The Jordanian Royal Family General News and Chat

Started by Blue Clover, July 18, 2020, 03:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

A thread to discuss the news for the Jordanian Royal Family not related to royal duties.

Princess Raiyah of Jordan Marries Roald Dahl?s Grandson?Other Royal Weddings To Expect | Tatler Singapore

Blue Clover

This is shocking news!

"Prince Hamzeh bin Hussein, the eldest son of the late King Hussein and his American-born fourth wife, Queen Noor, was told to remain at his Amman palace amid an investigation into an alleged plot to unseat his older half brother, King Abdullah II, according to a senior Middle Eastern intelligence official briefed on the events."

Jordan's Prince Hamzah: 'No one is able to speak' | Middle East Eye
https://www.washingtonpos...e-1f4cf89fd948_story.html
https://www.bbc.co.uk/new...orld-middle-east-56626370

Two articles from the AP. The first gives a good bit of history/background. The second is the current update.

https://apnews.com/articl...a739f185afdec42ae9b2e5f95

https://apnews.com/articl...73a5ba4ac9eff96d4cc1a1d3c
?This sends chills down the spines of the elite? ? anger at the house arrest of Prince Hamzah has rattled authorities in Jordan | The Independent

Video released by Hamzah
A long-simmering royal family feud is publicly boiling over in Jordan | PBS NewsHour

Curryong

This is one of these situations where you would really need to be there to know the ins and outs. I doubt the Western media knows the half of it. That part of the world has always been extremely complex in its tribal and familial relationships. And the pandemic has left a poverty stricken people even worse of than before if possible.

The British had great influence there once, still do to a certain extent, and Arabist diplomats  at the Foreign Office were able to exercise some influence in King Hussein?s time. I remember him from my childhood, and my goodness Prince Hamzah resembles him so much!

wannable

The military power in Jordan are not with him. For a coup to be successful, it needs the military to side with him, 24 hours. If not, he's doomed. Nor the population is with him, if not, they'd be in the streets, which also didn't happen.

PrincessOfPeace

The Duke of Cambridge and the Crown Prince will have lots to talk about lol.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on April 06, 2021, 06:23:34 AM
This is one of these situations where you would really need to be there to know the ins and outs. I doubt the Western media knows the half of it. That part of the world has always been extremely complex in its tribal and familial relationships. And the pandemic has left a poverty stricken people even worse of than before if possible.

The British had great influence there once, still do to a certain extent, and Arabist diplomats  at the Foreign Office were able to exercise some influence in King Hussein?s time. I remember him from my childhood, and my goodness Prince Hamzah resembles him so much!

@Curryong - Good points especially from the historic and cultural influences that still continue to impact Jordan. Yes Prince Hamzah really resembles his late father. On the other hand, King Abdullah and his sisters tend to favor their mother's family with their features,  face shape along with hair and eye color.

Blue Clover

Quote from: Curryong on April 06, 2021, 06:23:34 AM

@Curryong Yes, tribal politics are complex and not easy for those outside of the local cultural system to understand. The western media barely mentions this level of the conflict.

@wannable The military backed the King and the tribal leaders admire Hamzah. It appears that Prince Hassan brokered peace between the half-brother which included a signed letter agreeing to support the King.
Jordan's Prince Hamzah signs letter agreeing to support the King

@PrincessOfPeace Are they scheduled for a meeting soon? Are they close friends? I remember a visit between them a few years ago when Prince William was in Jordan.

@TLLK Yes, the King and his siblings look like their mother. Hamzah looks like his father, the former King.

PrincessOfPeace

^^^ @Blue Clover

William and the CP keep in touch. They had an official meeting a couple of months ago recorded in the court circular. Queen Rania is also an ambassador for Williams Earth Shot charity.

TLLK

King Abdullah's letter to the people of Jordan.

King sends letter to Jordanian people | Royal Hashemite Court

Here's the section in which he addresses his half brother Prince Hamzah.

