Birthdays, anniversaries and other milestones for the Wessex family

Started by sara8150, June 19, 2019, 03:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on June 19, 2019, 06:06:56 AM
Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones's royal wedding: All the photos | HELLO!

Loved these photo's! Princess Eugenie was adorable and Princess Anne looked fabulous!  The one of Sophie with her veil sort of draped around her head is so farmable and paintable - I hope it has a place of honor in their home. And finally, the one of the three princes on their way to church shows that it was a very happy and relaxed wedding! 

TLLK

A look back at the life of the Earl of Wessex so far ? Royal Central

QuotePrince Edward Antony Richard Louis is the third son and youngest child of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. He was born on 10 March 1964 at Buckingham Palace and was christened two months later at Windsor Castle.

LouisFerdinand

Happy, Joyous Birthday to James, Viscount Severn! He is thirteen.   

:xmas10: :xmas10: :bdaycake: :xmas12: :xmas12:

TLLK

:bdaycake: :happyuk: :bday5:

Happy birthday to HM's and the DoE's youngest grandchild Viscount Sevren.

Ten facts about James, Viscount Severn ? Royal Central

QuoteAs he is a child of a monarch?s son, he is entitled to the style of His Royal Highness Prince James of Wessex. However, at Prince Edward and Sophie?s wedding in 1999, Buckingham Palace announced that their children would be styled as the children of an earl and thus would have no titles. Sophie, Countess of Wessex, said in 2020 that James retained the right to his royal title and will choose whether or not to use it when he turns 18.

Now I had suspected that the Wessex children always were going to have the option of using their royal titles much like their Wales and York cousins but it's good to hear it confirmed.

If the current Letters Patent continues into Charles' reign, would the Sussexes who currently do not use Prince Harry's secondary title of Earl of Dumbarton for their son opt to allow him to use his HRH Prince style/title as a minor? Or would they follow the Wessexes' example and allow Archie to choose to use it once he becomes 18 years of age?

Curryong

A very happy birthday to James, the young Viscount Severn!  :xmas22:

I really can't see either of the Wessex children opting to use their HRHs at eighteen. Louise at least will probably be at university at that time and will want to blend in with her friends. Whether she will decide to use it in later life I really can't say, though unless she goes into something akin to PR like her mother, what good would it be?

Btw, what Sophie stated in that interview was opposite to what was told to a longterm poster on another forum who received an official letter in reply to her enquiry about the Wessex children's titles from BP. In that letter she was told that no such honorific (HRHs)had been offered to the Wessex children and that the statement issued at the time of the Wessex marriage still stood. Perhaps everyone has had a rethink since, but it's a bit odd.

Also, God knows how far down the line of succession James and Louise will be by the time they are both working adults. James is in line for the Edinburgh dukedom eventually and that title may not be used in his professional life either about forty years ahead.

As for Archie, I would guess he will continue to grow up in the US, attend school and probably eventually work there, all being well. Doubt Charles will make him an HRH with the family living permanently in the US. Same thing will apply to his titles, though he may use the Sussex title socially as an elderly adult if he settles in Britain or Europe, who knows. I can see Harry and Meghan leaving the Viscountcy thing until he's 18 though, just to give him the option.

Amabel2

Once Charles is King, Archie as a grandson in the male line will automatically have the HRH...
re James and Louise, it seems rather odd that Sophie made the remark that they could choose to be Prince/Princess at 18...  I think its down to the queen as I've said being very conservative. I think that in 1999 she had to scale down things with Edward.. so that he had a smaller wedding than other princes and it was announced that his children would just have the titles for the children of an earl...I think that over time, perhaps the queen has hoped that since the monarchy has been restored to a greater popularity than was the case in the late 90s, its no longer necesssary for them to be stuck wiht these lesser titles.. and  they could quietly just announce when James is 18 that he's now HRH Prince James (assuming J likes the idea)...

