Prince & Princess Michael of Kent news and general chat

Started by marine2109, October 05, 2009, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug67

The position of the  Kent?s are a hang over from an outdated view of the Monarchy.   In this day and age a slimmed down Royal Family is the only way they will survived.   A clear distinction between the working Royal Family and the rest of the members is needed.  That way the rest can go out, get jobs and not have the possibility of this happening again. 

The rest can be available for things like Trooping etc.  But no positions like what Andrew was doing.  They can have their own charities etc. but no actual or illusion of power.

wannable

Learned today that he was nicknamed Rent-a-Kent in his earlier days.

Curryong

Well, certainly Marina and her children were left very badly off after Michael?s father George Duke of Kent was killed in WW2. The King and Queen had to help out. I suppose the majority of what was left went to the present Duke after Marina died. And of course we know that Princess Michael tried a couple of money-making ventures.

However, if you hang around with dodgy people as both he and Andrew seem to have done since their service days then you run all sorts of risks. Apparently these journalists tried to trap two or three other royals in this but none of them bit.

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: wannable on May 10, 2021, 12:49:42 PM
Learned today that he was nicknamed Rent-a-Kent in his earlier days.

That was the nickname Charles gave to him and his wife. The *Rent-a-Kents*

wannable

Oh dear! TG Charles will shrink the working royals (and titles too).

Amabel2

Quote from: wannable on May 09, 2021, 01:54:29 PM
Once in a while lets do a Fake Sheikh to see which royal falls in disgrace.

Another one bites the dust. Sophie Wessex, Gary Goldsmith and now a new cloak and dagger faker done to Michael Kent. 

True colours.
Since when was Gary Goldsmith a member of the RF? 

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 10, 2021, 01:29:12 PM
That was the nickname Charles gave to him and his wife. The *Rent-a-Kents*
More probably the Press.  I dont think that Michael has behaved very well but he and Pss M are not well off and have had to earn their living. 

Amabel2

Quote from: wannable on May 10, 2021, 02:19:22 PM
Oh dear! TG Charles will shrink the working royals (and titles too).

Why "Oh dear"?  Its a good idea, adn should cut down on scandals and money being made in dubious ways.   And if some minor royal does act unethically, it will be clear that he or she is not representitng the queen....

Macrobug67

agree.

And it makes it easier for the minor royals to have their own life.

Amabel2

Quote from: Macrobug67 on May 10, 2021, 03:44:31 PM
agree.

And it makes it easier for the minor royals to have their own life.
The Michael Kents have always had their own life, he was in the army.  Then he married MC and left and went into business. She did some writing books, with the queen's permission.. but they were not all that well off.  That doesn't excuse it if he is hanging around with dodgy people.. but he's always been supposed to be independent of the RF....

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on November 22, 2020, 02:51:15 PM
Yes, both she and Prince Michael (bit odd that he hasn't got it as well) are in that vulnerable over seventy age group. However, like Charles, she will receive the very best of care, and might have just mild symptoms apart from feeling tired.
She was so sick for so long, but she seems to have recovered now.  COVID is a very scary disease!

LouisFerdinand

It is a surprise that a chair of Prince George, the Duke of Kent used for the 1937 Coronation would be included in the auction. Would not the chair be considered historic?

PrincessOfPeace

Prince Michael of Kent is returning the Order of Friendship, one of the highest orders in Russia, that he received from former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev in 2009 for his work on Anglo-Russo relations.

More: Prince Michael of Kent Returns Russian Honor Amid Ukraine Invasion | PEOPLE.com

TLLK

Prince Michael was seen at the Albert Hall for a Jubilee concert.

Prince Michael of Kent looks in good spirits at The Queen's Platinum Jubilee concert | Daily Mail Online

QuotePrince Michael of Kent, the Queen's cousin, was in good spirits as he attended the Queen's Platinum Jubilee concert at the Royal Albert Hall tonight.

The 79-year-old smiled as he shook hands with performers ahead of the event in London, which was held by SSAFA, the Armed Forces Charity.

The royal, who opted for a smart navy suit with a red tie for the occasion, met with Sophie Raworth ahead of the concert, and could be seen shaking hands with soprano Laura Wright.

During the concert, the Ukrainian national anthem was played as a sign as support before the stage was covered in blue and yellow lights in a nod to the country's flag.

The appearance from Michael comes weeks after it emerged he had returned the Order of Friendship award he was given by the Kremlin following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 44th Wedding Anniversary to Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

Amabel2

saw some old pics of Pss M lately and i had forgotten how very beautiful she was.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on June 30, 2022, 09:26:52 AM
saw some old pics of Pss M lately and i had forgotten how very beautiful she was.

Yes indeed. I think she was stunning as a young woman. Turquoise eyes a wonderful contrast to her dark hair and light complexion. And she had a petite figure as well. I think years of smoking and subsequent bad health plus an awful marriage made her a rather sad individual in the end, but that doesn?t negate the fact that she was considered a glamorous beauty in her twenties and even thirties.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on July 01, 2022, 09:44:49 AM
Awful marriage?

Sorry, I came to the forum quickly, didn?t look at the thread heading, saw ?Princess M? and thought you were talking about Prss Margaret.

Princess Michael was (and is) quite an elegant woman and a tall and striking one, especially when she was young. She had beautiful hair I think, but facially she always struck me as being somewhat bony and horse-faced. Quite nice eyes though.

And as far as her marriage goes I think both partners have strayed outside it. Wasn?t she caught once decades ago now by a tabloid photographer, wearing a wig and exiting an American boyfriend?s flat early in the morning?

Amabel2

I think pss michael is a lot more striking looking than Margo, who always looked sly. 
I dont know of Pss Michael smoking and I doubt if her marriage was bad, as they seem to be still togethter after 40 odd years.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on July 01, 2022, 11:35:11 AM
I think pss michael is a lot more striking looking than Margo, who always looked sly. 
I dont know of Pss Michael smoking and I doubt if her marriage was bad, as they seem to be still togethter after 40 odd years.

No, I don?t think the M of Kent marriage was awful, certainly not in comparison to the Snowdens. However, I do think they had little adventures outside the bonds of matrimony but have both been compliant with it.

Of course there was a great difference in stature between M-C and Margo. I seem to remember M-C being compared to a Valkyrie (!) by an observer while Margaret was quite small, but I do prefer Margo?s eyes and the contrast with her dark hair. Why do you think Margo appeared sly?

Amabel2

just something about her features and smile and i've never like Margo.  but this thread is about Ps Michael.  I was surprised when you said PM was petite as Marie Christine is said to be about 6 ft tall isn't she.