QuoteI decided to deal with the matter of Prince Hamzah within the Hashemite family, and I entrusted this to my uncle, His Royal Highness Prince El Hassan bin Talal. And Prince Hamzah pledged before the family to follow in the steps of the ancestors, remain loyal to their mission, and to put Jordan?s interest, Constitution, and laws above all considerations.

Hamzah today is with his family, at his palace, in my care.

As for the other aspects, they are under investigation, in accordance with the law, until it is completed, so that its outcomes are handled within the framework of our steadfast state institutions, in a manner that guarantees justice and transparency.

The next steps will be rooted in the criterion that defines all our decisions?the nation?s interest and the interest of our loyal people.

There is speculation that Prince Hamzah will have to leave Jordan at some point in time.

PrincessOfPeace

Jordans King Abdullah has expressed *shock, pain and anger* over an alleged plot to destabilise the kingdom.

Jordan's King Abdullah describes 'most painful' royal rift - BBC News

TudorQueen

'He is at home with his family,while under my care'. Basically translated he is still very much under house arrest. But his family can be with him.

I venture to guess mention of his family has come from the concern speculated that Hamzah's family was threatened to get him to sign the letter. The king would like to quash those rumors by 'the family is all safe and together, and under my care'.

It stands to be seen what happens with the investigation. I'd not be shocked if Hamzah and his family have to leave Jordan at some point. Perhaps not official exile but a forced voluntary leave for some 'position'. Depends on the outcome of the investigation.

But even if he is cleared of most concerns, Abdullah will continue to be worried as long as his brother remains free in Jordan.

Blue Clover

Quote from: TudorQueen on April 07, 2021, 11:32:42 PM
'He is at home with his family,while under my care'. Basically translated he is still very much under house arrest. But his family can be with him.

I venture to guess mention of his family has come from the concern speculated that Hamzah's family was threatened to get him to sign the letter. The king would like to quash those rumors by 'the family is all safe and together, and under my care'.

It stands to be seen what happens with the investigation. I'd not be shocked if Hamzah and his family have to leave Jordan at some point. Perhaps not official exile but a forced voluntary leave for some 'position'. Depends on the outcome of the investigation.

But even if he is cleared of most concerns, Abdullah will continue to be worried as long as his brother remains free in Jordan.

Tudor Queen,
I thought the same thing, Prince Hamzah is under house arrest to keep watch over him during this time. I do believe that the King will feel uneasy as long as his brother is living in Jordan. This experience must be terrifying for the entire extended family.

PrincessOfPeace

King Abdullah, during a meeting with health sector officials and representatives, stresses the need to enhance the sector's services by instituting oversight mechanisms over performance, and providing continuous training for medical staff.

https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/242365929_4216126798437068_1598418847681908204_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=fc0aJUMwRe4AX-6kI_8&_nc_ht=scontent.fath4-2.fna&oh=757d2c6c926d727d156767f6addd28be&oe=616F6167

PrincessOfPeace

A gift for Queen Rania:

"What delicious pomegranates! My thanks to the Kufrsoum Agricultural Cooperative Association for Pomegranate Producers for sharing the sweet fruits of your labor".

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVcTcxEM-aK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

TLLK

Moderator note-Placing news about Princess Haya who is the daughter of the late King Hussein and Queen Alia of Jordan and the sister of the current King Abdullah II now that her divorce from Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum is final.

Princess Haya: Court orders Dubai ruler to pay ex-wife $728m -- one of the UK's largest ever divorce settlements - CNN

QuoteThe ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum has been ordered to pay his ex-wife Princess Haya bint al-Hussein more than $728 million (?500 million), in one of the largest divorce settlements ever handed down by a UK court.
The figure will be used to cover Princess Haya's security costs for the rest of her life, as well as ongoing costs for the couple's two children -- Al Jalila Bint Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Sheikh Zayed Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum -- with an upfront payment of $333 (?251.5m) due in the next three months.
There is no fixed value on the total settlement, as the court ruled that Sheikh Mohammed should pay the annual security costs for his two children, aged nine and 14, for the rest of their lives or until a further court order is issued.

