Prince Philip will honor thanksgiving service at Westminster Abbey

Started by sara8150, December 23, 2021, 09:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightowl

Looking forward to this service, I have always liked Prince Philip, even when he opens his mouth and many unusual things come out of it.....his sense of humor was so out there.  He is missed I am sure by HM, family, friends and all the royals fans from around the world. RIP Prince Philip, never to be forgotten.

Blue Clover

Quote from: Nightowl on December 24, 2021, 08:27:49 AM
Looking forward to this service, I have always liked Prince Philip, even when he opens his mouth and many unusual things come out of it.....his sense of humor was so out there.  He is missed I am sure by HM, family, friends and all the royals fans from around the world. RIP Prince Philip, never to be forgotten.

Nightowl, I feel the same. Losing Prince Philip has been hard for HM, the United Kingdom who have been used to seeing him around for so long, and his many fans around the world.

PrincessOfPeace

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden will attend the thanksgiving service for the life of the Duke of Edinburgh at Westminster Abbey on 29 March.

Probably the first of many announcements involving the attendance of foreign royals.

TLLK

I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the DoE's peers who have known him for decades, though many of them have already predeceased him.

I do expect that we'll see German royals who are related to the DoE in attendance though.

PrincessOfPeace

The Duke of Sussex will not return to the UK for a Service of Thanksgiving for the life of the Duke of Edinburgh on 29th March.

- Via ITV

TLLK

To be honest,  I  was not expecting him to be present.  There has not been a resolution to the demand for Met Police protection,  so it was unlikely that he would consider returning IMO.

wannable

That's a tall order and he seems to not have accepted his dad's offer to stay with him and Camilla.

Anyway, I am happy the drama (king) won't come.

(ETA: The crazy thing is when in Texas, he was surrounded by strangers - like the rodeo lovers all have guns, who are allowed to carry weapons, someone out of it and bang)

TLLK

I'm hoping that we'll have an updated list of which members of reigning and non-reigning houses will be present at the memorial service.

Confirmed as of 3/12/22: Sweden-TM King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia.

PrincessOfPeace

Danish, German and Greek royals are a given. He was a Prince of Greece and Denmark.

TLLK

Agreed and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Romanians there too considering that the late King Michael and Prince Phillip were first cousins of roughly the same age. Certainly expect a delegation from his German relatives too as two were present at his funeral last year.

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

I'm not surprised to see that Princess Beatrix is joining her son and daughter-in-law as I believe that she does have a close relationship with Queen Elizabeth.   Prince Phillip and Prince Claus were part of the trio of male consorts which included Prince Henrik to Queens Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe. None of these men were natives to the land that they adopted with marriage and at times all struggled with the demands of their roles and experienced varying levels of popularity throughout their lifetimes. 

PrincessOfPeace

King Felipe and Queen Letizia, Queen Margrethe and Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and Prince Radu, will also be attending.

TLLK

I am so pleased to see that these representatives are going to be present at his memorial service. Phillip was related to many of the royals who will be present and he'd had a long history with the current monarchs or their parents and even grandparents over the decades.

PrincessOfPeace

The King and Queen of Belgium will be in attendance.

The BBC will air the Service of Thanksgiving for Prince Philip live.

BBC One - The Duke of Edinburgh: A Service of Thanksgiving

wannable

European monarchs including Letizia and Felipe of Spain confirm they will fly in for Prince Philip's memorial service - but Queen's attendance is 'in the balance'

^ IF HM can't attend, the POW/DOC and the DDOC will do a great job in behalf.

TLLK

I believe that this likely to the largest gathering of reigning monarchs in recent  years. 

Curryong

Yes, it will be a shame if the Queen can?t be there, but Prince Philip and the Queen?s kinship to most of the Scandi and European monarchs will guarantee a high turnout, and of course there was also friendship with others like Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. It may well be the bigggest royal get together since the Golden Jubilee.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

Buckingham Palace has announced details for a Service of Thanksgiving for the Duke of Edinburgh next Tuesday:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOnFwhJWQAY_lO7?format=jpg&name=medium

PrincessOfPeace