Re: Prince Adolf of Schaumburg-Lippe

Started by LouisFerdinand, April 17, 2018, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

It was unfortunate that Princess Viktoria had a miscarriage and no other children born. Motherhood is an occupation that some women highly value.

Amabel2

not all women want to be mothers but mostly royal women are expected to have children....

LouisFerdinand

@Amabel2, That has been a fact for centuries. Kings and princes have wanted sons to continue the family.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on July 07, 2021, 10:54:43 PM
@Amabel2, That has been a fact for centuries. Kings and princes have wanted sons to continue the family.

Just a note?-Adolf was a seventh child and fourth son so I don?t think that his particular line was in danger of dying out. Especially as his eldest brother Georg and his wife Marie Anne had an enormous family with four or five sons themselves.

Having said that, although Adolf wasn?t an heir I?ve no doubt that the fact that they were childless was a blow to himself and Victoria. Most couples want a family and that was especially true at the time they married. Victoria would probably have had an operation today which would have helped with subsequent pregnancies.

Amabel2

I wouldnt even say that most couples want a family.. However, royals did have a responsibility to produce heirs..and from what I can remember, Victoria's marriage wasn't that happy was it?  Having children could be a bond where a couple have had to marry for social reasons..

Curryong

Yes, Victoria Moretta was the daughter who mooned over Sandro (Alexander Prince of Bulgaria) for years before the new Kaiser Willy finally wrote to him to tell him the wedding was definitely off. Victoria was very depressed and had an eating disorder. She was convinced she was ugly and no one would love her.

After Adolf proposed Moretta told several people it was love at first sight but to Vicky she confessed she ?had felt herself withering on the vine? and that was the reason she accepted. They led a rather uneventful existence afterwards and I?m sure a couple of children would have helped, but I don?t think this Princess led a particularly happy life anyway. She married that young faux Russian Baron Alexander Zoubkoff in her widowhood in the 1920s, who left her broke. She died soon afterwards.

Amabel2

Ah yes I forgot that she was Moretta, and had that love thing with Alexander of Bulgaria.  He wasnt really that much in love with her either.. poor girl. I rembmer now that she married an adventurer who made her even unhappier in later years.  I think that in that time, children DID provide a focus for marriage and if a husband was unfaithful or not affectionate, it gave the wife someone to care for...
Its some years since I read books about the German RF, but I did get the impression that the marriage to Adolph wasn't all that lovey dovey... so it is sad that she didn't have children...

Curryong

There was a huge auction of Victoria?s inherited pieces, silverware, China, artwork before her death, but due to the state of the German economy of the time most things went for a song or remained unsold. I know from an article in the London Times concerning her funeral that the only members of her family to attend her funeral at Burg Kronberg were her sister Margaret (Mossy)  and Henry's wife Irene. I think Henry was dead by that time.

The ex Kaiser Willy sent a wreath but the other sister Queen Sophie of Greece ignored the event totally. Letting the side down by marrying an commoner adventurer I suppose. Moretta was buried with the Hesse Kassel family at Burg Kronberg. Bit strange.

Amabel2

Moretta was trying to get a divorce when she died.. she had made an awful mistake and I suppose the German IF with its snobbiness was shocked at her behaviour.  Willy couldn't go to the funeral I'd imagine because he was living in the Netherlands at the time and I think he may have been barred from Germany... ?  not sure about the others...

LouisFerdinand

When and where did Princess Victoria meet Baron Alexander Zoubkoff?

Curryong

Early in 1927 Moretta held a party for some university students at her residence in Bonn. Zoubkoff was one of those attending, as he was studying law at the University there. He represented himself to her as an aristocratic Russian emigre whose family had lost their money in the Revolution.

He was certainly poor and as their relationship grew he battened on Moretta and dropped out of attending University. They were often separated after they married and after Zoubkoff ran through his wife?s money (she had limited funds as her late husband?s family stopped her widow?s allowance after her second marriage and many of the Hohenzollerns became estranged from her) he apparently worked as a waiter sometimes when he wasn?t drug affected.

Amabel2

He was a disasttrous second husband.. it wasn't just that he was of lesser birth... and Moretta knew it...