General Chat for the late QEII and the late DoE

Started by marine2109, June 03, 2013, 08:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A thread dedicated to the late QEII's and the DoE's news that is not part of their official engagements, duties and visits

Queen steps down as patron of children's charities - BBC News

Other members of the BRF will take up the patronages that she has resigned from. HM remains that patron of 600 other organizations.

It appears that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Sophie and Anne are picking up about 3 new patronages each. Will update in the respective threads when information becomes available.  :xmas9:

Double post auto-merged: December 20, 2016, 08:40:44 PM

The Queen's Patronages | The Royal Family

The official announcement from BP however it does not list which royal will be the new patrons. The various charities/organizations have been making the announcements through their social media.

Jennifer

QuoteQueen to step down as Patron of 25 charities

Buckingham Palace has announced that The Queen will step down as patron of 25 organisations at the end of the year.

Her Majesty, who turned 90 this year, is thought to be stepping down as Patron due to her advancing age and the gradual decline in her workload.

Other members of The Royal Family will pick up the patronages, many of whom already serve as Vice-Patron or Presidents, ensuring a smooth transition.

Read more:
Queen to step down as Patron of 25 charities – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

While some of the new patrons have been announced by the organizations, other announcements will be made in 2017.

LouisFerdinand

Do you think that the Countess of Wessex will take on the role of patron of the Royal School of Needlework?

Curryong

^ Yes, I think Sophie will be given that. She has visited the Royal School of Needlework and expressed interest in their work. Royals who have a history of a visit or two to a charity in a particular area of interest of theirs generally become vice patron or President and eventually Patron of the organisation involved.

Actually, I think the Queen became patron of the RSN almost by osmosis. Her much loved grandmother, Queen Mary, was a great patron of charities that promoted needlework, tapestry work and so on because she herself embroidered, did tapestry work for chairs in her homes and taught her children the crafts. However the Queen's never, so far as I know, expressed much interest in sewing, knitting etc or adopted such as hobbies. I think she took this over as Patron because it gave the School prestige and would have pleased her grandmother.

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 22, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
Do you think that the Countess of Wessex will take on the role of patron of the Royal School of Needlework?
Yes because as @Curryong has mentioned she's paid visits to them in the past. There is a pattern of the patronages going to members who have a current role with the organizations or an interest or history with a group. I don't think that it is a mere coincidence that some of these organizations received a visit from the royal who is becoming their patron in recent months.

Jennifer

QuoteQueen steps down as patron of 25 national charities

The Queen will step down from 25 of the 600 national organisations she is patron of at the end of this year, Buckingham Palace has confirmed. The patronages will be passed on to other members of the royal family in the coming months.

It has already been announced that the Duchess of Cambridge will take over the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) Wimbledon, while Prince Harry has been confirmed as the new patron of the RFU, England rugby's governing body. Prince Charles will look after the Holocaust Day Memorial Trust, while Prince William is expected to take over the Welsh Rugby Union.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: "Her Majesty is currently Patron of more than 600 organisations and has enjoyed a close and active association with a great number of them throughout her reign. Her Majesty will continue to serve as Patron to hundreds of charities and institutions but will now share this work with her family. Many of the organisations listed below already have other Members of the Royal Family as Vice-Patrons or Presidents which will ensure a smooth transition."

Read more:
Queen steps down as patron of 25 national charities
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

Since QEII's resignation from these patronages Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne have all picked up at two- three of her former ones.

Curryong

^ Yes, I believe the transition is on in earnest now, especially since the Queen gave everyone a little glimpse of her mortality over Christmas. It's good to see that the younger royals are beginning to step up to the plate too.

LouisFerdinand

Who will be the patron of Edinburgh International Festival?

TLLK

Edward the Earl of Wessex is the new royal patron.

sara8150

We have wait and see who will replace for queen's patronage because she nearly 91 this April and who will be best selected for member of royals family on new roles of patron..

TLLK

Quote from: sara8150 on February 21, 2017, 05:00:04 AM
We have wait and see who will replace for queen's patronage because she nearly 91 this April and who will be best selected for member of royals family on new roles of patron..

@sara8150-At this point in time all or nearly all of them have now been filled by Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie and Anne.

Nightowl

I also am glad that the younger generation is going to take over some of HM's duties, it is time for a short rest during the week.  I so admire this lady, and I hope if I live that long that I have the energy and stamina to go about as she has done........long may she be with us for many years to come!

TLLK

Royal Easter Biscuits Recipe | The Royal Family- Short how to video is included. :flower3: :random2:

(Americans-This appears to be a gingerbread cookie type recipe and you could substitute molasses for British golden syrup. Apparently we don't have an equivalent to golden syrup. It's not Karo syrup.  Of course you could always do a sugar cookie.)

Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders seem to have better access to British golden syrup or have a domestic product that is similar.

Curryong

Yes, it's sold in many places in the Commonwealth, don't know how popular it is though. Golden syrup is miles sweeter than molasses. I can't remember having it much as a child except a spoonful mixed in over porridge in the winter.

LouisFerdinand

The gingerbread cookie does remind me of Grandmother's molasses cookies. It is nice to see that there are still metal cookie cutters!

Princess Cassandra

Maybe some of our RF members will try it? I have other things planned for this year but will try another time. Sharing the recipe was another thoughtful offering to help relieve the boredom of isolation. I feel for those who are alone but it helps to remember the Easter message, and thank Heavens for technology.

TLLK

I would love to try it but I am missing a few ingredients and right now items like flour are still in short supply where I live. I'm currently "hoarding" our supply of flour, yeast and sugar.

However if someone has the opportunity to try the recipe please let us know how it turns out!

TLLK

Twitter

QuoteThis Friday, the Head Gardener at Buckingham Palace, Mark Lane, will be here to answer your garden-related questions! #NationalGardeningWeek

We've had recipes and tips from the Palace kitchen staff so now they're sharing the Head Gardener's expertise. He's receiving many questions from people in the UK and in other nations.  :flower:

LouisFerdinand

I should reserve Mark Lane for the entire day. I have so many flower questions.  :flower3: :flower3:

TLLK

Twitter

QuoteThe Royal Family
@royalfamily
The Victoria Sponge
🍰
was named after Queen Victoria, who regularly ate a slice of sponge cake with her tea, each afternoon!

To mark Royal Garden Parties, Buckingham Palace Pastry Chef's are delighted to share this traditional recipe with you.

Princess Cassandra

I hope somebody asks how the London Plane trees are doing after they were pruned of diseased branches at BP. So sad when a tree species gets hit with an incurable disease....here in New England we've lost our Elms, our Chestnut Trees, and now our Ash Trees. There was also a discovery of an Asian Horned Beetle which may have been eradicated by drastic means.  Whole neighborhoods in the city of Worcester had trees removed because of it, and it hits about five species. Nasty things!!!