Prince and Princess of Wales future roles

Started by Curryong, December 16, 2015, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Some Welsh nationalists have and are objecting to the title of the Prince of Wales being used. At the least they and Welsh officials are asking that William (and Kate) learn to speak some Welsh. If it turns out anything like William?s French there?ll be a problem! I remember Charles having to learn some Welsh within a two month period. He admitted only a couple of years ago that he could remember only three or four sentences in the language, which he uses on occasion when he visits the country.

?My respect would be increased?: Prince William urged to learn Welsh | Prince William | The Guardian

wannable

They must love Wales a lot! The scope of their wedding reception, but what was their biggest motif was all the tables were ID with Welsh cities, towns.

(The Menu was Scottish (dessert English), the gift bag a mix of tinned cake and goodies from all 4 corners of UK)

Macrobug67

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-62968227

Kate Middleton to Catherine: Becoming Princess of Wales

QuoteBBC Wales correspondent Huw Thomas, who is writing a book on King Charles' time as the Prince of Wales and the monarchy's relationship to Wales in general, said: "Really, the role as the wife of the heir to the throne has been one of being in the background.
"The main issue for the newest princess is that she follows an icon, that she follows Diana, who is in all of history the most famous Princess of Wales that ever lived.
"There's always this sense that the Prince of Wales title is lumbered with great historical argument, and war and murder. The Princess of Wales title, as a globally recognised entity, it is for everyone Diana, and that's probably the biggest benefit and also the biggest barrier towards Catherine being able to use that title and to settle into that role."

Curryong

Diana was indeed the most famous Princess of Wales in history and is still remembered and missed, very fondly today. It would have been odd if she?d lived on after her divorce and not remarried, as there would have been two women titled the Princess of Wales.

It?s worth remembering however that Alexandra, King Edward VII?s wife and Consort, was the Princess of Wales from 1863 to 1901, when her husband succeeded to the Throne. That length of time meant that for many people she was the only Prss of Wales they had known, and she was not only beautiful but extremely popular and down to earth.

That must have been quite daunting for Mary Duchess of York who was a young wife and mother but had been in the RF for less than a decade when she became the Princess of Wales on her own account. She was in fact there for less than ten years before becoming Queen Consort in 1910. So every modern Princess of Wales has blazed their own trail, and we have to wait to see what Kate does with the title.

LouisFerdinand

How William's life has changed now that he is The Prince of Wales   
How William's Life Has Changed Now That He's Prince Of Wales - YouTube   

:xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1:

TLLK

Looking back at 2022 for the Prince and Princess of Wales/Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the changes that occurred for the couple this year.

YEAR IN REVIEW: All change for William, heir to the throne ? Royal Central

QuoteIt might take a while before hearing the title Prince of Wales doesn?t immediately conjure an image of King Charles. After all, he held the title for a record-breaking 64 years (from 1958 to 2022), and achieved so much on the global stage, not only for himself as a statesman, but for Wales and its people.

But as of 9 September, William is the Prince of Wales. To say he has huge shoes to fill is an understatement, but if his first four months as heir to the throne is any indication, William will also leave behind an indelible legacy.

ROYAL YEAR IN REVIEW: A title with history: how the new Princess of Wales began to make a fresh mark on the royals ? Royal Central

QuoteFor the family, it was business as usual?the wheels of succession working in real time?but for the public, long captivated by the image and illusion of Diana, Princess of Wales, it meant a new woman finally using the long-dormant title.

FanDianaFancy

Dignity, protocol. Heart . Focus. The people. The govt.

P/P of Wales are doing well.

The people and the govt seemed pleased , pleased more than not pleased overall with them and other than that, nothing else matters.

wannable

They are and will be fine with their Prince and Princess of Wales roles.

A lot of study and deliberation with all their court circulars and what goes on behind the scenes. The ex criticism of 'too much time, long studies, why do they take so long' has paid off nicely, genuinely knowing and caring about multiple issues, staying humble rather than I'm a PhD attitude.

