The Coronation

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 17, 2022, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug67

I doubt it will be used.  Apparently it is horrible to ride in.  The late Queen declared it a dreadful ride to her coronation.  I think KC will use the glass coach, if he uses one at all.  I see him more likely using one of cars. 

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on September 22, 2022, 02:25:13 AM
Yes, it was lovely. I can see myself now looking through it as a child, in Grandma?s bedroom. When she died I was only a teenager. Her house was lived in by other relatives at the time and my uncle got it. I was in Australia then when he died. He had no children and I don?t know what happened to it after that. Shame!
Especially if you were the grandchild most interested in the history of it.

LouisFerdinand

Queen Elizabeth II had six coronation maids. Will Queen Camilla have coronation maids?

Princess Cassandra

You can add that to a list of things unknown at this stage. The economy is not good, and we know that the King has been taking steps to slim things down; at the very least we can expect a less grand coronation than in the past.  By the way, I read that Phillip tried very hard to make the 1953 coronation more streamlined and modern, but the Queen Mother and influential court figures thwarted him at every step. About the only thing he got his way on was having it televised. It always amazes me at how Prince Phillip was a man so way ahead of his time!

Nightowl

I like you have liked Prince Philip, I think he had a great sense of humor and could really read the public and then say something to make people gasp and the reporters go nuts with headlines......I got many of a huge laugh from him that I will miss very much.

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 25, 2022, 12:01:44 AM
You can add that to a list of things unknown at this stage. The economy is not good, and we know that the King has been taking steps to slim things down; at the very least we can expect a less grand coronation than in the past.  By the way, I read that Phillip tried very hard to make the 1953 coronation more streamlined and modern, but the Queen Mother and influential court figures thwarted him at every step. About the only thing he got his way on was having it televised. It always amazes me at how Prince Phillip was a man so way ahead of his time!

The only reason I can think of as to why their might be attendants for the processions is that if the King and Queen are garbed in the long robes, there  is a need to have assistance with yards/meters of trailing heavy fabric with the use of attendants.  Now I am inclined to believe that Camilla might not be physically capable at this point in her life with a long trailing robe, so that aspect might be adapted to suit her physical comfort.

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 25, 2022, 12:01:44 AM

I also think the ceremony and procession outside will be very foreshortened for Charles in comparison to the Coronation of 1953. For one thing there was an Empire then and a fully active House of Lords.

Philip was indeed a man before his time in many ways, and some of the Queen?s senior courtiers and advisers had been with her father and grandfather.

However a couple of things to remember about that Coronation. Britain had only fairly recently gone through an exhausting and depleting Second World War. The Government were anxious to reinforce British prestige and remind other countries that they were among the victors and had been there unconquered, uninvaded, from beginning to end, from 1939 to 1945.

Another thing was that 1953 was still partly Austerity Britain. There were still bomb sites around (I can remember them) and rationing of all sorts of things had only just finished. Government and the Queen?s advisers felt that people needed a respite, a spot of colour and sparkle on a grey road back to prosperity. And in 1953 they got that. There are sometimes other things to consider besides economy and expense. 

sara8150

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 24, 2022, 11:46:27 PM
Queen Elizabeth II had six coronation maids. Will Queen Camilla have coronation maids?

We have wait and see till coronation Camilla will chosen maids but late Queen Elizabeth II had six maids yes i don?t know who Camilla?s maids will be till reveal be guarded secret

wannable

I honestly think King Charles coronation with Camilla, Queen consort will be pared down to William and Kate by their side.

Watching coronation videos available from George VI, Queen Elizabeth, from street travel, to procession, to standing by the side of the K and Q, this year or next year it will IMO be slimmed down, especially because Kwasi has just deliverd a brilliant economical package for the United Kingdom.

The Firm will be careful OR OR OR HM Government will make a big spending party to bring in billions.  (it doesn't sound right to mention so early after HMQEII death, but the Queen's 12 day death Operation Unicorn, London Bridge brought in 1 Billion GBP; especially the Media, seconded by Hospitality Industry...one has to remember that behind each industry there are hundreds of thousands of 'employees' that bring the bacon to their families)

Curryong

The Order of Service for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Form and Order for the Coronation of King George VI AND his Consort Elizabeth in 1937.

https://manawatuheritage.pncc.govt.nz/item/65b1849f-e9c3-4261-969f-3ea496ced1b5

Curryong

The Coronation cannot be slimmed down too much because a great deal of it consists of a religious form, such as anointing etc which is not only centuries old but vital.. The Sovereign doesn?t have people standing next to him/her other than the Archbishops and other clergy for much of the time. The Prince of Wales pays homage followed by the Royal Dukes and then other Peers in order of seniority, but otherwise does not play a formal role in the Coronation.

LouisFerdinand

I had seen a picture on Pinterest showing Queen Victoria's Maids of Honor. The description declared: Queen Alexandra decided she didn't want the competition & had pages instead.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 25, 2022, 10:07:09 PM
I had seen a picture on Pinterest showing Queen Victoria's Maids of Honor. The description declared: Queen Alexandra decided she didn't want the competition & had pages instead.

Queen Victoria had been a girl in her late teens at her Coronation, with all the youth and freshness that implies. Queen Alexandra was a Consort and a woman in her late 60s. She had been acknowledged as a great beauty earlier in her life, but I think it was natural for her not to want Peer?s daughters a quarter her age processing behind her, especially in an age of photography.

Curryong

Whoops that should have been a woman of nearly 60 (in 1902) referring to Queen Alexandra. My maths skills are never at their best in the mornings!

PrincessOfPeace

The Coronation of His Majesty The King will take place on Saturday 6 May 2023 at Westminster Abbey.

The Ceremony will see His Majesty King Charles III crowned alongside The Queen Consort.

sara8150

Calls for May 1 bank holiday to be moved to match King Charles III coronation day | Daily Mail Online

EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE: BBC, ITV and Sky could call Palace's bluff over coronation copyright | Daily Mail Online

King Charles's coronation will be colossal, says ROBERT HARDMAN  | Daily Mail Online

King Charles III coronation date confirmed - will it be a bank holiday? | Daily Mail Online

Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson relax with friends in Venice in the 1950s in unseen images | Daily Mail Online

Plans for Camilla to be crowned with coronet containing 105-carat Koh-i-Noor diamond may be axed | Daily Mail Online
nobody Camilla will wores this Queen Victoria?s and Queen Mother?s crowned for reasons i understand explain in this articles due respective for late Queen Victoria and Queen Mother wores at coronation its belong and claim who wores

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle attending King's coronation 'remains to be seen' | Daily Mail Online

PROFESSOR ROBERT TOMBS : If the Koh-i-Noor diamond symbolises anything, it's that history is complex | Daily Mail Online
Not back to Queen Victoria and Queen Mother?s crowned respective

King Charles' Coronation Will Be Held on Grandson Archie's Birthday

King Charles' Coronation Date Announced by Buckingham Palace as May 6

Queen Camilla Will Be Crowned During King Charles' Coronation in May

Prince William Is Immersing Himself in New Role with Duchy of Cornwall

Why King Charles chose Prince Harry's son Archie's birthday as his coronation date | HELLO!

King Charles III's coronation date revealed ? details | HELLO!
May 6,2023 day of Archie?s birthday

The unique and NEW detail about King Charles III's coronation ? revealed | HELLO!
Like past to present of King and Queen crowned include late Queen Elizabeth II,King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II?s grandparents

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63172425

King's coronation will take place on 6 May - and Queen Consort will be crowned alongside Charles III | UK News | Sky News

What will King Charles's coronation involve - and will there be a bank holiday? | UK News | Sky News

King Charles III?s coronation to take place on 6 May 2023 | King Charles III | The Guardian

King Charles? coronation to break with a recent royal tradition - ?First in 70 years!? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

King Charles? coronation to reflect ?longstanding traditions? with ?willingness and joy? | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

King Charles? coronation date sees MPs call for bank holiday move to make 'special memory' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
We have wait have approved from authorities for bank holidays on coronation

Why King Charles III will be crowned in May - instead of June as tipped | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Buckingham Palace says move to May 6 unlike late Queen Elizabeth II?s crowned in June 1953

Meghan Markle and Harry fans furious as Charles coronation to fall on Archie's birthday | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Harry and Meghan will not embarrassed on King Charles?s crowned

King Charles's Coronation date announced and Queen Camilla will be crowned at same time | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

King Charles III coronation to be bathed in sunshine for springtime national celebration | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Camilla to be crowned Queen Consort alongside Charles in ceremony | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

King Charles III Coronation to take place on same day as Archie's birthday | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-10-11/king-charles-iiis-coronation-to-take-place-in-may-2023

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-10-11/king-charles-iii-coronation-ceremony-what-will-happen-stage-by-stage

Brits WON'T get extra bank holiday under King Charles's slimmed down coronation plan - Mirror Online

Buckingham Palace announces date for King Charles' 'slimmed down' 2023 coronation - Mirror Online

King Charles' coronation date could be issue for Harry and Meghan due to Archie clash - Mirror Online

Will we get a bank holiday for King Charles' coronation? Date of coronation confirmed - Mirror Online

Buckingham Palace announces date for King Charles' 'slimmed down' 2023 coronation - Mirror Online

King Charles' coronation date revealed by Palace - with Camilla to be crowned as Queen by his side | The Sun

Brits 'highly unlikely' to get Bank Holiday for King Charles' coronation | The Sun

King Charles' coronation date is a very special date for another royal | The Sun

King Charles III?s Coronation date revealed ? Royal Central

Blue Clover

Sara8150, Thanks for the links!  :flower:

Curryong

Good that we now know the date. Virtually all the media were predicting June, and various others, including me!! thought a summer Coronation was on the cards. I admit to being surprised it?s early May. Spring can be lovely in England but early May can be just a bit unpredictable weather wise. I hope it doesn?t rain on the day! Unusual that it?s on a Saturday as well, but economically it makes sense.

If, as has been stated, it will be a cutdown ceremony of a little over an hour with much of the pomp and circumstance gone I think a lot of people will decide to stay at home and watch it on TV. London will be packed of course but some overseas tourists might think better of coming in early May rather than taking a summer holiday in Britain.

Incidentally, the Coronation falls on the Jewish Sabbath. Might be a problem for HM?s Jewish subjects.

Charles faces coronation headache as thousands not able to attend as it falls on Sabbath | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Thank you Sara for all the links!

TLLK

:crown:  I'm so pleased to know that there's finally a confirmed date for the Coronation of KCIII. It was no small feat to coordinate the calendars of the monarchy, the British Government, the Church of England and a myriad of other entities.

I expected that the timetable for the Coronation Service would be shortened in part due to the age of the primary participants KCIII and the QC. The actual coverage for the day though will likely be a few hours for the procession to WA and the return to BP. I also expect that the dress code for the Coronation will be more contemporary than it was in 1953. While I expect that the men will be in uniform, morning or lounge suits, I am very curious to see what the royal ladies will be wearing. It's possible that their dress code might be similar to the one for The Netherlands with long dresses/hats for the ladies.

I have faith that the Coronation for KCIII will be full of the pageantry and tradition associated with British Royal events as we just saw with the funeral for the late QEII but the timetable will be shorter than at her Coronation.

Curryong

King Charles 'would like' Camilla to wear controversial diamond for coronation - claim | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Well, if Charles insists on Camilla having this particular crown at the Coronation complete with the Koh-i-Noor then he can expect protests from the Commonwealth about it, and it probably won?t include just India.   

Nightowl

Good grief, the lacking of intelligence of the human race all over  a darn diamond as if that diamond will change the entire world or the circumstances of anyone involved.  Those shouting in protest have nothing better to do with their lives over a diamond they will never own let alone wear.....don't they have better things, more important issues to deal with like hunger, medical or a roof over their heads.  Maybe some just like their names in the news to make them feel important and more important ....the PM of India needs to take care of his country and the poor people in it before he makes waves of a diamond.

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on October 14, 2022, 12:05:28 AM
Good grief, the lacking of intelligence of the human race all over  a darn diamond as if that diamond will change the entire world or the circumstances of anyone involved.  Those shouting in protest have nothing better to do with their lives over a diamond they will never own let alone wear.....don't they have better things, more important issues to deal with like hunger, medical or a roof over their heads.  Maybe some just like their names in the news to make them feel important and more important ....the PM of India needs to take care of his country and the poor people in it before he makes waves of a diamond.

The problem is however that India and the UK are in the middle of a massively important trade deal at the moment. The UK is in perilous waters economically and the authorities won?t want any controversy. Camilla could in theory wear the crown with the Koh-i-Noor removed and another stone substituted.

Blue Clover

I am looking forward to May 2023. The Coronation is right around the corner, lots of planning to do before then.