Global Political News and Elections Thread

Started by wannable, December 12, 2019, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Good news for the conservatives, the monarchists. Boris Johnson landslide win.

Corbyn apocalypse! Ashen-faced John McDonnell concedes DEFEAT as Labour plummets to its worst EVER general election result with the party set to win just 191 seats

Jeremy Corbyn is on course to lead Labour to its worst ever set of general election results as an ashen-faced John McDonnell said the exit poll numbers were 'extremely disappointing'

Serves them right! They should have carried out the peoples vote with Brexit, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Curryong

No electoral results in just yet, but yes this is the 'Brexit election' and the people have delivered their verdict, according to the exit poll put up by the TV media the Tories are going to have an emphatic victory. The other winners are the Scottish National Party. I expect Corbyn to resign now. An unpopular leader (as was Boris) but Labour shouldn't have offered another referendum! Boris likely to go for a hard Brexit.

Blue Clover

Wow! This is a big day for England!  :partaay:

Curryong

Yes, it's a big day for Scotland too, though they didn't get quite the number of seats predicted in that opinion poll. (They will be demanding another independence referendum in the wake of this, though they're not likely to get it. Labour got about a dozen more seats than predicted, but still a disastrous result. (As I'm typing this there are nine seats left to be declared.) And Corbyn is to resign, eventually. 

wannable

The Tories have gained 80 seats, to a total of 364, with this majority they can pass Brexit (and any other law, issues that were stagnant, new ones too).

The Labour party lost 60 seats, which caused JC to resign as their leader (he resigned this morning BST). Some of the seats they lost were labour strongholds for more than 70 years.  That is quite remarkable.

Curryong

UK election results: Pound and stocks surge as Tories form government ? latest news | Financial Times

A few articles from an hour ago. Nicola Sturgeon (leader of the Scottish Nats) is very very anxious for Scotland to join the EU. However the EU isn't eager to return the compliment, judging by remarks made by their leaders following the independence referendum last time!

TLLK

@Curryong-Is it typical to see a change in leadership within the parties after most defeats or are they typically limited to the big losses? I am aware that after the Scottish independence failure that there was a change of leadership for SNP and post Brexit voting that David Cameron stepped down as the Tory leader.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 13, 2019, 02:16:51 PM
@Curryong-Is it typical to see a change in leadership within the parties after most defeats or are they typically limited to the big losses? I am aware that after the Scottish independence failure that there was a change of leadership for SNP and post Brexit voting that David Cameron stepped down as the Tory leader.
Generally leaders who have lost an election especialy if it has been really disastrous, step down and make way for a more successful leader...

wannable

The Times
‏Verified account
@thetimes

The twentysomethings about to enter the Commons will make Westminster ?the gayest parliament in the world?, Grant Tucker and Rosamund Urwin report.
Meet Boris?s Babies ? they?re young, fun and working class | News | The Sunday Times

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

Bit of a squabble has broken out in Labour Party ranks following the election defeat, as certain Membes position themselves for a leadership spill.

Corbyn is supposedly resigning in January. Most political leaders resign within 24 hours after a drubbing like that of Dec 12th, but Corbyn seems strangely reluctant to depart. Momentum, the very far left group in Parliamentary Labour ranks, apparently begged him to stay on for a while and the vain old codger succumbed to their arguments.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/civil-war-erupts-within-labour-as-possible-leadership-contender-threatens-to-sue-20191216-p53kkg.html

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on December 20, 2019, 02:04:39 AM
Bit of a squabble has broken out in Labour Party ranks following the election defeat, as certain Membes position themselves for a leadership spill.

Corbyn is supposedly resigning in January. Most political leaders resign within 24 hours after a drubbing like that of Dec 12th, but Corbyn seems strangely reluctant to depart. Momentum, the very far left group in Parliamentary Labour ranks, apparently begged him to stay on for a while and the vain old codger succumbed to their arguments.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/civil-war-erupts-within-labour-as-possible-leadership-contender-threatens-to-sue-20191216-p53kkg.html
are you really surprised that Corbyn does not want to go?? Im not. 

PrincessOfPeace

MPs vote by 358 to 234 to back Boris Johnson?s Brexit bill to leave EU on 31 January

- BBC

Curryong

The race is on to replace Corbyn. All the candidates are below. My money is on Keir Starmer, but we shall see. The Left of the Party is in some disarray.

The runners and riders in the race to replace Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader | Business Insider

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

PrincessOfPeace

I agree on Keir Starmer. He seems to be the only one living in reality plus he?s a moderate by Labour standards. They need more centre ground. Corbyn?s far left view for Britain has been emphatically rejected.

TLLK

@Curryong or @PrincessOfPeace -What is a "shadow cabinet?" I noticed that many of the proposed replacements are mentioned as members of the shadow cabinet.

PrincessOfPeace

A shadow cabinet are members of the parliamentary opposition assigned to shadow cabinet ministers in government. Shadow meaning to hold that particular member of government to account.

So the shadow Home Secretary is assigned to hold the cabinet secretary to account and be responsible for that brief.

TLLK

@PrincessOfPeace -Thank you for the explanation because I have a limited knowledge of a parliamentarian form of government.  :)

Curryong

A Shadow Cabinet is appointed by the Opposition Leader in the House of Commons to occupy the equivalent of Government ministerial positions. Each Minister appointed by the Prime Minister (Foreign, Education, Transport etc) has its equivalent in the Opposition ranks. A Parliamentary Opposition has to be ready at all times to challenge Govt decisions in all sectors and take over Government if necessary.

TLLK

Thank you @Curryong. I truly appreciate the information to better understand how other  forms of government work.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 06, 2020, 07:33:32 PM
Thank you @Curryong. I truly appreciate the information to better understand how other  forms of government work.
its different in the US, wehre a new President brings in his own staff.... ? That's how your Govt works..

wannable

The pictures and scenes look like a Happy New Year  :D

Got Brexit done! The UK finally leaves the EU as Britons across the country celebrate | Daily Mail Online

The Dawn of the New Era. 

TLLK

And so a new era begins. I wonder if we'll see other nations choosing to leave the European Union in the future?

wannable

Brexit related

Au revoir! Two Royal Navy ships send French fishermen scurrying back home after one of them RAMS a British boat - but Boris says gunboats will remain off Jersey as bitter row over fishing rights escalates

Tense situation between the UK and France.  This happening before the G7, yikes.