Do they speak English well? Caroline, Stepanie, and Prince Albert II

Started by Yale, July 21, 2011, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yale

I also wonder if they speak American since their Mom was born and raised in the US? I also wonder just how well they speak it and if their children speak English too?

I have never heard any of them use English so I am curious.

cinrit

I've heard Albert speak.  He speaks perfect English ... you'd think he was born and raised in the  U.S.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

amabel

Quote from: cinrit on July 21, 2011, 05:59:54 PM
I've heard Albert speak.  He speaks perfect English ... you'd think he was born and raised in the  U.S.

Cindy
since his motehr was American and he did IIRC go to college in the US I'd imagine that he would speak perfect English....

Windsor

Most of them speak excellent English, in fact most European royals speak excellent English, only a handful speak it with some sort of strong accent.

Yale

Quote from: Windsor on July 21, 2011, 06:22:13 PM
Most of them speak excellent English, in fact most European royals speak excellent English, only a handful speak it with some sort of strong accent.

Yes, Windsor but these three are not like most Europeans, their mother was an American Woman, born and raised.  So, my interest is in whether all three of her kids speak American English perfectly. I am also wondering if Caroline and Stephanie have taught their own kids English, their Mom's version that is, and I wonder how well they can speak it.

KitCat

I have seen a tv-documentary about the Grimaldis where they showed the late Princess Grace talking with Princess Caroline in English. According to this documentary they were raised bilingual and Prince Albert still prefers English over French especially in situations which are stressful for him.

Windsor

Youtube Video - here we see Prince Rainier III speaking perfect British English, as well as Princess Caroline

Princess Stephanie in English very poor quality video, you can just about pick up what she says.

Yale

Prince Rainer, I would only assume he spoke British English that is a given but Albert II speaks American English. Now, what about his sisters? I am sure their dialect is heavily influenced by their mother too.

Lothwen

^I believe several years ago Princess Stephanie hosted the World Music Awards (or was a host, or something) and I remember her speaking perfect English then.

As to speaking "American" English, I really have no idea, but since Grace was their mother they would have been exposed to her speaking that way, so maybe they do?  Although would Grace have had to learn French as the wife of the Monarch?
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

KitCat

Yes Princess Grace had to learn French. She was struggling at the beginning of their marriage but according to several sources she was fluent by 1963. I have heart her speak French in an interview and she spoke perfect French without an accent. Now if she learnt the dialect spoken in Monaco too still remains unanswered.

Yale

I just read that Princess Grace always spoke  English, American style to her children and their father spoke French to them as did others in the palace.

Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie speak American English 100% and Princess Caroline does as will but her has a little British twist in it.

Paris

QuoteI believe several years ago Princess Stephanie hosted the World Music Awards (or was a host, or something) and I remember her speaking perfect English then.
Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHEktu8zyE&feature=related
Yes, she speaks perfect English