Monarchy question

Started by Lala87, January 02, 2005, 04:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lala87

Sorry for being ignorant, but why isn't the Queen's husband, Prince Philip known as "King"?

And did he come from some kind of nobility or another country's monarch?  

~Sophia~

You'll probably get the best answer from Windsor,but I'll give it a try :D
Prince Philip isn't "King" because he's a man.I think he's queen consort.And yes,he's the Prince of Denmark.He came from Denmark

rebekah

He actually was a Prince of Greece and Denmark. He had to leave Greece when he was a little boy though. He grew up in England and was schooled there. He is a distant cousin to the Queen actually. They are both Queen Victoria's great-great grandchild, well two of them.  

~Sophia~

QuoteHe actually was a Prince of Greece and Denmark. He had to leave Greece when he was a little boy though. He grew up in England and was schooled there. He is a distant cousin to the Queen actually. They are both Queen Victoria's great-great grandchild, well two of them.
See?I'm not good at this stuff :lol:  

rebekah

Opps, I hope I didn't sound like a teacher. I didn't mean to, just have loads of random facts in my head and thought i would share them with u!  

~Sophia~

QuoteOpps, I hope I didn't sound like a teacher. I didn't mean to, just have loads of random facts in my head and thought i would share them with u!
No,I'm not saying anything bad about you! :) I'm just saying how much I'm clueless about Prince Phillip. :D  

rebekah

Most people are. I mean, who really wants to know much about him? Although when he was younger he was quite good-looking. The Queen has good taste! He also makes the most funniest comments which normally get him into trouble with the press!  

~Sophia~

QuoteHe also makes the most funniest comments which normally get him into trouble with the press!
That's what I like about him.Even though I like Prince Edward,I think it's funny how furious he was when he dropped out of the army.

rebekah

I remember reading about that in a book about Sophie and Edward. Its in the newspapers this morning actually. Because Prince William is going into the Marines, they are saying he will be different from Wimpy Edward! Bless.  

Windsor

QuoteSorry for being ignorant, but why isn't the Queen's husband, Prince Philip known as "King"?

Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was born on the island of Corfu on June 10, 1921, to Prince Andrew of Greece and his wife Princess Alice, the eldest daughter of Louis Alexander Mountbatten. He inherited his titles from his father, who was a grandson of the Danish monarch Christian IX.

In the British monarchy, the husband of a female monarch does not have any recognized special status, rank, or privileges. In actual fact Prince Philip does play a major role in royal affairs, but this is not recognized in terms of his title. Interestingly enough, the wife of a male monarch (e.g. the Queen Mother was the wife of King George VI) takes on her husband's rank and style upon marrying, becoming Queen.

:wavey:  

sharon

http://www.britainexpress.com/royals/philip.htm

ROYAL PROFILES
Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh

quote from article:

QuoteBorn Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark at the Greek Royal residence of Mon Repos on the island of Corfu on June 10 1921, Philip was instantly f?ted by his family as a future hope of one of the world?s most celebrated Royal dynasties. His father, Prince Andrew, was the grandson of King Christian IX of Denmark, while his mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, was the eldest child of Prince Louis of Battenberg, and sister to Earl Mountbatten of Burma. Yet for all the privileges enjoyed at the start of his life, the young Prince?s early years were to prove anything but easy. The idyllic island life lasted a mere 18 months.

By the mid-1920s, the Greek Royal family was facing a fundamental threat to its future existence. When a revolutionary court sentenced Prince Andrew to death, he, his wife and their five children had little choice but to try to flee their home as quickly as possible. Fortunately, King George V had from London kept himself fully apprised of the situation. The King despatched a Royal Navy warship to evacuate the family just a day after the trial. It was a life-saving act of kindness and Royal solidarity that the family never forgot.

~Sophia~

QuoteI remember reading about that in a book about Sophie and Edward. Its in the newspapers this morning actually. Because Prince William is going into the Marines, they are saying he will be different from Wimpy Edward! Bless.
Prince William also thinks that Prince Phillip is funny!He said that Phillip makes him laugh in that St.Andrews interview.
Phillip is portrayed in the media as grumpy and bad-tempered! :happytears:  

rebekah

I do not think I ever saw that interview. I remember it being in the BBC News briefly, but I do not think I ever saw it in full.  

