Queen's 90th Celebrations

Started by LouisFerdinand, November 25, 2015, 01:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

What to buy the Queen for Christmas? Chutney, says Duchess - Telegraph

(Continuation of the Duchess' interview for the Queen at Ninety documentary.)

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: snokitty on March 31, 2016, 12:43:27 AM
Queen approves children?s book in celebration of her 90th birthday | Royal | News | Daily Express

QuoteWritten by Davide Cali, a Swiss-born Italian children's author whose work has appeared in 25 countries, The Birthday Crown is a tale about the Queen's efforts to find the ideal headgear to mark her big day.

It is to be published on April 12 by the Royal Collection Trust, the department of the household that oversees the opening to the public of several royal residences and of raising funds to conserve the monarchy's palaces and treasures.

The Birthday Crown seems like it will be a fun-filled book. I especially like the illustration provided. Fabulous artwork!!

Jennifer

QuoteQueen Elizabeth II's 90th Birthday: Three Engagements, Work As Usual For British Royal

Queen Elizabeth II will celebrate her milestone 90th birthday on April 21. But, it will be work as usual for the British royal who will undertake two engagements in Windsor with her husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. She will unveil a plaque marking The Queen's Walkway at the foot of Castle Hill.

The 89-year-old British monarch will then meet locals and well-wishers during a walkabout in the town. The walkway is a 6.3 kilometer (nearly 4 miles) walking trail which connects 63 points of significance in Windsor. It was designed by The Outdoor Trust to symbolically recognize the moment Elizabeth became Britain's longest reigning monarch after more than 63 years on the throne on Sept. 9, 2015.

Read more:
Queen Elizabeth II?s 90th Birthday: Three Engagements, Work As Usual For British Royal
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

myidea

Defamation
Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.
Defamation may be a criminal or civil charge. It encompasses both written statements, known as libel, and spoken statements, called slander.

Jennifer

QuoteQueen's 90th birthday: Her Majesty greets thousands of well-wishers lining streets of Windsor to celebrate historic milestone

1:40PM
Video: David Cameron and Jeremy Corbyn pay tribute to Queen

1:35PM
Best pictures of the royal walkabout from The Telegraph's photogapher

As the Queen returns to Windsor Castle to continue her 90th birthday celebrations with her family, here are the best pictures of the day so far from The Telegraph's photographer Eddie Mulholland.

Read more:
Queen's 90th birthday: Her Majesty greets thousands of well-wishers lining streets of Windsor to celebrate historic milestone
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Squirrel

Well from the other countries I've lived in, yes there were celebrations for monarchs but just nothing of this kind, maybe like a parade and some waving but that was it.

Though in a report today about the 90th Birthday celebration last night I heard something quite interesting. The commentator said, 'no other 90th Birthday has ever received a bigger celebration than the Queen's'. I guess that might be right and I think it's part of their point isn't it? They're intentionally trying to sell the British monarchy, not just to the Brits and the Commonwealth but also beyond that, as the biggest and grandest and most important of them all, hence they obviously need the biggest party....
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

TryingTimes

The celebrations do provide a positive approach to uniting the people together, and most of them are family-friendly activities.

About the scale of these celebrations - Britain is known for its ability to "get it right" - from Openings of Parliament to entertaining foreign royalty. The British people should be proud of its grand reputation to "throw a good party", so to speak.

Perhaps if people focused more on the opportunity to be proud of their own culture and of their culture's reputation of grand hospitality, and stop comparing themselves to other nations, they might find more contentment. And focus on the monarch as being their representative, and not focus on her as if she were an individual celebrity. Unfortunately, this is what has changed in people's minds since the Diana years.

Yes, many people worldwide highly respect the Queen of Great Britain and Ireland (and Australia, and Canada, etc.). That is a positive thing. But one must also be aware that she also represents the nation(s) as a whole, and these occasions to come together in a celebratory way should be a time to be proud of one's own strongpoints as a nation. 

After all, where else can we find such a grand wholesome spectacle such as the horse show, or boat galas at Diamond Jubilees, or the magnificent pomp and circumstances at official events such as Parliament openings or coronations? It's better than Disney World! And it gains worldwide attention (in a positive way)!
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value." --Thomas Paine

Jennifer

QuoteQueen tweets thank you for birthday wishes

The Queen has tweeted a message to thank people who took the time to send her 90th birthday messages on social media.

Writing on the Royal Family's official account, @royalfamily, the Queen wrote:  "I am most grateful for the many digital messages of goodwill I have received and would like to thank you all for your kindness."

The 90-year-old monarch signed off the message with "Elizabeth R".

Read more:
Queen tweets thank you for birthday wishes – Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: June 22, 2016, 02:59:30 PM

QuoteQueen Elizabeth Tweet acceptance speech

Queen Elizabeth has personally thank Tuesday on Twitter posted in which they people thanks for the many good wishes they got via social media around her 90th birthday.

"I am very grateful for the many digital hearty congratulations I received. I would like to thank you all for your kindness. Elizabeth r. ", tweeted the British Queen via the official account of the Royal family. This was followed by another picture of the Duchess at a desk with the laptop that they sent the tweet. It is not the first time that the Queen, her twitterdebuut she made in 2014 tweeted during an opening of an exposition.

Read more translated:
www.vorsten.nl/2016/06/21/koningin-elizabeth-twittert-dankwoord/ - Translator