In his written judgement published Tuesday, Mr Justice Moor found that the biggest threat facing Princess Haya and her children Jalila and Zayed, is from "[Sheikh Mohammed] himself, not from outside sources."

UK high court finds Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed hacked ex-wife's phone using spyware
UK high court finds Dubai's Sheikh Mohammed hacked ex-wife's phone using spyware
The determination was made in reference to the Sheikh's "campaign" of intimidation inflicted on Princess Haya, including "his ability to make use of the Pegasus software, which is only available to governments," to spy on the Princess and her staff, a revelation which surfaced in court documents in October.
Other details about Sheikh Mohammed and Princess Haya's married life were disclosed in the written judgment, including evidence that the princess paid four security staff some ?6.7 million ($8.8 million) in blackmail money to stay silent over an affair she had with one of them.
Details of the affair were heard in court earlier in the case, including allegations from the Princess that she had received a threatening phone call from Sheikh Mohammed about it at the time which left her feeling "terrified."

The divorce settlement marks the final stage in a years-long battle between the estranged couple, during which the UK high court determined that Sheikh Mohammed used his "immense wealth, political power and international influence" in an attempt to bully and silence the 47-year-old princess.

A separate ruling delivered in March 2020 concluded Sheikh Mohammed had previously organized the abduction of two of his daughters and forcibly returned them to Dubai, where he held them against their will.
The Sheikh has repeatedly denied all claims raised in the case.

TLLK

Here's the summary judgement in the divorce case. Interesting that he divorced her via Sharia law without her knowledge in 2019. Her Royal Highness Haya Bint Al Hussein v His Highness Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum [2021] EWFC 94 (19 November 2021)

QuoteOn 7 February 2019, HH divorced HRH by talaq under Sharia law, without HRH's knowledge at the time. This was a final divorce but, on 8 May 2019, it was registered with the Dubai Court, meaning that it is entitled to recognition in this jurisdiction. The breakdown of the relationship was acrimonious. It has been set out in detail in previous judgments of the President. I do not need, therefore, to set it out again, other than to refer to the previous judgments. Some of the findings are, obviously, of significant importance to this judgment and I will refer to those findings in due course. Suffice it to say that, on 15 April 2019, HRH travelled to England with Jalila and Zayed. There is no doubt whatsoever that I can treat this now as a permanent move and proceed on the basis that HRH and the children will be habitually resident in this jurisdiction for the foreseeable future. HH informed HRH on 26 April 2019 that her funding would cease on 29 April 2019 and it did so. On 14 May 2019, HH made an application for the children's return to Dubai but he subsequently withdrew the application and accepted that the children would be remaining here indefinitely with HRH. Indeed, on 17 July 2019, the President made the children Wards of Court, which remains the position to this day.

It also refers to the orchestrated abduction of two of his daughters from his other marriage(s) and why Princess Haya feared for her life and the safety of her children.

QuoteA fact finding hearing took place before the President in November 2019. HH had made it clear that he would not attend and that he would not give evidence to this court, either in writing or orally, arguing that his position prevented him from so doing. The court, however, has decided that his position does not give him immunity in relation to private law matters. Nevertheless, he has not attended at any point, although he has instructed top quality lawyers to represent him. The judgment of the President is dated 11 December 2019. It has been widely reported. A number of very serious findings were made, including that HH had ordered and orchestrated the abduction of two of his elder children, Sheikha Shamsa (born 1981) and Sheikha Latifa (born 1984); had forced them to return to Dubai; and had detained them there since. In the case of Sheikha Shamsa, the abduction took place from this country in August 2000. Turning to this case, the President records HRH's evidence that HH threatened to remove Zayed from her care, such that she would not see him again and that he said that both children "do not need their mother any more". The President found that HH had not been open and honest with the court and that HRH had been placed in a position of great fear. HH had deliberately used his connections with the Press to generate hostile stories aimed at destabilising her and harming her. He had published poems considered by HRH to be threatening, including one entitled "You lived; you died". The President concluded that HH would use his very substantial powers to achieve his aims.