TLLK

@Curryong and @Amabel2 - I agree that it would be unusual for both of the Wessex children to begin using their style/title of HRH Princess/Prince considering that they've always been known as Lady or Viscount. No doubt they've had it explained to them the circumstances that led to the use of their current titles and are being strongly encouraged to keep the status quo when they become 18.  Eventually James will inherit Edward's current and future titles of Earl of Wessex and ultimately Duke of Edinburgh so I  believe that this might be enough for him.

As to the letter that the TRF poster received, it's not the first time we've read about conflicting information coming from BP or a BRF member regarding styles/titles.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on December 18, 2020, 02:01:54 PM
@Curryong and @Amabel2 - I agree that it would be unusual for both of the Wessex children to begin using their style/title of HRH Princess/Prince considering that they've always been known as Lady or Viscount. No doubt they've had it explained to them the circumstances that led to the use of their current titles and are being strongly encouraged to keep the status quo when they become 18.  Eventually James will inherit Edward's current and future titles of Earl of Wessex and ultimately Duke of Edinburgh so I  believe that this might be enough for him.

As to the letter that the TRF poster received, it's not the first time we've read about conflicting information coming from BP or a BRF member regarding styles/titles.
I doubt if James will want to be Prince James... it would only be of use to him if he wanted to be a full time royal and that is highly unlikely to happen... so it seems odd that Sophie would make mention of this issue and say that they could use HRH when they are 18.  As if she wants them to be able to claim the titles of Prince and Princess at some stage.  At the time it originally happened in 1999, it was unusual but there was no implication that they could be Prince/ess at a later date....
So I think that the queen certainly didn't like the fact that her youngest son's children had to make do with Lady and Viscount.. and perhaps over time its been discussed within the family and they have decided that if J and Louise really WANT to be known as HRH Prince/ess they can do so and the public probably wont mind.  My feeling is that it will look odd if James or Lou DO say they want to use their titles...
And perhaps Sophie and Ed also felt it wasn't fair on their children that they didn't ahve the usual titles

Curryong

Quite frankly, re the matter of titles for the Wessexes, I do believe that while Ed's Earldom was a nod to the times and to the slough of despond the RF was in at that time, neither the Queen nor Prince Philip thought that either/both of them would remain living until they were 100 years old or as near to it as you can get. They expected I think, that within twenty years, Edward would be the Duke of Edinburgh and at least carrying on some engagements to do with the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, even if the couple were going to continue in the business world.

Just remember that, while the QM lived to a great age, the late King didn't, and the same occurred with Prince Philip's parents. I think both the Queen and Duke believed that both of them would pass over in their eighties.

And when King Charles doled out his late father's title to his youngest brother, it would have then have been completely logical for Louise and James to become HRHs and Prince and Princess at the same time. However, attitudes towards rank and royalty within Britain in the 2020s have changed so much that it's extremely unlikely that either of these youngsters will opt to be HRHs/Prince/Princess at eighteen even if both grandparents die within the next year or two.

In terms of prestige in the 1990s there was a large gap between a Duke and an Earl, but in 1999 everyone felt that 'for now' it would have to do. It was only really when William and then Harry received their Dukedoms from 2011 onwards that the gap became obvious in terms of senior royals. One son languishes with a lower title while grandsons got the higher.

It sounds horrible, but to me that was the main reason the Queen gave Edward his second (Scottish) Earldom a couple of years ago. To eventually receive the Edinburgh title was a wonderful sentiment and compliment to Edward at the time and some compensation for getting an Earldom. However, Edward might well be 60 before it happens.

Amabel2

It is confusing.  According to BP a few years ago, it was not a case that Louise and james "were" prince/ss and could claim the HRH at the age of 18...  Perhaps you're right that the queen thought Edward would be Duke of Edinbrugh and then his kids coudl become Prince and Princess of Edinburgh...  I dont think either of them will want the HRH, when they reach 18 so I wonder why Sophie talked about it.. I dont know if she was asked about it.. but even so she could have made some anodyne answer....

