All memorials to Diana including the fountain, playground, and statue discussio

Started by Curryong, January 28, 2017, 10:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

No. I don't believe that she'll be wearing a tiara or any formal wear. IMO it will be a more casual look.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on June 12, 2019, 04:09:23 AM
No. I don't believe that she'll be wearing a tiara or any formal wear. IMO it will be a more casual look.
probably.  I don't think its a good idea, but I'd say a more informal look is better than a stiffly royal look.  I would have preferred a good painting but somehow most paintings of Diana don't seem to capture her very well

Princess Cassandra

I think it will convey the Princess communicating with the very young, the very old, or the very sick. She was so sincerely warm and loved them. One of her old bosses said that as a teenager she would volunteer to visit nursing homes. 

Curryong

With regard to the KP statue I hope we get to see something in the next twelve months, and that it will be exquisite!

Today is the 22nd anniversary of Diana's death. God bless the Princess of Wales!

amabel

I thought it was supposed to be opened or displayed now at her anniversary?

sandy

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on August 31, 2019, 05:05:05 PM
I thought it was supposed to be opened or displayed now at her anniversary?
I believe that it will be unveiled in 2019 as William stated on his mother's birthday that it would happen "very soon." If it were to be next year, he'd likely refered to a time in the further future.

sandy

I doubt it is imminent. If it were there would be many articles picking up on William's "very soon." I doubt it is very soon.

TLLK

@sandy-Again we'll have to agree to disagree. :friends:

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2019, 10:03:41 PM

However according to this Hello magazine article, the unveiling is to take place in 2019.

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02017121140783/princess-diana-statue-sculptor-revealed

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2019, 10:05:47 PM

Quoterinces William and Harry have selected a sculptor to create a statue of their late mother Princess Diana. The royal brothers have chosen renowned artist Ian Rank-Broadley for the piece, known for his portrait of the Queen on British coins. The artwork is expected to be unveiled in 2019 within the grounds of Kensington Palace to mark the 20 year anniversary of Diana's tragic death.

I'm guessing that the date just has not been announced yet. I doubt that the brothers would have selected August 31 to unveil the statue and will choose a date that works for all that wish to attend ie: Sarah, Jane, Charles, perhaps some of Diana's charity representatives etc...

sandy

Supposedly something is holding it up. This article is from 2017 and the key phrase is "expected to be."

TLLK

I disagree @sandy as the projected date noted in the two separate articles that I shared (Hello/Harpers Bazaar) for the unveiling is 2019 and there are still four months remaining in 2019. So I believe that "expected to be" means that at this point in time that the statue will be unveiled before the end of the year. :happy:
I'm sure that many Diana fans will be pleased to see it and were happy to hear William's comment in July that the statue should be unveiled "very soon."

Princes William and Harry announce sculptor for new Diana statue - Reuters

QuoteIt had been hoped that the statue would be unveiled before the end of the year to mark the anniversary, but Kensington Palace said that it was now envisaged that the statue would be unveiled in 2019.

It would appear that the brothers have been in contact with the sculptor and felt confident enough to release the statement regarding the 2019 unveiling.

sandy

THere were reports of delays in the statue this year (2019). I would not hold to 2019. If it were there would be more anticipatory articles. There certainly were for that Fountain, updates were frequently given and not just some throwaway line to a few people by PRince William. William did not make a public statement, he was talking to a group of people who talked to him about his mother. If he wants to avoid confusion then he and Harry should speak up and make a public statement to the media and that would be that. I would not plan a trip to the UK to see it based on Will's vague comment. If I wanted to see the dedication I would wait for a formal announcement.

TLLK

@sandy- I found this one but 2019 still seems reasonable IMHO. r. Would you mind sharing some of the other reports of the statue delay? I would really enjoy reading them. : :) Thank you.

https://www.iol.co.za/entertainment/royals/princess-diana-statue-delayed-as-william-and-harry-try-to-get-it-right-24502224

amabel

Nothing much on TV about Diana yesterday. I Looked and I think there was only 1 programme...

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2019, 09:10:28 AM

Quote from: TLLK on August 31, 2019, 11:53:08 PM
I disagree @sandy as the projected date noted in the two separate articles that I shared (Hello/Harpers Bazaar) for the unveiling is 2019 and there are still four months remaining in 2019. So I believe that "expected to be" means that at this point in time that the statue will be unveiled before the end of the year. :happy:
I'm sure that many Diana fans will be pleased to see it and were happy to hear William's comment in July that the statue should be unveiled "very soon."

Princes William and Harry announce sculptor for new Diana statue - Reuters

It would appear that the brothers have been in contact with the sculptor and felt confident enough to release the statement regarding the 2019 unveiling.
YOu  would think though that they would aim at  a summer time opening?  And now summer's pretty much ovr and there seems to be no sign of its happening..

sandy

TLLK

@sandy-Thank you.

QuoteYOu  would think though that they would aim at  a summer time opening?  And now summer's pretty much ovr and there seems to be no sign of its happening..

@amabel-Yes I do believe that the brothers and Diana's siblings would have wanted an unveiling around her birthday, but with the requested modifications made by the brothers I don't believe that the sculptor could have delivered in that time.  Also Archie's christening was taking place close to Diana's birthday, so that might have had a possible impact on that as a date. So I believe that the event has been scheduled (but not publicly released yet) that will be in 2019 and that works for the various calendars for William, Harry, Sarah, Jane and Charles Spencer. :happy:

Have to say that I believe that Diana would have been alternately flattered and amused by the statue. More than likely I'd believe that she'd have a good giggle over it but would be pleased that her sons and siblings took the steps to make it happen.

sandy

Royals do tend to retreat from duties at this time of year with the holidays coming. I know people in the UK and they talk about the bad weather.

Double post auto-merged: December 10, 2019, 04:51:52 PM

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on June 25, 2019, 04:57:52 AM
I think it will convey the Princess communicating with the very young, the very old, or the very sick. She was so sincerely warm and loved them. One of her old bosses said that as a teenager she would volunteer to visit nursing homes. 

I think a statue of her in less formal clothing  would be great, maybe one in an outfit she wore to visit a hospital. Or it could go the other way, where she is in formal outfit. Let's see.

TLLK

I have a feeling it will be in casual day wear (dress/skirt/blouse) but not slacks. Somehow I don't see it being in gala wear with orders and a tiara. I don't believe that is the way that the brothers want their mother to be remembered.

wannable

So basically the complaint is 1. William and Harry are delaying it, translate that to the sculpture maker did a bad job, so they said, delayed we need to get it right. 2. public complaint is because the last update was July 2019, Diana's birthday anniversary vigil at KP gates.

@TLLK if the sculpture, as William pointed out to one of Diana's fan, the garden at KP, I believe and agree with you, a day time event.  They'd need floodlights if it were an evening do.

sandy

Maybe keeping this thread activated could inspire something. I think it should be dedicated on Diana's birthday.

TLLK

This memorial to the late Diana, Princess of Wales is sometimes overlooked IMO, but it's well loved and enjoyed by many.

Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground named one of England?s best play spaces ? Royal Central :xmas21:

QuoteIt?s a whimsical area of Kensington Gardens where pirate ships and imagination reign, and now the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground has been ranked as one of the country?s best playgrounds.

The playground, which is visited by more than one million people a year, is a favourite of children visiting London and was honoured for the ?quality and variety of play opportunities? at the first-ever Play Value Awards.

The awards ceremony was held at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Play Safety Conference 2019, held in Birmingham and attended by play safety experts and practitioners from across the United Kingdom. The Queen serves as patron of RoSPA, a role she?s held since her accession to the throne.

With its centrepiece of an enormous wooden pirate ship inspired by Peter Pan, the playground features a beach, sensory trail, tepees, and a variety of tactile objects for children to enjoy. The playground is free to enter and is managed by The Royal Parks.

sandy

It seems the media are not even mentioning the statue anymore. Supposedly the statue was going to be a fitting tribute. Were Will and Harry not given permission or were they told to put it on hold?

amabel

Quote from: sandy on December 17, 2019, 01:53:40 PM
It seems the media are not even mentioning the statue anymore. Supposedly the statue was going to be a fitting tribute. Were Will and Harry not given permission or were they told to put it on hold?
Probably its not finished..

wannable

The sculpture maker did the job, W and H didn't like it, hence delayed and W said 'we must get it right'.  Back to the board, more money expenditure because the finished job was rejected.

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on December 17, 2019, 01:53:40 PM
I doubt that anyone else was involved since they did the fundraising themselves. IMO there can be more than one "fitting tribute" to the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

The statue could already be finished, but they have not yet found a date in which the brothers, their families, the Spencers and others can be available.  :shrug:

In the meantime, there are other memorials to her which are being recognized. :nod: