Diana's Fashion, Jewelry and accessories- All Years

Started by LouisFerdinand, December 14, 2015, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

@TLLK  s posts were about the fact that gifts from foreign states are not property of the individual royals, so in that sense, once he is king, and then the loaning of them out falls to his decision.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 21, 2018, 10:33:14 PM
Thanks for the info @TLLK guess its one of those many differences between normal ppl and royals in terms of customs. Its a shame they didnt go directly to the boys, while im sure they will have some access to them, its not the same as having them in ones own estate/possession and relying on the good grace of the family to loan them out.

Also once HM goes, one wonders if Charles will want these visual reminders of his first wife out on display?
I would gather that the gifts of jewelry from Middle Eastern monarchs have become a bit of an issue as we saw with Sophie's gift. Having it remain in possession of the Crown/State seems to be the best solution as an outright refusal could be seen as a diplomatic snub.

Now it is possible that the pieces could be reworked in a different manner but ultimately would have to remain with the Crown. So if Harry and Meghan were to redesign the Saudi Sapphires into a new piece for her to wear, then that should be acceptable as long as they return to the Crown at their deaths.

TBH I don't really think that Charles would mind that Diana's old pieces are being used by his daughters-in-law. He seems to appreciate fine jewelry on the ladies that he cares about and since he's gifted Kate with some lovely pieces, I'm sure that the same will happen with Meghan.  :)

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 21, 2018, 05:21:27 PM
Kate seems to have got quite a bit of Diana's jewellery, including the most important ring in Diana's collection. She also seems to have snaffled earrings and a bracelet.

Considering that some at least of his mother's jewellery, ie the Saudi suite, probably went back into the Royal vaults and others are inappropriate such as the push present necklace with 'William' etched on it in Charles's writing, it will be interesting to see what scraps have been left for Harry's wife, considering the jewellery was SUPPOSED to have been shared between her two sons not just given to the one who married first. Very little in my estimation.
I wonder since Meghan has shown a distinct preference for yellow gold, if she might be the one to inherit Diana's extensive collection of gold earrings, necklaces and bracelets that she wore often during her day engagements but sometimes at evening events.  Many of them were worn in the late eighties through the nineties, when Diana had moved on from the pearls that she wore more frequently in the early eighties. Among them are Tiffany and Chanel pieces. Now some of the gold pieces are somewhat "dated" but things can be refashioned if desired.

Diana's Yellow Gold Earrings

The Court Jeweler site has this blog on what they believe were Diana's top ten pieces. Some are returned to the BRF, some were refashioned ie: Kate's sapphire drops, others are being  worn by Kate and at least one substantial necklace was sold.

The Top Ten: Princess Diana's Jewels | The Court Jeweller

Trudie

I wonder who inherited the Pearl choker with the Sapphire and Diamond clasp that had been fashioned from a brooch the Queen Mother gave her as a wedding gift.

Curryong

I hope Meghan does inherit some of the gold pieces, TLLK, as otherwise I fear there will be very slim pickings for her. I've just got a feeling that probably a lot was sold. The fashion is long past for pearl chokers and the like, a pity as I like them, but the diamonds and coloured stones could be fashioned into some new pieces, if Diana's private jewellery has been left intact. There is a lovely topaz dress ring I believe, that Meghan might like.

royalanthropologist

Until Charlotte is old enough to start attending banquets as Princess Royal, Meghan will definitely have many tiara events as the Duchess of York. Windsor jewels are typically very "old" even when compared with other European monarchies. I think BRF takes pride in that and expect that princesses will favor them for formal events as opposed to the modern pieces.

Diana had her own private collection but the pieces were not intrinsically valuable apart from the sentimental value attached to the wearer. These are probably very special pieces for her sons which they most likely inherited and will share with their wives. I am hopeful that as queen, Kate will not be stingy and will be more than happy to share with her sister-in-law the big pieces from the Windsor collection.

I think the Loversknot will be worn by Kate then eventually passed on to George's wife (when that happens). Alternatively it might be given to Charlotte when she is the Princess Royal.   
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

royalanthropologist

- Many of Diana's jewels are part of the Windsor collection e.g. Loversknot
- The wife of the second son becomes Duchess of York as Meghan will be.
[edited]
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

She can't become Duchess of York until Andrew is gone. 
I assume that as William was the first to marry, Kate is going to be seen wearing some of Diana's "personal" jewels..  but since the 2 of them inherited her estate, in equal parts, some of the jewellery si there for Harry when he has a wife to wear it.

