The Education and Preparation of the Wales children Part 2

Started by TLLK, July 27, 2023, 09:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Welcome to Part 2 of the Education and Preparation of the Wales Children

The previous thread can be found here The Education and preparation of the Wales Children

Curryong

There?s been an awful lot of emphasis being put here on marital stability of parents, non broken home etc. However, the Queen and PP had a stable and happy marriage. In spite of that, three of their four children got divorced and look how Andrew turned out! And Margaret was a very unhappy woman who had a miserable marriage in spite of her parents being very happily married. So all that stability didn?t help there!

On the other hand Anne?s children are the product of a broken marriage, (and further shenanigans by Mark Phillips) are reasonably successful and happy, as are Andrew and Fergie?s daughters, who, in spite of being accused by the British media of being party girls for many years, have turned out fine.

I would suggest that the difference between the Phillips and Yorks and Andrew and Margaret was the fact that the latter were spares and the others were/are much lower on the totem pole in terms of prestige and Press interest.

Margaret and Andrew were brought up in a very privileged lifestyle with high rank. However they knew from an early age that whatever they did or didn?t do in the world they would ALWAYS come second to their sibling. And that is what will be facing Charlotte and Louis in another ten-fifteen years or so. What to do with the rest of their lives simply because of their birth order. And with the public spotlight on them throughout their youth.

All the advice in the world isn?t going to help them navigate a path if they begin to stumble, more especially as William, like Charles, has always been the senior child and therefore never came second. And the Middletons, who have never been royal, certainly won?t be able to give advice. My contention is that nobody knows what the position of second in line to the heir is like unless they actually live it. We will see how Charlotte and Louis negotiate that path and whether they end up happy and content. Because their predecessors, the ones who were the product of happy and stable marriages didn?t succeed in being so.

wannable

I think they've had before Gweneth Paltrow invented the conscious separation/divorce. I recall reading a few weeks ago Princess Anne's and her two husbands, children, the separated/divorced children with their new ones, from yours and mine were all together for a family BBQ of the sort. I like this approach of modern families.

Andrew and Sarah also have a similar divorce but together parenting with their now married children.  Andrew and Harry are the case studies for W&C, spoilt, never were said no, covere ups, self entitlement that is scary.

I like to think positive mixed with W&C approach to their own family unit. William is lucky he was not made King at age 25. I also like the fact that Catherine is genuinely dedicated to children charities. Like Anne did too, she said it took her 10 years of children charity experience to talk about all of it like an expert. I'm sure Anne's modern family approach was learned.

Anyway, because of my age, I think, staying healthy, I will get to see George, Charlotte and Louis at least until they are 45ish

Curryong

Whatever their parenting styles and attitude to divorce may or may not have been, Andrew and Anne still had children whose parents were not together for a lifetime. And they also have not produced heirs and spares, either of them. Whereas, those bastions of Stability, the late Queen and PP, married for over seventy years, did. And had three divorces between their four children.

And King George VI and the QM were married from their twenties until the King?s death. They also produced an heir and a spare. And the spare divorced after an awful marriage. So quite obviously the stability in those cases didn?t help their spares find happiness and contentment.

Plus, a royal having an interest in children?s charities doesn?t necessarily translate to the patrons of those charities having happy, stable and productive children. Emotions of all sorts comes into it with one?s own children.

wannable

Andrew was a spare to Charles before he had his children. I beleive W&C, especially W knows the root of the spoilt self entitled behaviour of A and H. Is there different approach to the second born, yes there is, will W&C use it, very likely, it is a learned thing. I am a believer of the couple so no matter of predicting or wishing a la H stating he did the book - I'm worried for Charlotte, whilst doing illegal mushrooms. I will keep on believing and seeing with my own two eyes the development in real time.

Curryong

Yes, we will see it. And all three children have been born into immensely privileged lifestyles and two of them will probably not be performing fulltime royal duties as adults, but finding their own way. If all three go through their adult lives with happy marriages and no stumbles along the way that will be truly remarkable.

And Harry in ?Spare? was at least speaking from the position of having been a spare throughout most of life until his later 20s, which is more than William, Kate, most of his royal relatives and 99.9% of the world?s population can say. Plus, Andrew was the spare until he was 22, which was less time than Harry.

wannable

His spare ''thoughts'' from the amout of breakfast sausages, size of bed/bedroom etc. etc etc is simply a parents mistake (I'm not getting into what they could have, should have, would have) mixed with a lot of anger and jealousy towards his brother.

Anyway, I don't want to keep on getting out of topic. As I said I believe very much in this couple.

Nightowl

^
I also very much believe in William and Catherine in how they are raising their children.  I think William is damn lucky to have found and fell in love with Catherine who has been a driving force in their marriage, not out front(playing some game to be seen and heard as she is not some insecure woman) but behind the scenes of the royal family.  She comes from a stable home life as a child and I believe wants the same for their children. The future is a mystery to all of us and we can't tell what will happen then yet I put my money on William and Catherine with their children. neither Harry nor Meghan came from a stable happy secure childhood and I don't think either one of them knows what it takes to have that for their children.

TLLK

I would have to say that there's definitely an advantage to growing up in a home where there is stability and routine even if the parents are no longer together. I believe that Peter/Zara and Beatrice/Eugenie had that type of upbringing which unfortunately William/Harry did not enjoy.  Even now that Peter and Autumn are divorced, their daughters seem to be benefiting from the example that Peter's parents set.

I believe that the Wales children will certainly have their adolescent and young adult stressful and challenging times during those years. It's all a part of maturing and learning. However, they seem to have a better foundation than their father and uncle had during that time in their lives.

Nightowl

Quote from: TLLK on July 28, 2023, 12:27:00 PM
I would have to say that there's definitely an advantage to growing up in a home where there is stability and routine even if the parents are no longer together. I believe that Peter/Zara and Beatrice/Eugenie had that type of upbringing which unfortunately William/Harry did not enjoy.  Even now that Peter and Autumn are divorced, their daughters seem to be benefiting from the example that Peter's parents set.

I believe that the Wales children will certainly have their adolescent and young adult stressful and challenging times during those years. It's all a part of maturing and learning. However, they seem to have a better foundation than their father and uncle had during that time in their lives.

Yes, I agree with you 100%, somehow Peter/Zara and Beatrice/Eugenie parents have done a great job in  raising their children as it shows how wonderful they treat people in and out of public today.  I just chuckle thinking about their teen years as we all have to go through that time period. I also believe Catherine interest in early childhood development has come from her own childhood on how she was raised.  And this has helped to show William how to be with his children.  They are not perfect as nobody
is yet how they are working with their children is a huge improvement from the way things were done in the past. 

TLLK

The Wales children will be returning to school on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023.

Term Dates - Lambrook

wannable

Cameron Walker
@CameronDLWalker

NEW: Kensington Palace confirms The Princess of Wales will NOT be attending @EarthshotPrize in Singapore alongside Prince William in November.

Prince George has exams that week and Princess Catherine wants to be at home to support him.

TLLK

The SAT exams are compulsory for all Year Two and Year Six students across the UK.

What Are SATs? And More: Comprehensive Guide To The SATs

QuoteKS2 SATs in Year 6

In Year 6 SATs are a more formal process of testing, and children will sit KS2 SATs 2023 in:

English Reading
    English Grammar
    Punctuation
    Spelling
    Maths

They will also be assessed by their teachers on subjects including speaking and listening, writing and, in some cases, science.

wannable

^^ Further fandom investigation Prince George has Eton admission tests by stages

1st stage: November 2023
2nd stage: March 2024 - both tests IF PG pass will get offered  a place at Eton

3rd final stage: exam when he's 13 to enter 9th grade.

Admission to Eton College

The super POW fandom says this is Catherines priority, PG will be doing his first above ^^ SAT tests as @TLLK posted next year. NOTE: Usually teachers recommend parents to start studying for SAT 1 year prior to date, so the SAT information provided by TLLK is relevant to PG. 

Curryong

George is presumably of normal intelligence so is likely to pass anyway. However, anybody who believes that children in line to the throne anywhere in Europe not just Britain, would be refused admission to any educational establishment because they haven?t passed the required tests, would be deluded. And that goes triple for Eton, a school that has educated Britain?s leaders for centuries.

Interesting though that Eton is such a front runner with George?s parents, considering it?s a single sex school so Charlotte won?t be attending, plus there will inevitably be calls of elitism from some, as (although the school does offer scholarships) it costs an arm and a leg to send a child there and it is still a school for the children of the rich and powerful.

wannable

This is what @trhpow a 5 star super POW fan wrote on social media. By the looks of it PG will have a very busy schedule October 2023 to September 2023 minimum for all types of exams.

All boys who have registered for Eton for the beginning of the '25 school year must be why June 2023. In the Autumn of the boys year 6 (George is in Y6) - they will sit what is known as the ISEB Pre-Tests. These tests include English, Mathematics, Non-Verbal reasoning & verbal reasoning and each test score is standardised and age-adapted to give measure of ability & attainment irrespective of when the boys - birthday falls within the academic year.

The boy will then undergo what's called a Head Teachers report and will be sent to the school and this covers academic strength, interests and character. Eton then review the results of the pre tests and the head teachers report - and decide whether or not the child can continue on to stage 2. Outcomes for stage 1 is communicated in December.

Boys successful in stage 1 will then attend Eton for assessments within the following age groups;
-Boys for whom significant financial aid is requested will be assessed in mid-January
-Boys with birthdays between September and the first half of December will be assessed in late January/early February
-Boys with birthdays between the second half of December and March will be assessed in late February/early March
-Boys with birthdays between April and August will be assessed in late April/early May

This assessment will consist of an interview, an online predictive test of academic ability and potential on a computer.
These results will be presented in March, May & July.

Boys who are successful in stage 2 will be offered a conditional place at Eton College;

The boys will then sit either The King's Scholarship Exam, Common Entrance Exam or Eton Entrance exam in year 8.

wannable

March 2023 article by Richard Eden, Daily Mail

Eton's Provost Head, former Tory Cabinet minister Baron Waldegrave, revealed at a reunion dinner that all that could be set to change.

''I'll let you into a secret - Every year, the governors of Eton consider whether Eton should go co-ed. And we don't quite decide. But, of course, we will go co-ed in due course.''

William Waldegrave, 76, is the brother of Lady Susan Hussey, one of the late Queen Elizabeth II's ladies-in-waiting and part of the monarch's trusted inner circle for more than 60 years.

PC is 8, Eton has 2 years to decide. Something tells me she will be the first Eton princess.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 29, 2023, 10:24:38 PM

Eton?s Provost Head, former Tory Cabinet minister Baron Waldegrave, revealed at a reunion dinner that all that could be set to change.

?I?ll let you into a secret? Every year, the governors of Eton consider whether Eton should go co-ed. And we don?t quite decide. But, of course, we will go co-ed in due course.?

William Waldegrave, 76, is the brother of Lady Susan Hussey, one of the late Queen Elizabeth II?s ladies-in-waiting and part of the monarch?s trusted inner circle for more than 60 years.

PC is 8, Eton has 2 years to decide. Something tells me she will be the first Eton princess.

We?ll see.They haven?t gone co-Ed yet, despite talking about it for the last 20 years to my knowledge, and in spite of many inducements to do so. And that still won?t remove the elitist atmosphere that lingers around this most elite of schools, while the UK becomes more and more egalitarian in outlook.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on September 29, 2023, 10:24:38 PM

Eton's Provost Head, former Tory Cabinet minister Baron Waldegrave, revealed at a reunion dinner that all that could be set to change.

''I'll let you into a secret - Every year, the governors of Eton consider whether Eton should go co-ed. And we don't quite decide. But, of course, we will go co-ed in due course.''

William Waldegrave, 76, is the brother of Lady Susan Hussey, one of the late Queen Elizabeth II's ladies-in-waiting and part of the monarch's trusted inner circle for more than 60 years.

Interesting and I am curious if it will happen in the next few years. I wonder if Harrow is considering opening up to girls too?

TLLK

I am not surprised that they are visiting Marlborough too.
They will likely keep their options open.

wannable

Yes, I like that they are carrying out several visits/options open.

The Catherine comment/quote that Prince George has done a lot of 'testing'. Those two schools (Eton and Marlborough) are not the only ones that have 'similar' application processes.

I personally think options should be down to three (3).

Curryong

Eton is single-sex and considered elitist. It has the sole advantage of being very near Windsor. Marlborough is also a public school and therefore somewhat elitist though nothing like Eton. It depends if the Waleses want to have their children separated during the latter part of their education. Charlotte can?t attend Eton, at this time anyway.

Personally, later on when they are in their mid teens, I would send them all to a boarding school on the Continent similarly to what was considered for Queen Daisy?s sons for their French, and what has been tried for Elizabeth Brabant and the Infantas in Wales. Practise a foreign language daily, as they did with English so you can speak it with only a slight accent.

I think it was appalling that opportunity wasn?t given to William and Harry. As a result they are both mono-lingual, which is a real disadvantage in a modern monarch when you consider how many languages the Continental heirs, consorts  and sovereigns have under their belts as a matter of course. If George and his siblings learned French thoroughly it would at least be a start.

wannable

It's nice to have proficiency in several languages. Especially if it will be consistently used.