If not the above, we'd be witnessing William telling the Wales people rushed up, I want my Investiture, BUT no, he has wise words, we want to ''earn'' the trust of the Wales people.

The only blotch is the Montecito duo 'making anniversaries' to mark Catherine birthday 9th think of me me me; Megxit and Spare.  :orchid:
Source: all the RR's say these 2 events are/will be remembered a day or 2 before they happened.  Catherine is a target. The POW, future Queen and Queen Mother, right!

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: wannable on January 04, 2023, 06:17:14 PM
They are and will be fine with their Prince and Princess of Wales roles.

A lot of study and deliberation with all their court circulars and what goes on behind the scenes. The ex criticism of 'too much time, long studies, why do they take so long' has paid off nicely, genuinely knowing and caring about multiple issues, staying humble rather than I'm a PhD attitude.

If not the above, we'd be witnessing William telling the Wales people rushed up, I want my Investiture, BUT no, he has wise words, we want to ''earn'' the trust of the Wales people.

The only blotch is the Montecito duo 'making anniversaries' to mark Catherine birthday 9th think of me me me; Megxit and Spare.  :orchid:
Source: all the RR's say these 2 events are/will be remembered a day or 2 before they happened.  Catherine is a target. The POW, future Queen and Queen Mother, right!
What a shame when Catherine is trying so hard to use her role for the good and welfare of others. She seems absolutely genuine and down to earth to me and doesn't deserve to be anyone's target in my opinion.

FanDianaFancy

No. Lol.
Target , GREAT.
All this will do is REVESE FOR CATHERINE instead of making her a target.

The people, the truth, her sense of duty, effort, heart in her role will carry her and give her sympathy instead of some others trying to target her. Lol.

TLLK

Lambrook school begins its Lent term on Wednesday 1/11/23 so I expect that the Wales might have their first engagement of 2023 on Thursday or Friday.

wannable

^ Friday, Camilla Tominey confirmed it's Friday 'undisclosed visit.  Embargoed.

Nightowl

FanDianaFancy

PofW birthday.
No doubt she I?ll have a celebration. Be it just her husband children, fine.
Of course, household sent birthday wishes.
Maybe she had on Sunday a nice dinner at home o her parents home for  just the family.

we, the public, will never even things minor like this in her private life. Best things are she has a very private life, good parents, close siblings.

wannable

Gert's Royals
@Gertsroyals

A copy of the official Letters Patent granting Prince William the titles Prince of Wales & Earl of Chester.

This is the official legal document that granted William these titles.

PrincessOfPeace

Here's a tweet containing more documents. I don't know how to post pics from my phone lol -

< Letters patent, sign-manual warrant and patent roll entry relating to the conferring of the Principality of Wales.

The Crown Office has confirmed that illuminated letters patent have been prepared and sealed with the pendant seal, and are in the possession of Kensington Palace. >

https://twitter.com/CrownOffFOIDs/status/1638925201252515840?s=20

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on March 23, 2023, 05:55:48 PM
Gert's Royals
@Gertsroyals

A copy of the official Letters Patent granting Prince William the titles Prince of Wales & Earl of Chester.

This is the official legal document that granted William these titles.

I'm actually pleased that it is written in both English and Welsh.

LouisFerdinand

It is interesting that each time Prince William's name is mentioned all his names are included: William Arthur Philip Louis.

Curryong

An article from Daniela Elser Aussie columnist, whose main role as a journalist is to provide copy for British tabloids in their attacks on Meghan and Harry every five minutes.

However here in an article for Aus News she turns her attention to Kate, under the headline ?Kate Midfleton?s 29 day disappearance is a big problem for King Charles.?.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/kate-middletons-29day-disappearance-is-a-big-problem-for-king-charles/news-story/33896472fa206de8a694dcb925eefdb6

Imagine getting the biggest job of your life so far, a job with possibly crushing pressure, and having assumed the mantle of one of the most truly iconic women of the late 20th century, and then proceeding to take four weeks off work.

And yet, that is exactly what Kate has just done.

Even now, she is on track to take off about four months this year, which is nearly 11 weeks, or just shy of three months more than most Brits get.

Now the Wales apologists in the room will be quick to interject here and point out that for years, the Prince and Princess of Wales have routinely taken off British school holidays to spend time with their three tiny HRHs, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

There are 16 weeks of hols in the Lambrook year, the private school that all three wee Waleses started attending after the family moved to a home on the Windsor estate last year.

If the Princess of Wales keeps up the pattern we have seen, of taking lengthy chunks of leave so she can gambol about muddy fields or teach her children the correct way to discipline a footman, then this has the making of a very real problem for her father-in-law and ultimate boss King Charles.

One of the most overused lines about the late Queen was her having once quipped, ?I have to be seen to be believed.? While it sounds like the sort of bon mot that would have made her the toast of dinner parties for the horsey set, there is more than a grain of truth to it.

Perhaps the most fundamental thing the royal family has to do is to be seen.

Gert's Royals: Prince William & Princess Kate - Official Engagements (2023)

It is now nearly May. How many official engagements has Kate performed so far this year?

Official Engagements so far in 2023:

William Solo - 24
Kate Solo - 21
Joint - 18
So, 39! And it will be seen that William isn?t bursting a boiler as a full time royal either!

Curryong

Kate Middleton Criticized for Working Just 90 Engagements This Year 2022.

The data set lists Kate as having undertaken 90 public engagements, which when compared to the annual data published by The Times of London in 2021, would have her down 33 engagements from last year.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, working royals who are first cousins to Queen Elizabeth II, undertook 100 and 94 engagements, respectively, over the course of the year, despite both being in their seventies.

According to @rebootdigitalpr, who analysed entries on the Court Circular, this is how many official engagements each working member of the Royal Family carried out in 2022:
1.  Princess Anne ? 214
2. King Charles ? 181
3. Prince Edward ? 143
4. Countess Sophie ? 138
5. Prince William ? 126
6. Camilla, the Queen Consort ? 102
7. Duke of Gloucester ? 100
8. Duchess of Gloucester ? 92
9. Princess Kate ? 90
10. Duke of Kent ? 78

HistoryGirl2

I completely agree with this. There is no reason why her numbers shouldn?t be higher. While I don?t expect her to be competing with Princess Anne, she shouldn?t be that low on the list as the Princess of Wales.

And all of her children are in school, so the old excuse of raising the kids can?t really be used anymore. I can?t see what school holidays have to do with it either. If you take those off, it should only mean that most every other weekday that you?re not on holiday should be filled with an engagement of some kind.

wannable

Roya Nikkhah
@RoyaNikkhah
The Prince of Wales and his private secretary, Jean Christophe Gray, are to part company as William and Kate restructure their household with a new CEO. They have also appointed a new COO, Sean Carney, who joined Kensington Palace this month from Telemos Capital
@thetimes
👇🏼

Curryong

Having a CEO in charge of a royal Household instead of the Private Secretaries that have existed since mid reign in Queen Victoria?s time is a very new development. We will have to wait and see how it unfolds. It will all depend upon how this CEO manages staff under him and courtiers from the main other Household, the King?s. Theres always plenty of jealousies, petty and otherwise, afloat in these bureaucracies so it is likely to be a couple of years at least before this new position will be seen as good or bad. All Royal Households are very traditional in their approach so everyone will have to adjust.

PrincessOfPeace

The Prince of Wales is to hire a former diplomat who was made an MBE for work on international peacekeeping as his private secretary as he takes on more royal responsibilities.

Ian Patrick, who has worked for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and as a geopolitical consultant, will join the Kensington Palace team as part of a restructuring to support the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Prince of Wales hires diplomat as he steps up responsibilities

PrincessOfPeace

Inside William's next act: Tatler's May issue goes behind the scenes as the Prince of Wales is rising above the noise - and playing the long game. -

The burden of leadership is falling upon Prince William - but as former BBC Royal Correspondent, Wesley Kerr OBE, explains in Tatler's May cover story, the future king is taking charge. -

https://www.tatler.com/article/prince-william-cover-may-2024?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter