How Prince Andrew Feared Dying in the Falklands

Started by cinrit, August 25, 2014, 10:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Duke of York has spoken about his fear of dying in the Falklands after he was shot at by Argentine forces.  Prince Andrew said there were a 'couple of times' he feared not coming back home after carrying out dangerous missions while serving as a helicopter pilot.
He joined the Royal Navy in 1979 and served for 22 years, including the Falklands War in 1982.

Speaking to American television channel CNBC ahead of a charity initiative to help young entrepreneurs, he said he had been 'very lucky' to survive the conflict and admitted he had been 'foolish' to think he was 'invincible'.

He added: 'If you've been through those sorts of experiences you understand the frailty of life. And it's not particularly nice being shot at and I can attest to that.

More: How I feared dying in the Falklands, by Andrew: Prince reveals moment he was shot at as he flew helicopters during the conflict | Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

PrincessOfPeace

My dad was at Goose Green, mum was so proud. It was Britain last great war and Prince Andrew was a hero. Its sad to see him have such a fall from grace in the eyes of the certain segments of the press.

DaFluffs

I wonder why all the publicity on Andrew lately?

Is his PR people trying to increase his visibility?

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duke of York has this week revealed in an interview how he feared he would not come home from the Falklands after being shot at whilst serving in the Royal Navy.

The 54-year-old Duke told the US television channel CNBC that he had been "foolish" to think he was once "invincible".

Prince Andrew served in the Royal Navy for 22 years and in that time whilst serving in the Falklands, he said he had a "couple" of moments of doubt, while on dangerous mission to identify a ship at night.

The Queen's son believes that he had been "very lucky" to survive the conflict adding "it's not particularly nice to be shot at and I can attest to that."
More: ?It?s not particularly nice being shot at? ? Prince Andrew reveals experiences of Falklands War

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 25, 2014, 12:10:11 PM
My dad was at Goose Green, mum was so proud. It was Britain last great war and Prince Andrew was a hero. Its sad to see him have such a fall from grace in the eyes of the certain segments of the press.
I know that I'm going off topic but what is Goose Green and was this part of the Falklands campaign? Which branch of the military was your father involved in?

TLLK

As I recall weren't the helicopters being used as decoys to deflect oncoming Argentine missiles during the Falklands war?  :eyes:

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: TLLK on August 25, 2014, 02:40:28 PM
Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 25, 2014, 12:10:11 PM
I know that I'm going off topic but what is Goose Green and was this part of the Falklands campaign? Which branch of the military was your father involved in?

Goose Green was a battle on East Falkland during the war. My dad served with the Royal Marines and was attached to the Parachute Regiment for his deployment to the South Atlantic.

TLLK

:hug:Glad for your family that he made it home.I'm always glad to see Andrew representing that generation of veterans at Remembrance Day etc.. I'm likely close in age to your parents, so news coverage of the Falklands (not just Andrew) did make it to the U.S. and it was as I recall closely followed.