent created by letters patent issued by George V in 1917 which conferred Prince or Princess on male line Grandchildren of the Sovereign. They have been entitled to be used since The King's accession. The Sussexes have now chosen to do this.

Buckingham Palace website will be updated in due course

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 08, 2023, 01:01:34 PM
I thought that he was always unofficial as he didn't regard himself as relgious.  so now Lili is going by the title of Princess

According to Rebecca English the RF website is going to be adjusted. Wannabie has just posted her Twitter.

And I reproduce it here.

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail

The title is in line with the precedent created by letters patent issued by George V in 1917 which conferred Prince or Princess on male line Grandchildren of the Sovereign. They have been entitled to be used since The King's accession. The Sussexes have now chosen to do this.

Buckingham Palace website will be updated in due course

TLLK

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64890702

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Sussex's daughter has been christened at the couple's California home.

Princess Lilibet Diana, who was born to Prince Harry and Meghan in June 2021, was christened on Friday.

The announcement is the first time she has been publicly called a princess and confirms that Harry and Meghan will use the royal titles for their children.

The couple's spokesperson said members of the Royal Family were invited to the christening.

Although she was not a princess at birth, because she was not a granddaughter of the monarch, she gained the right to that title when King Charles acceded to the throne.

Buckingham Palace has said the royal website - which currently lists her and brother Archie with the titles miss and master - will "be updated in due course" to reflect the title.

wannable

Brilliant move by the palace. After Harry and Meghan accusing at the Oprah. Rules are rules, they have chosen to be associated with the monarchy.

Here is what basically is being written all over

"Harry and Meghan Markle's decision to refer to their children as Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet is a 'predictable' move that shows their connection to the British royal family is 'priceless' despite the Sussexes' recent attacks on the monarchy"

Yale

The palace also confirmed that the children are styled "HRH" Prince Archie  and Princess Lilibet Diana of Sussex

Amabel2

Yale

The Line of Succession on the Royal website is updated with the children's titles.

TLLK

Quote from: Yale on March 09, 2023, 11:49:32 AM
The Line of Succession on the Royal website is updated with the children's titles.

Here's the link to the Line of Succession from the British Monarchy website.  The website does not list the names of all of the people who are currently in the Line of Succession ie: QEII's cousins, nephew and niece etc... It begins with The Prince of Wales (William) and ends with Master Lucas Tindall and includes the children of the late QEII and DoE, their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  The list on the site will be updated when the second child of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbanks is born and everyone after that newest member will shift down one place.

https://www.royal.uk/succession

QuoteThe line of Succession

SOVEREIGN

1. The Prince of Wales

2. Prince George of Wales

3. Princess Charlotte of Wales

4. Prince Louis of Wales

5. The Duke of Sussex

6. Prince Archie of Sussex

7. Princess Lilibet of Sussex

8. The Duke of York

FanDianaFancy

The Sussex kids are titled now by their birthright as their grandfather is K of E. Nothing shocking there.

Blue Clover

sara8150

King Charles opted to grant his grandchildren royal titles - after Queen Margarethe faced backlash | Daily Mail Online
If late Queen Elizabeth would be here today from heaven cant give their great grandchildren have titles HRH but Queen Elizabeth said cant have HRH will know Sir or Lady if born out UK will know mrs during Queen Elizabeth?s reign years

Meghan Markle's children Archie and Lilibet have new surnames - will they use them? | HELLO!
Will know as Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor and Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor but change to Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet of Windsor upgrade from Buckingham Palace line of succession

Amabel2

Quote from: Nightowl on March 11, 2023, 02:05:01 AM
As Harry and Meghan said about the way they titled their children.....*It is their birthright* so maybe Harry can finally accept that he was born 2nd and William was first as it is his birthright to be the heir and king someday......Now will Harry/Meghan walk back on what they said .....time will tell!   Jealousy does not become anyone!
They have repeatedly gone back on what they said, sometimes contradicting themselves within a couple of days of soem statement.

Amabel2

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 11, 2023, 04:24:11 PM
Harry and Meghan never said they didn't want title for their kids, so there was nothing to walk back on. Meghan said, if it was their birthright, she wanted it for them and it wasn't her choice, it was theirs.

If it's true that the Spencer Aunts came, I'm happy to see that. They were at Archie's.

T
THey didn't use a title for Archie when he was born, so presumably they did not want him to have a title.

Yale

I'm sorry but I have to say this. Leave those children alone!! They are babies for goodness sake! The titles of prince and princess with the style of HRH is their birthright!!  This mess is on social media and I am just sick of it!!! Prince  Harry is their father and BLOOD royal. It was done the minute the Queen passed away. Their grandfather didn't need to approve anything.

Yale

Quote from: TLLK on March 10, 2023, 10:40:58 PM
@Yale-Here's the thread for the Sussex children's titles if that's the one you are referring to in you post. Let me know if you are able to join in. It's in the sub forum for the Sussex family-Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet of Sussex

The new royal titles for Archie and Lilibet 2023

I still can't get in.

wannable

The parents are not leaving the children alone, they have already been sold to Netflix

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 11, 2023, 07:43:35 PM
THey didn't use a title for Archie when he was born, so presumably they did not want him to have a title.

I don?t think either of them wanted Archie to have the courtesy title Earl of Dumbarton. For better or for worse, SM had had a wonderful time making fun of that subsidiary title as soon as it had been announced. I remember defending it on SM at the time and some Yank saying ?DUMBarton! You just can?t make this up!?

No you can?t because Dmbartn (which is how it?s really pronounced) is a fine old Scottish town, but there was laughter all over the internet at the time Harry got it. If he and therefore Archie had been given something anodyne like Earl of Abbotsford or something, nobody would have blinked an eyelid. And his parents didn?t want their son subjected to it.

And they knew, or at least Harry did, that when Charles was King his grandchildren would automatically be Prince and Princess anyway, been that way since 1917. I think Meghan misunderstood and expected that Archie would be made a Prince by LPs in the way that William?s children had been, and so they decided that there was no way Archie would be made to bear the subsidiary title and they would wait.

TLLK

A number of speculative posts regarding the Sussex children's possible future thoughts and feelings about their parents and various family members have been removed. Please keep the discussion to the Sussex children's tittles. Thank you.

TLLK

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on March 11, 2023, 11:28:08 PM
I don?t think either of them wanted Archie to have the courtesy title Earl of Dumbarton. For better or for worse, SM had had a wonderful time making fun of that subsidiary title as soon as it had been announced. I remember defending it on SM at the time and some Yank saying ?DUMBarton! You just can?t make this up!?

No you can?t because Dmbartn (which is how it?s really pronounced) is a fine old Scottish town, but there was laughter all over the internet at the time Harry got it. If he and therefore Archie had been given something anodyne like Earl of Abbotsford or something, nobody would have blinked an eyelid. And his parents didn?t want their son subjected to it.

And they knew, or at least Harry did, that when Charles was King his grandchildren would automatically be Prince and Princess anyway, been that way since 1917. I think Meghan misunderstood and expected that Archie would be made a Prince by LPs in the way that William?s children had been, and so they decided that there was no way Archie would be made to bear the subsidiary title and they would wait.

@Curryong - I've  read that the word "dumb" has a different connotation in the UK than it does in the U.S. As you likely know by now that "dumb" not only means mute or unable to speak but in the U.S. it means "stupid." Which understandably would have given Meghan some concerns.

I have read that Dumbarton is a beautiful town in Scotland with historic significance so I can also understand why it was selected to be one of Prince Harry's subsidiary titles in 2018.  Here's a video with the various pronunciations of the town's name starting with Scots. Dumbarton pronunciation: How to pronounce Dumbarton in Scots, English, Welsh

Amabel2

we know that dumb means stupid, if it bothered Harry he could have explained this to the queen and asked her to give him a different title

PrincessOfPeace

I'ts going to interesting when we'll see their new titles used. Harry and Meghan passed on using 'Lord' and 'Lady' but seem to have no issues with princely titles. Natch

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on March 12, 2023, 05:15:22 PM
I'ts going to interesting when we'll see their new titles used. Harry and Meghan passed on using 'Lord' and 'Lady' but seem to have no issues with princely titles. Natch

well I suppose not even they are going to say that the kids have to be addressed in playschool as YRH and Prince Archie etc. It will be reserved for when they are on TV.  Reminds me of a not very good novel about Nell Gwnne I read once, where Nell keeps mentioning the titles of her *** children, because she is so thrilled ot have them haivng titles.....so she is saying THe Earl of Burford wants a drink of milk, or Lord X is crying