Global Political News and Elections Thread

Started by wannable, December 12, 2019, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Curryong, IMO as I stated previously, any 2 parties that have almost equal results 49/51 isn't good in ''politics''. Nothing to very little gets done. Period, facts, stats. A party with a superior winning, period, facts, stats DOES have the majority here there everywhere which translates to getting things done when a vote comes to any new fed or state decision.

and JUST IN CASE, I dont work for any famous magazine in the USA or elsewhere. I just copy pasted this info weeks ago.

Quote from: wannable on November 08, 2022, 06:56:13 PM

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

^ For more graphics of surveys.

I guess we have to wait for results, but it seems red is the colour.

wannable

Now if you want me to analyse the graphic, the large number called TOSS UP 34% is IMO the GenZ voters.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on November 13, 2022, 02:46:19 PM
Curryong, IMO as I stated previously, any 2 parties that have almost equal results 49/51 isn't good in ''politics''. Nothing to very little gets done. Period, facts, stats. A party with a superior winning, period, facts, stats DOES have the majority here there everywhere which translates to getting things done when a vote comes to any new fed or state decision.

and JUST IN CASE, I dont work for any famous magazine in the USA or elsewhere. I just copy pasted this info weeks ago.

Australia had minority governments for years earlier this century. Certainly it was difficult but the governing Party Ministers and officials NEGOTiATED with the minor parties to get vital bills through. Yes, Australia has a Parliamentary system but in any democratic system of government political Parties have to recognise realities and learn to get along. In other words, NEGOTIATE about the passage of legislation. I realise this will be a great shock to Republicans and their supporters but that?s how governments all over the world manage to govern.

Curryong

Australia has had lots of minority State Govts in the past. They have managed to get legislation passed without much trouble. The Gillard Federal Govt ruled with the help of Independents.

Hung parliaments and minority governments ? Parliament of Australia

Curryong

As the Republicans inch towards a small majority in the House (vale Red Wave) I see Trump has made his expected call that he will be running in 2024. Just what the world needs right now! And what a delightful prospect it will be to see DeSantis and he duking it out in the run up to the Presidential Election. Moderate Republicans (if there are any remaining) must be ecstatic!

iview

wannable

As I said nothing or turtle pace 🐢 will happen in the Senate and House.

If only Biden hadn't multiple times fall asleep or be suddenly forgetful, lost, misremembering....I mean many many Democratic US voters are scared about that and of the zero control or upper hand he doesn't show to Nancy. I mean the woman is a Alpha female to his Beta male so to speak with the wokers.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on November 18, 2022, 02:45:57 PM
As I said nothing or turtle pace 🐢 will happen in the Senate and House.

If only Biden hadn't multiple times fall asleep or be suddenly forgetful, lost, misremembering....I mean many many Democratic US voters are scared about that and of the zero control or upper hand he doesn't show to Nancy. I mean the woman is a Alpha female to his Beta male so to speak with the wokers.

Well, the news has come through that Nancy will not be Minority Leader in the House. She?s decided to ?give way to a new generation of Democrats?. Or more likely has decided that hubby needs some TLC.  At 82 retirement is more than overdue, I?d say! If our Senate here, or indeed our PM and Cabinet, was of the age of some Senators in the US, Australians would be laughing and saying ?What the?!?

I posted here at the time of the last US Presidential election that I thought the choice for voters (Trump vs Biden) was abysmal. And the cognitive deterioration seen in Biden during his Presidency has done nothing to change my mind. On the other hand the prospect of DeSantis or another term of Trump as President doesn?t exactly fill me with joy and gladness either.

Probably the best thing Democrats leaders can do is either hope that Biden decides not to run in 2024, or that they lean on him with pleasant suggestions of retirement with Jilly, lol. Then change VPs from the mess that is Ms Harris, the job is clearly beyond her, and start with a completely new team. Who? Well, probably Buttergeig or similar and a new up and coming VP plucked from somewhere new, hopefully from the progressive wing of the Party but I?m not holding my breath!

No potential FDRs or even JFKs in the wings being considered it seems, to face up to the dreadful pair on the GOP side. The saying is that a country always ends up with the government it deserves. What does that say about the divided entity that is the US at the moment? Unfortunately, IMO nothing that could be considered optimistic..

wannable

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on November 18, 2022, 10:50:31 PM
I like that, new generation

Yeah, probably a new generation of about 65, judging by some serving in Congress!

wannable

^That's okay, but the Trump then Biden disasters have created ''new'' FIRSTS in the political history for the USA

The first (openly) lesbian governor
The first Gen Z member of Congress (age 25)
The first LGBT and immigrant member of Congress
The first states led by two women, at least two states elected women to the positions of governor and lieutenant governor (Massachusetts, Arkansas)
The first South Asian woman lieutenant governor (mixed race India-American)
The first transgender man elected to a state legislature

^That's a lot of firsts, good luck to them.

Curryong

It is a lot of firsts but possibly, even probably, the people you mentioned would have fought for and gained their positions anyway as they were able and forthright persons, who appealed to the voters. And why should it be political disasters that have provided the impetus.

And I cannot see Trump, or significant sections of the GOP, enthusiastically backing candidates who are/were LGBT, especially not transgender individuals. It was fear that such rights as they had would be whittled away that drove many young female and gay Gen Zs to the polling booths. Nor, considering Trump?s anti-migrant rhetoric for many years, he and those who follow him, keenly welcoming any say South American migrant to any office.

Curryong

As I said in a recent post Jacinda Ardern and the Labor Party have become unpopular with voters for about the last 18 months. Jacinda has to call an election by mid January 2023 and Labor is about five points behind the Nationals at the moment. She?s actually been fading in polls since last year so she may be on the out.

Jacinda Ardern dealt major blow as National support surges ahead of New Zealand election | World | News | Express.co.uk

TLLK

PM Sunak and EU President Von der Leyen come to an agreement on Brexit and Northern Ireland.

NI Brexit deal: Sunak and Von der Leyen to announce new trade agreement - BBC News

QuoteHere's a quick recap of what Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Ursula von der Leyen said at their press conference just now.

Sunak hailed a ?decisive breakthrough? with the EU regarding a future trade arrangements for Northern Ireland.

Von der Leyen described the Windsor Framework, as it is called, as ?historic? and said it allowed both sides to begin a ?new chapter?.

Sunak said the deal achieved three things:

The removal of ?any sense of border in the Irish sea?. He pledged a smoother and less bureaucratic flow of goods from the rest of the UK into Northern Ireland ? using a system of green lanes and red lanes
    The enhanced availability of British products in Northern Ireland - including medicines. Sunak said a ?landmark settlement? meant drugs approved by the UK regulator would be made available in Northern Ireland as well
    It also "safeguards sovereignty for Northern Ireland". Sunak said the NI Assembly would be able to stop EU goods laws applying in Northern Ireland - by using a ?Stormont brake?. Von der Leyen stressed this was an emergency mechanism, and said the European Court of Justice would continue to have the final say on single market issues

The prime minister described the proposals as a ?turning point? for Northern Ireland that would end uncertainty.

But he acknowledged that political parties would want to consider the proposals in detail. He said the UK Parliament would ?have a vote at the appropriate time and that vote will be respected?.

Curryong

I suppose this thread is correct? I don?t know, as it isn?t about elections or PMs, but about a possible Accord in NI and Ireland re the border, transport of goods, etc. People have become a bit hot under the collar in Britain about Charles meeting the EU representative about it, but the actual agreement reached appears hopeful, which is good, as the border question has become quite difficult since Britain began its proceedings to withdraw from the EU.

Quite a long but very interesting article about it.

Northern Ireland protocol deal: New Windsor Framework is ?workable and durable?, Taoiseach says ? The Irish Times

?The new agreement between the European Union and British government on the Northern Protocol has provided solutions that are ?agreeable, workable and durable,? Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said.

Mr Varadkar said that the solution was a ?uniquely favourable? arrangement for Northern Ireland as it would allow for free movement of goods between it and Britain. He also said the Windsor Framework would not water down the Protocol.

However, he accepted that the EU was willing to make more concessions because of the challenges facing Europe, particularly the energy crisis.

He said Brexit was a concept on paper before it became operational.

After it happened, there was more understanding of how Brexit and the Protocol had affected trade movement in reality.?

wannable

Jill Biden
@FLOTUS

Cheers!

Thank you, Rishi and Akshata for welcoming me to your Coronation Big Lunch as we mark this special moment in history.