Earl and Countess of Wessex to visit Canada from 11 to 18 September 2012

Started by Windsor, August 09, 2012, 02:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

The Earl and Countess of Wessex Attend the Toronto International Film Festival | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
For the Earl of Wessex, attending the Toronto International Film Festival reflects his longstanding interest in film and the theatre. Instead of pursuing a military career like his elder brothers Prince Charles and Prince Andrew, Prince Edward pursued jobs in the arts. In 1988, he joined Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group as a production assistant.

Edward's work inspired a personal visit to Toronto in 1989, when the Prince attended the premiere of the Phantom of the Opera. After working for another theatre company, Theatre Division, Edward founded his own television production company, Ardent Productions, in 1993. Ardent produced a broad range of programs, most notably documentaries about King Edward VIII and the restoration of Windsor Castle after the 1992 fire, but experienced financial difficulties. Both the Earl and Countess began a full schedule of royal duties with the Golden Jubilee in 2002 but the couple's artistic interests continue to influence the itineraries of their official, working and personal visits.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Jenee

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Kate

www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2012/09/15/acountess-comes-to-queenston-heights

This photo shows Countess Sophie participating in events of the day.
St. Catharines Standard

[mod]Link wasn't working but it may be that the newspaper is trying to fix it. So I left the link up but added another link to the same paper[/mod]

cinrit

Kate, I get "Server Not Found" when I click on the link you provided.  :(

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Kate

Sorry, Cinrit....  I'll try that link again.... I had noticed that time and ran off to church...

cinrit

Quote from: Kate on September 16, 2012, 12:32:35 PM
www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2012/09/15/acountess-comes-to-queenston-heights

This photo shows Countess Sophie participating in events of the day.
St. Catharines Standard

Link wasn't working but it may be that the newspaper is trying to fix it. So I left the link up but added another link to the same paper

Thanks, Kate and Macrobug.  I followed another link at the link you provided, Macrobug, and I think this is the one Kate was going for:

Royalty in Niagara | Local | News | St. Catharines Standard

Cindy

Kate

Thanks Cindy.. Sometimes I'm lucky and am successful in inserting a link and yet there are other times I'm not.. Much appreciated! :hug:

cinrit

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

Will you get a chance to see them, Macrobug?  (We need a smiley with crossed fingers!)

Cindy

Kate

Thank you all for providing these links.. I'm a bit frustrated that the UK papers did not pick up much regarding this tour, if any, at all! Everyday I went into all the comments section and asked WHY they were not showing the Canadian tour with The Wessexes! The comments were usually with the Kate and Will articles. I don't think they printed one, which is not surprising! However, totally unfair! Sophie and Edward were also working on behalf of the Jubilee year...

Macrobug

Quote from: cinrit on September 17, 2012, 02:57:58 PM
Will you get a chance to see them, Macrobug?  (We need a smiley with crossed fingers!)

Cindy

No.  Busy weekend with the Fall Fair etc....but my cousins saw them at SaintMarie amoung the Hurons.  Two of them work there.

How Prince Edward and Sophie forged deep ties with Canada - Canada - CBC News
GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

^^ Lucky cousins!  Edward and Sophie both look great.  They really should get more media coverage, but maybe they're just as glad they don't.

Cindy

Macrobug

Media coverage can be a bit of a curse and a blessing.  There really wasn't much about their trip.  But then again I don't have TV and I don't buy newspapers.  Just get my news from the internet
GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

There was a note in the article that said this was a working visit, rather than an official visit.  I'm not sure that that would make a difference in the coverage, but maybe it does.  Well, at least we hear about them enough to know they're around and they're doing well. :)

Cindy