The Divorce Settlement

Started by LouisFerdinand, December 28, 2016, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Actually, the appeal of Mrs Simpson for Edward was that she was not as smitten with him as he was with her. He liked her to order him around and make snide comments. This made him even more besotted.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Well as far as the Nazi sympathizing goes, he was by far not the only one in the RF...I think he was another example of the weakness in the Windsor gene pool that Charles shows as well, had he been more sure of himself, maybe hed have made Camilla his "wallace" in the 70s, but I see much of great uncle David in Charles. Its expressed differently, but I believe Charles is as dependent on Camilla.

But he had great promise as with his warmth with ordinary people, but England wasnt ready for that yet, combined with his weakness with women sealed his fate. It would be interesting to dig into his pre wallace relationships to see what went wrong why he didnt get arranged or matched up with some suitable earl's daughter or foreign monarch's daughter.....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Sorry to continue going off topic, but weren't there rumors that the measles had left Edward VIII infertile and that the BRF were aware of this problem. It may have been the one of the reasons behind George V's wish to that nothing should come between "Lilibet" and the throne.

Trudie

Diana was no Wallace Simpson. Diana willingly tried to adapt to marriage, motherhood and duties all in the first year of marriage. The problem was Charles like his family were indifferent to all the turmoil that came during that crucial period of adjustment. Most newlyweds go through this but for Diana it magnified a thousand times over with duties and engagements thrown in.

TLLK

^^^And don't forget a honeymoon pregnancy! New job, new home, new relationship, new in-laws, media frenzy and a baby on the way in the space of one calendar year is a  big adjustment for most adults.  :)

BTW-The other royal bride for 1981 was the current GD Maria Theresa of Luxembourg who was a few years older than Diana when she married Henri on Valentine's Day that year.  Like her counterpart in the UK, she must have felt the changes to her life to be overwhelming at times. (Less worldwide media attention, but she had to learn another language-Luxembourgish.) Also she like Diana she was pregnant shortly after the wedding because nine months later she gave birth to Guillaume. 

Duch_Luver_4ever

I dont think anyone thinks Diana was like Wallace Simpson, I agree with @TLLK  she had an incredible amount of change and work that first year, I think even now she hasnt gotten enough credit from the press and certainly the RF for that, although it seems they are, if not begrudgingly, learning from and making changes to try and avoid it, even if only for their self preservation, it will mean Diana's sacrifice will not be in vain.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

Diana and Wallis Simpson??? I do not get that comparison at all. One worked very hard for most of her public life, the other lived for pleasure and intrigue???
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

I agree with @royalanthropologist  and  @Duch_Luver_4ever. Except for being slim and stylish, I wouldn't see much comparison between Wallis and Diana.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: thanks @TLLK we're kind of skating off topic, which I dont mind, but i find the divorce settlement so interesting, both in terms of what ppl thought of it, to what it would have been like going through as a so-called "ordinary divorce" the differences in amounts would have been staggering. Also the difference in terms of ppls thoughts over who had the power in the negotiations and the realities.

Imagine if Diana had got half of the proceeds from the Duchy of Cornwall for instance, would Charles have worked so hard to build it up??? what say you all?

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 05, 2017, 08:21:38 PM
:goodpost: thanks @TLLK we're kind of skating off topic, which I dont mind, but i find the divorce settlement so interesting, both in terms of what ppl thought of it, to what it would have been like going through as a so-called "ordinary divorce" the differences in amounts would have been staggering. Also the difference in terms of ppls thoughts over who had the power in the negotiations and the realities.

Imagine if Diana had got half of the proceeds from the Duchy of Cornwall for instance, would Charles have worked so hard to build it up??? what say you all?
He he. That would be a turn up for the books. I am sure a certain Prince would be whispering in mummy's ear to do something about it. LOL :lol:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 05, 2017, 08:21:38 PM

Well all spousal support and alimony jokes aside,  :D I think that he'd still have built it up to ensure that it was in a healthy and sound financial state for those who depend upon it for their livelihood, to provide funding for himself, spouse, children/spouses and descendants,  and so it could transition to the future Dukes of Cornwall.

Duch_Luver_4ever

One would hope so and im sure for the most part it would, probably if nothing else it might have been a bigger necessity to keep the payments going. I think the crux lays in the whole lump sum vs monthly alimony. I can see both parties desire for one over the other, but I think Diana's desire to get away from the RF led her to take the lump sum.

Trudie

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 05, 2017, 05:30:42 AM
Diana and Wallis Simpson??? I do not get that comparison at all. One worked very hard for most of her public life, the other lived for pleasure and intrigue???

What I meant by my comment Diana was no Wallace Simpson was, Diana had no past nor had really entered into being an adult. Wallace lived for high society and endless socializing Diana lived for society and the betterment of those stigmatized by illness or disadvantages.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Trudie on January 06, 2017, 01:54:24 PM
Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 05, 2017, 05:30:42 AM

What I meant by my comment Diana was no Wallace Simpson was, Diana had no past nor had really entered into being an adult. Wallace lived for high society and endless socializing Diana lived for society and the betterment of those stigmatized by illness or disadvantages.

Message received and understood.