Diana General Chat #1

Started by cinrit, July 14, 2013, 02:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Here is a new thread to discuss the Royal Wedding. I mentioned Diana as Lady Diana in the title because she was not a Princess when she became engaged to the Prince of Wales.   

LouisFerdinand

Would Westminster Abbey have worked as the location of Princess Diana's wedding?

Curryong

^ Yes, of course it would. It's worked for every other Royal wedding.

I've never been totally sure about why St Paul's was chosen. The prevailing myth or tale is that Diana didn't want to marry in the same church where her parents had wed. I suspect that St Paul's being larger, was considered much more suitable for the all-out pageantry and spectacle that the first wedding of a Prince of Wales for nearly 120 years demanded. A large canvas indeed. The world's royalty, Commonwealth leaders, HOS etc had to be invited as well as notables from British politics, the arts, sciences etc. Even in those days there were apparently difficulties in raising enough police and service personnel to make it all work. However, it did, and it all looked magnificent.

Duch_Luver_4ever

if you go on youtube you can find the interview C&D gave shortly before the wedding (a fun watch both for the nostalgia, and the body language, demure posturing, etc of Diana, but at the same time she showed that fiery willfulness, giving him a playful jab about saying he was a tower of strength cause he was sitting there).

They actually had the makings of a well timed duo, you could see where Jephson would later say when they worked together ontour they were a world beating couple. Ah for what could have been....

But to answer your question, he mentions it was due to the acoustics and the number of guests were the reason as I recall. Now it could also be Diana had those feelings about the Abbey, but she didnt share them at that time.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

It was bigger and more photogenic..and Charles wanted it..

Trudie

@amabel I agree as the carriages drew up to the cathedral it was so magical seeing that majestic dome and for this wedding it was the best choice. Charles went to the trouble of picking all the music and it was just beautiful the sound was much clearer and Dame Kiri was awesome.

LouisFerdinand

Wikipedia declared: "Charles and Diana selected St. Paul's because it offered more seating and permitted a longer procession through the streets of London."

Duch_Luver_4ever

Now its 36 years since the wedding, between all the sniping and countersniping, take a moment and remember what you were doing that day, how you felt, what you saw, and what we thought it would have been.  :flower:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

I'd followed Diana in Aussie magazines and newspapers since the engagement announcement. I suppose, like lots of other people, I was glued to the TV. I was in Australia for once and my inlaws had relieve.. er kindly taken my two older children for a couple of days. We had a girlfriend of mine staying with us and we two were just transported to fairyland. That's mostly what I remember, the huge crowds roaring and cheering, the smallish coach transporting Diana, the wedding dress seemingly creased to the devil but then transformed by the Emmanuels at the church entry. The earl leaning on his daughter and looking quite ill actually.  I can remember all the royals looking extremely pleased, especially the Queen on the balcony afterwards. It's hard to think she was only 55 then. There was a sort of magical sheen or atmosphere about on that day, I think.We all felt it.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Prince Charles' two supporters were Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. However only Andrew rode with Charles in the 1902 State Landau to St. Paul's Cathedral. Edward rode with Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in a separate carriage.

sara8150

Mystery of the back-up that vanished, how her waist shrank five inches in six months and a secret message in her shoes: Diana's dress of the century
Diana and the dress of the century  | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Thanks for posting this @sara8150 and IMO it's one of the better written articles from the DM in a very long time. Great information regarding the team: designers, craftspeople, farmers etc...who created this memorable gown.

LouisFerdinand

I give Diana immense credit for selecting a virtual unknown, the Emanuels, for making her wedding gown.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I think the combination of her keen sense of style and reading people made her confident they could pull it off, despite their lack of experience.

TLLK

From the site that is dedicated to all royal fashion, this is the review and retrospect on Diana's wedding dress.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Top 10 Best Royal Wedding Dresses: #7. Diana, Princess of Wales

This is the site owner's review of this dress from 1981 and she lists her reasons as to why it made her personal Top Ten list in 2010. 
:)

In 2012 the dress was ranked #16 on the list. The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: The Next Ones

LouisFerdinand

^The site owner wrote that: The 25 foot train was one of the main stars of the day. I totally agree. However, Diana Frances was herself superb!

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on August 27, 2017, 08:18:43 PM
From the site that is dedicated to all royal fashion, this is the review and retrospect on Diana's wedding dress.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Top 10 Best Royal Wedding Dresses: #7. Diana, Princess of Wales

This is the site owner's review of this dress from 1981 and she lists her reasons as to why it made her personal Top Ten list in 2010. 
:)

In 2012 the dress was ranked #16 on the list. The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: The Next Ones

I must read this. I like the dress very much, I have never thoguth that it was OTT, I'm always surprised how many people dislike it.  And even if it were downright ugly, I don't think it is nice ot rubbish someone's wedding dress as it is such a special thing for a bride.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Glad I was sitting down, were in agreement about something Diana  :lol:

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

It will be 38 years that Prince Charles married Lady Diana. One nice thing about their wedding day was that there was no rain. 

:curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy:

TLLK

Despite the marriage not working out, it was a beautiful ceremony that day. :happy:

Princess Cassandra

It was literally awe inspiring and thrilling. I can never think of their marriage as a failure - they had two healthy children and were great parents. We see the results today, despite the tragedy of the breakup and her death. 

Curryong

Yes, it was a wonderful and joyful day so many years ago now. The whole country went mad. It was lovely!

dianab

it was a beautiful ceremony. but it's sad no one of them was happy that day. as diana herself 'when we left the cathedral saw all those people so happy who thought we were happy'...

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on July 29, 2019, 01:16:14 AM
It will be 38 years that Prince Charles married Lady Diana. One nice thing about their wedding day was that there was no rain. 

:curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy: :curtsy:
it was a beautiful summer day. diana was born in a summer, married a future king in a summer, had her future king son in a summer and died in a summer