Random Chat & Articles on Nepal's Deposed Monarch

Started by Jenee, May 13, 2008, 03:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

Xinhuanet

QuoteNone of the 25 newly elected political parties to the Constituent Assembly (CA) have expressed support to giving continuity to monarchy, local newspaper The Rising Nepal reported on Monday.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Windsor

Monarchy in Nepal will never actually end, it has its roots deep inside the daily spiritual lives of ordinary Nepali people.

Jenee

We'll find out soon enough!!

BBC ~  Deadline looms for Nepal's king

QuoteThe first meeting of Nepal's constituent assembly is to be held on 28 May, the government says.

According to the interim constitution, the assembly must abolish the monarchy on the first day it meets.

Gaeaskywalker

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblognl_news_summary/2008/05/last-hours-in-o.html

QuoteHe now has 15 days to quit the 1970s-era palace and move to his palatial private residence in the city _ or face the possibility of being removed by force.

Amaliaite #1 cheese-ite #0025

Stix Chix

yikes!  :blink:  i wonder if this means Gurkhas will no longer be able to work alongside British troops?  Maoists rebels/terrorists would target Nepali's and their families if they knew they were training to become Gurkhas.

do you think all this would have happened if the last king and most of his heirs hadn't been murdered by the crown prince a few years ago?

Harryite #0004

Jenee

Jayne

Well if the public could no longer benefit from the establishment of this institution, perhaps it was a wise decision to end it. I really wouldn't know, since I donot live in such a society but I agree with Windsor. Governemnt can dinimish the monarchy but it will def. take a couple of generations to completely get rid of the traditions and influences of this family.

Orchid

King Gyanendra Told To Quit Palace! ~ Daily Express

QuoteThe world's last Hindu kingdom became its newest secular republic as Nepal's MPs, led by former Communist rebels, abolished the monarchy that had reigned over the Himalayan land for 239 years.

"We have entered a new era today," said prime minister Girija Prasad Koirala, calling Nepal's rebirth as a republic "the dream of the whole nation".

More Links:

Reuters: Royal Flag Lowered As Nepal Celebrates It's Republic

Christian Today: Royal Flag Lowered As Nepal Celebrates

Royal Blog: King Gyanendra To Get Eviction Note

Royal Blog: Protests Against Ex King Gyanendra

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Lila the Flirt

Quote from: Stix Chix on May 29, 2008, 12:54:54 AM
do you think all this would have happened if the last king and most of his heirs hadn't been murdered by the crown prince a few years ago?

No, I don't think so. I gathered the murdered king was much-loved

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Orchid

BBC News: Nepal Palace 'Turned Into Museum'

QuoteNepal's former Maoist rebels have declared the ancestral home of the former royal family to be a museum.

Maoist leader Prachanda made the announcement on a visit to the palace in the town of Gorkha, west of the capital Kathmandu, on Sunday.

Prachanda hung a sign on the building during his Sunday visit declaring "Federal Republic of Nepal", according to state television.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Orchid

Royal Blog: Gyanendra looking for right time to move

QuoteNepal's deposed monarch is consulting astrologers to decide the most auspicious time to leave Katmandu's main royal palace, newspapers reported Saturday.
-Winston Churchil

Orchid

BBC News: Nepal Ex-King 'To Go Gracefully'

QuoteNepal's former king, Gyanendra, has agreed to vacate his palace within the next fortnight and live as a commoner, the home minister has said.

Times Online: Deposed King Gyanendra is 'Eager To Live A Normal Life'

QuoteKathmandu The deposed King Gyanendra of Nepal is eager to live as a common citizen, the Government said yesterday, after its first meeting with him since the monarchy was abolished last week.

While political parties squabbled over the key posts in the world's newest republic, the former King appeared reconciled to the end of his family's 239-year-old royal dynasty.

"I found him eager to live like a common citizen," Krishna Prasad Sitaula, the Home Minister, told reporters after a 30-minute meeting, adding that he was expected to leave the palace within two weeks.

-Winston Churchil

Jenee

Monsters & Critics: King Gyanendra graceful vacate

QuoteAn injured Nepalese protestor is being taken to the hospital during a republic day clash outside the Naryanhiti royal palace in Kathmandu, Nepal, 29 May 2008.

Windsor

Quote from: Windsor on May 13, 2008, 04:12:39 AM
Monarchy in Nepal will never actually end, it has its roots deep inside the daily spiritual lives of ordinary Nepali people.

First set of serious problems for the new republic. BBC News: Nepal's 'living goddess' in limbo

Jenee

^Interesting article Winnie, thanks :flower:

Life after the Throne

Jenee

Nepal's ex-queen mother to stay in palace, crown goes missing

QuoteWhile Nepal's dethroned king Gyanendra has just 72 hours to vacate the royal palace, former queen mother Ratna Shah will stay on. She has wrested permission from the government despite growing public anger against the privileges of the erstwhile royal family.

Gyanendra's 80-year-old stepmother, once the most powerful woman in the kingdom and a resident of the Narayanhiti Royal Palace through the reign of four kings in succession, will not have to quit her quarters inside the sprawling palace, Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala's government said.

Jenee

Jenee

Jenee

BBC:  Ousted Nepal prince leaves nation

QuoteThe former Crown Prince of Nepal, Paras Shah, has left the country for the first time in more than two years on a flight to Singapore.

There has been speculation that the controversial former heir to the now abolished throne is moving to the island city permanently.

Jenee

Dethroned Nepal king faces fresh eviction

QuoteKathmandu, July 14 (IANS) Just over a month after his eviction from the royal Narayanhity palace, Nepal’s dethroned king Gyanendra now faces fresh ouster. The 61-year-old, who spent a grim birthday seven days ago in the remote Nagarjuna summer palace, refusing to come out even to receive greetings from diehard royalists, will be asked to vacate his current residence as well, probably within a fortnight.

You really have to feel bad for the guy - I mean, what's he supposed to do with himself?

But in other news... Monarchy in Nepal will be reinstated: Kamal Thapa

QuoteStartling comments from the horse’s mouth, “Any decision taken during the interim Stature is nothing but an interim decision”.

“The state of Monarchy in Nepal will continue to be debated among the public, alike politicos unless and until a fully functioning constitution replaces the Interim Constitution pledging that the Monarchy has gone once and for all”, said Kamal Thapa, the president of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party-Nepal.

drezzle

http://tinyurl.com/5mmesf

Nepal royal massacre: 'Eyewitness' claims Dipendra innocent

I always thought Dipendra didn't look like the killer type and the story was too strange.

So if the story about Paras and the look-alike Dipendra is Not true, what would be the purpose?  At any rate it is reported that Paras is now estranged from his father who refused to abdicate in favor of his grandson, Paras's son.

"Lamteri, a junior army staff deputed at the Narayanhiti Palace during the period, claimed that Paras, son of ousted King Gyanendra and cousin brother of Dipendra, came to the palace dinner party that night accompanied by a person wearing a Dipendra look-alike mask."
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Jenee

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one interested in what is happening in Nepal!  :goodpost:

Independent - Maoists refuse to take power in Nepal

The world's newest republic has been thrown into fresh political turmoil after Nepal's Maoists announced they would not form the country's next government.

drezzle

The way they are going, they may have some king back again.  Maybe they should try for the 3rd brother instead?   I always thought this was a fascinating story -- but it never seemed to generate a lot of interest for whatever reason.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Jenee

Jenee