TLLK

Jordan?s royals faced dramatic 2021 with a potential coup, allegations and a royal tour ? Royal Central

Truly one of the more challenging years of the King's reign as he had to deal with the threat to his reign from his own brother.  :(

QuoteThis year has been a dramatic one for the Jordanian Royal Family. Besides the ongoing global health situation, the country faced a potential coup attempt against King Abdullah II. However, there were bright moments as the King and Queen welcomed the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall on a short tour. Let?s take a look at 2021 for the Jordanian royals.

Blue Clover

What an astronomical amount for Haya. I wonder if it will be paid in its entirety?

Jordan faced a difficult time within its own ranks. I hope 2022 is much better.

TLLK

Well this story from 2021 just became a little stranger because the former Crown Prince Hamzah and half-brother to King Abdullah has just renounced his title of Prince.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-60976314

QuotePrince Hamzah bin Hussein, the former heir to the throne of Jordan, has said he is renouncing his title of prince.

Prince Hamzah said his "personal convictions" were not in line with the "modern methods of our institutions".

The prince is the fourth son of the late King Hussein and younger half-brother of the ruling King Abdullah.

He was put under house arrest last year after accusing the country's leaders of corruption, incompetence and harassment.

In March, Jordan published an apology purportedly signed by Hamzah and asking his half-brother, King Abdullah for forgiveness.

In a statement posted to twitter on Sunday, Hamzah said: "Following what I have witnessed in recent years, I have come to the conclusion that my personal convictions which my father instilled in me, and which I tried hard in my life to adhere to, are not in line with the approaches, trends and modern methods of our institutions.

"From the matter of honesty to God and conscience, I see nothing but to transcend and abandon the title of prince. I had the great honour of serving my beloved country and my dear people over the years of my life.

"I will remain as I have always been and as long as I live, loyal to our beloved Jordan."

Blue Clover

PrincessOfPeace

King Abdullah will travel to Germany tomorrow to "undergo surgery to treat a slipped disc" it was announced today:

King departs for Germany tomorrow to undergo surgery to treat slipped disc | Royal Hashemite Court

TLLK

Queen Rania has gone to Mecca with a group of women from Jordan to perform Umrah.

Queen Rania?s 1st batch of umrah mission to depart Tuesday | Jordan Times

AMMAN ? The first batch of Her Majesty Queen Rania?s mission to perform umrah (the lesser Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca) in Ramadan is scheduled to head to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday.

A total of 550 women were chosen to participate from across the Kingdom, representing families of security personnel who died in the line of duty, military retirees, social activists and beneficiaries of charity and cooperative associations, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.

The first and second batch of the mission will depart on Tuesday and Wednesday from Amman, Irbid, Mafraq, Tafileh, Maan and Aqaba, while the third and fourth batches will depart in the middle of the month from Karak, Madaba, Jerash, Zarqa and Ajloun.

Her Majesty is expected to join one of the batches.   

TLLK

Updates on the future of King Abdullah's half-brother the former Prince Hamzah who is now under house arrest. (Click on the link to red the English translation of the King's letter to the people of Jordan.)

Royal Decree approves recommendation of council formed under Royal Family Law to restrict communications, place of residence, and movements of Prince

QuoteA Royal Decree was issued, approving the recommendation of the council formed in accordance with the Royal Family Law, to restrict the communications, place of residence, and movement of Prince Hamzah.

The council had provided the recommendation since December 23 last year.

His Majesty King Abdullah sent a letter to Jordanians. Following is the full English translation:

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-arrests-jordan-abdullah-ii-33731039a36f5b97716e00313387c1ea

TLLK

Queen Rania's father has passed away. His funeral will take place tomorrow.

QuoteThe Royal Hashemite Court mourns the passing of the father of Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, and the grandfather of Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Al Hussein bin Abdullah II, Prince Hashem bin Abdullah II, Princess Iman bint Abdullah II, and Princess Salma bint Abdullah II, Faisal Sidqi Al Yassin, may his soul rest in peace, who passed away on Friday, 27 May 2022.
By His Majesty King Abdullah?s orders, the Royal Hashemite Court has announced seven days of mourning, as of Friday."