~Sophia~

QuoteI do not think I ever saw that interview. I remember it being in the BBC News briefly, but I do not think I ever saw it in full.
Here's the link. :wavey:
Prince William's gorgeous face :D  

rebekah

Thank you for the link. You from America?

~Sophia~

QuoteThank you for the link. You from America?
Yes,I'm from America! :wavey:  

rebekah

Wow. Most people on here are American...well it seems so. Are royalty popular in the US?  

Lala87

Wow, thank you everyone for responding to my question and thanks for the link sharon!  :D

I like how the women get a little upper hand in that they can be called Queen either way. hehe :lol:  

~Sophia~

QuoteWow. Most people on here are American...well it seems so. Are royalty popular in the US?
Yes!Everyone in America love royalty!Most Americans were excited with the idea of William coming to live in America! :lol: I remember there was a rumor about that,but he never came. :( I think royalty is scrutinized around the world.
The closest thing we have to royalty in America are the Kennedys.

rebekah

I read a newspaper report today that said a member of the British Government had said that the monarchy will end with the death of the Queen. I could not believe it. I mean I love the royal family. It makes England different! I don't want to become a republic...Tony Blair as President of England freaks me out so much. We wouldn't be the same without our Royal Family.  

Lala87

QuoteI read a newspaper report today that said a member of the British Government had said that the monarchy will end with the death of the Queen. I could not believe it. I mean I love the royal family. It makes England different! I don't want to become a republic...Tony Blair as President of England freaks me out so much. We wouldn't be the same without our Royal Family.
I see what you mean. I don't think the monarchy would end with the Queen however maybe it would be more modern kind of? Like I guess the Queen kind of represents the more older traditional monarchs(which I don't mean in a bad way at all  :D ) but I remember watching something that said they think the monarchy will go through some changes once William becomes King (I know Charles is first but they think William would have the bigger impact since he is the next generation).

P.S. Thank you Sophia for the William link as well!

~Sophia~

QuoteI read a newspaper report today that said a member of the British Government had said that the monarchy will end with the death of the Queen. I could not believe it. I mean I love the royal family. It makes England different! I don't want to become a republic...Tony Blair as President of England freaks me out so much. We wouldn't be the same without our Royal Family.
I hope that doesn't happen.Even though I'm American,I still want the monarchy to last.I want William to become king!
The idea of Tony Blair becoming President of England also freaks me out. :ph34r:
QuoteP.S. Thank you Sophia for the William link as well!
You're welcome! :hiya:  

rebekah

It needs to modernise! And spend less of the tax payers money!! lol. William will make a great King William V!!
Charles on the other hand, well, the less said about him the better, although I would still rather him King than nothing at all. I just really hope he doesn't marry Camilla. Queen Camilla just doesn't sound right!

~Sophia~

QuoteIt needs to modernise! And spend less of the tax payers money!! lol. William will make a great King William V!!
Charles on the other hand, well, the less said about him the better, although I would still rather him King than nothing at all. I just really hope he doesn't marry Camilla. Queen Camilla just doesn't sound right!
It doesn't sound right,but if Charles becomes king,while he's married to Camilla,then I think she will definitely become queen.

Windsor

QuoteIt needs to modernise! And spend less of the tax payers money!!
The Queen owns land and buildings know as Crown States. This includes urban property and around 120,000 hectares of agricultural land know as rural states. There are also marine assets throughout the United Kingdom. Profits from the estate (?147,7 million) are paid to the Exchequer for the benefit of the taxpayers in return for the civil list which this year was ?36,8 million.

So if you look at these figures, The Monarchy is better of without the Civil List.

Civil List: ?9,9 million
Parliamentary Annuities; ?400,000
Grants-in-aid: ?21,6 million
Expenditure met directly by Government Departments and the Crown Estate: ?4,9 million

Total Cost of the Monarchy for the year ending 2004: ?36,8 million

The British Monarchy makes up 20% of the British Economy by the form of tourism

So technically The British Monarchy doesn't cost anything to The British people

Every British Citizen pays for the Monarchy each year: ?0,65