Kritter

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 22, 2018, 09:11:49 AM
- Many of Diana's jewels are part of the Windsor collection e.g. Loversknot
- The wife of the second son becomes Duchess of York as Meghan will be.
-  [edited]

Edited

The Windsor collection has nothing to do with Diana's jewelry other than Diana wore some of it as Princess Of Wales.

wannable

The issue of the jewels, is because the article mentions the Saudi set which is not clear if its personal or crown estate.  [edited]

Many 'gifts' that are above the regulation price end up as part of the crown estate.   

Blame The Express for including this set of jewels in the article, which was linked to the happy thread discussion.

Kritter

A wedding gift is personal [edited]

Trudie

Kritter is right the Windsor jewels were the jewelry that Diana wore, The lovers knot tiara, Queen Mary's art deco emeralds etc. those were returned to the palace. The gifts Diana received for her wedding were her personal jewels. Sarah York was given jewelry as wedding gifts which she still retains and wears her diamond necklaces, earrings etc the only piece that is her personal property she no longer wears is her Tiara and that is still in her collection but is a gift she was given.

TLLK

Quote from: Trudie on January 22, 2018, 04:23:09 AM
I wonder who inherited the Pearl choker with the Sapphire and Diamond clasp that had been fashioned from a brooch the Queen Mother gave her as a wedding gift.
As this was a wedding gift from QEQM along with the Prince of Wales brooch/pendant, I believe that this would have remained with the brothers.

It appears to me that wedding gifts given to by the BRF members (domestic gifts) to Diana and Sarah have remained with them or their heirs, however any foreign gifts seem to have been returned to the Crown. Sarah's diamond necklace, earrings and tiara were considered a personal gift from QEII and the DoE.

Now Sarah as the Duchess of York received a set of ruby jewelry from Saudi Arabia on her divorce it was returned  to the BRF vaults. They would have been returned as they were given to her as a member of the BRF and were not considered to be her personal property. I believe that the same happened with the Saudi and Quatari gifts that Diana received as the Princess of Wales.  (The article below has an explanation but it won't let me copy it.) :no:

The Duchess of York's Rubies | The Court Jeweller

Double post auto-merged: January 22, 2018, 03:15:28 PM

Here is another article from the same blog about Sarah's diamonds that she received as a gift from her in-laws and was permitted to  keep after the divorce.

(I know this is Sarah and not Diana but it does include an explanation as to why she was permitted to keep the jewelry as opposed to her Saudi rubies.)

The York Diamond Demi-Parure | The Court Jeweller

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thanks for the intel @TLLK and also thank you for this link Diana's Yellow Gold Earrings

As you probably know, im most fond of the pre engagement era, I think the simple jewellery looks best on her, I love earrings and especially the "D" necklace, and wished it would have stayed as it was, but I can understand maybe she felt it needed some sprucing up once she was a royal, and she made it a gold choker.

But the 10 ten was interesting as well, I liked the Spencer Tiara, anything with sapphires and the crescent set from Oman. Wasnt a fan of emeralds and rubies on her, seemed to clash with her skin tone.

[edited]

Thanks for the info @TLLK guess its one of those many differences between normal ppl and royals in terms of customs. Its a shame they didnt go directly to the boys, while im sure they will have some access to them, its not the same as having them in ones own estate/possession and relying on the good grace of the family to loan them out.

Also once HM goes, one wonders if Charles will want these visual reminders of his first wife out on display?

[edited]
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Kritter

[edited]
Since Kate has been seen wearing Diana's jewelry I guess William received the Saudi Jewels.

Duch_Luver_4ever

[edited]

She has the double earrings, but we havent seen her wear much else from that set, it could be that the RF via William gave those to her. @TLLK is a very knowledgeable source of all things royal, so I believe her where it comes to gifts from heads of state.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 22, 2018, 08:08:01 AM
I hope Meghan does inherit some of the gold pieces, TLLK, as otherwise I fear there will be very slim pickings for her. I've just got a feeling that probably a lot was sold. The fashion is long past for pearl chokers and the like, a pity as I like them, but the diamonds and coloured stones could be fashioned into some new pieces, if Diana's private jewellery has been left intact. There is a lovely topaz dress ring I believe, that Meghan might like.
There still remains the Art Deco Greville emeralds from Charles too. Something was the source of Harry's engagement ring side diamonds so it is possible that those good sized stones came from a piece that has been dismantled. TBH Meghan seems to be a rather minimalist jewelry wearer, so some of Diana's 90's pieces might not be her taste. Also I have to wonder if the blue tones that Diana preferred would be flattering on Meghan. The two women have very different coloring.   Meghan's birthstone is peridot so  Harry might opt to fashion a set for her using gold from Diana's older jewelry.

Now as long as Harry does not go all Union Jack or Stars and Stripes with jewelry for Meghan, I'd be okay with what they choose to create. Most of us remember this "unique" engagement ring created for Princess Marie of Denmark.   https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/30/5e/be305eab678184a1892474e1e2b4007c.jpg   :unsure:

Meghan Markle?s Jewelry Style Guide

Curryong

Yes, bless his heart, Joachim wanted to incorporate some French features for his darling in her engagement ring. I wonder what Marie really thought when she saw it!

I think diamonds would look well on Meghan, and perhaps emeralds, rubies and pearls, though the latter are really not in fashion any more. Shame! Both Kate and Meghan are minimalists with jewellery, that's true, but in the future both women will be wearing lots, (State Dinners and so forth, and perhaps more tiara events when Charles is King, so I supposed they'd better get used to it!

TLLK

I agree @Curryong that emeralds, rubies, and pearls would be lovely colored stones for Meghan to wear. I believe that that Charles will gift his new daughter-in-law with a versatile all diamond set: earrings, bracelet and perhaps a necklace as a wedding present which would be hers to keep.

Double post auto-merged: January 22, 2018, 06:26:17 PM

Another good source for information on Diana's jewelry.

Diana's Jewels

Double post auto-merged: January 22, 2018, 06:27:33 PM

@Curryong-This is the site that had information on Diana's gold earrings, bracelets and necklaces.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 21, 2018, 10:02:30 PM
Kate is not the daughter or inheritor of Diana.  The only people who can trash whatever Diana had is William and Harry for that matter.

Kate likes to wear a lot her own Kiki McDonough jewelry during daytime royal duty outings. She uses the more fanciful jewelry that were Diana's or Crown Jewels during evening wear.
AFAIK Diana's executors were Frances and Sarah. I believe that they would have been the ones to organize, collect and dispose of Diana's personal belongings when it was time to remove them from KP.

Kritter

Paul Burrell did a lot of collecting on his own. Maybe he collected Jewelry too.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Also some pieces were sold to private collectors, like one of the diamond and pearl necklaces. I suppose it gets sticky where it comes to auctioning some off for charity, but at the same time, theyre historical treasures of that time, and one wonders if they shouldnt be preserved for posterity in a museum or something.

It would have been nice for example with her first dress auction, if they could have been "leased" instead of sold where someone could have them for say 10, 20, 25, 30 yrs and then they revert to a museum. IDK if as many ppl would have gone for that, and of course in 96 none of us knew how close to the end we were for her lifespan, but in hindsight, it would have been a nice option for both clothes and jewels.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 22, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
AFAIK Diana's executors were Frances and Sarah. I believe that they would have been the ones to organize, collect and dispose of Diana's personal belongings when it was time to remove them from KP.
Was Frances an executor? I thought it was Sarah...

TLLK

@amabel-From what I've read it was both mother and daughter as the executors of her estate.

As Remainder Of Princess Diana's Estate Passes To Harry, Troubling Questions Remain

QuoteAfter Diana passed on August 31, 1997, her mother, Frances Ruth Shand Kydd, and her sister, Lady Elizabeth Sarah Lavinia McCorquodale, became executors of her Estate, based on Diana's last will and testament dated June 1, 1993 (amended through a codicil in 1996).  The probate filings revealed that Diana left behind assets valued at around ?21 million (or worth about 31.5 million in USD at the time), netting ?17 million after estate taxes.  Originally, the will called for these assets to be held in trust for Diana's sons, Princes William and Harry, until they turned 25.

amabel

I wonder why that was. I thought that she mad her will in 1996 after the divorce but possibly she had made one after her separation from Charles...