TLLK

:bday7:

Sophie is celebrating her 56th birthday today.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1351803520312373249 Royal Family Twitter

Quote🎈
🎂
Wishing The Countess of Wessex a very happy birthday today!

PrincessOfPeace

During an emotional video call with NHS nurses, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, confirmed that her father, Christopher Rhys-Jones, 89, had received his Covid-19 vaccination.

Sophie Wessex Reveals Very Special Birthday Gift As She Thanks Frontline Nurses - YouTube

TLLK

Fantastic news for the Rhys-Jones/Wessex family. Does Christopher live with Sophie or with her brother now?

LouisFerdinand

Happy Birthday to Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex! 

:bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake:

TLLK

wannable

When the Earl and Countess of Wessex's daughter, Lady Louise Windsor, turns 18 in November, she will be legally entitled to style herself Her Royal Highness Princess Louise, in the same way as her cousins are known as HRH Princess Beatrice and HRH Princess Eugenie.

Amabel2

I hope not.  It was a good move for Edward to agree to his children having no HRH.. its rather silly IMO to decide now that they can be HRH when they reach 18.

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

:bday7:  Happy 18th Birthday to Lady Louise Windsor.

If you're not familiar with Louise's harrowing birth story, then you might find the following article to be informative. Thanks to the first responders and the NHS, both mother and daughter survived a very dangerous birth.

Looking back at the birth of Lady Louise: a medical emergency with a happy ending ? Royal Central

QuoteThough today Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor celebrates her 18th birthday, on the day of her birth in 2003, there was a medical emergency surrounding the event.

The Countess of Wessex was not expecting to give birth until early December when she began to experience cramps at Bagshot Park, her residence in Surrey.

She called for help and was transferred by ambulance to Frimley Park Hospital nearby, where she gave birth to a baby girl via emergency caesarean section due to a placental abruption that caused severe blood loss to Sophie and the baby.

The press secretary for Edward and Sophie announced the news of Lady Louise?s birth: ?Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex was safely delivered of a baby girl by emergency caesarean section at 11.32 pm on Saturday 8 November, at the Frimley Park NHS Hospital in Surrey. The weight of the baby was 4lbs 9oz.

?Her Royal Highness and her daughter are both stable. As a purely precautionary measure, the baby was taken to the regional neonatal unit at St George?s Hospital, Tooting.?

Edward, who had been away on an official visit to Mauritius during Lady Louise?s birth, promptly returned home and divided his time visiting his newborn in London and Sophie in Surrey.

Lady Louise?whose name was not announced to the public until 27 November?stayed at St. George?s Hospital, Tooting for a week, returning to Frimley Park Hospital on 14 November.

Lady Louise is the seventh grandchild of HM QEII and the late DoE and there's a 26 year age difference between Louise and her eldest paternal cousin Peter Phillips. Louise has a less public upbringing than her other cousins. Her most public roles to date have been as a bridesmaid for William/Catherine 2011 and Eugenie/Jack 2018. She is currently studying for her A level exams and plans to attend university.

Louise like her late paternal grandfather, shares a love of carriage driving. The DoE left his carriage and horses to Louise after his death in April 2021.

More about Lady Louise. Lady Louise, the discreet upbringing of The Queen?s youngest granddaughter ? Royal Central

Lady Louise and her special bond with her beloved grandfather Prince Philip ? Royal Central

wannable

Mirror Royal
@MirrorRoyal

Lady Louise Windsor faces huge royal title choice as she marks 18th birthday

As there is no future role as a working royal, Lady Louise will someday have to support herself financially.
While a title can open some doors in the business world, it also comes with higher ethical concerns & public scrutiny.
And many royals have struggled with this.
Gerts Royal

LouisFerdinand

Happy, Joyous Birthday to Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor!   
:happyuk: :bdaycake: :happyuk: