James and Alizee Middleton and Family Chat

Started by LouisFerdinand, July 10, 2018, 02:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

How soon do you think that James Middleton will become engaged and to whom?

TLLK

Kate Middleton's brother, James Middleton, reveals battle with depression - NZ Herald

I knew that he'd been diagnosed with dyslexia, but didn't realize until reading this that it was a moderate-severe disability.  Apparently he was just diagnosed with ADHD as well in the last couple of years.
Glad to see that he chose to seek treatment.

sara8150

With devastating honesty and courage, JAMES MIDDLETON reveals his private battle with depression | Daily Mail Online
I?m battle with depression since in high school but I?m taking medicine every morning but its so personal private matters for me i cant tell anyone

Curryong

So many many people suffer from clinical depression and more and more are coming out to tell about their struggle. It's sad but uplifting at the same time.

Blue Clover

I'm happy he's speaking out about it! I could she he was struggling. I hope his treatment works well for him.

wannable

Kudos to JM, a well written article.

No comments allowed in the DM, but I have checked various social media; twitter/instagram, it has been shared by the thousands.

royalanthropologist

That is very brave. I think DM was wise not to open up the comments. People there can go nuts over the silliest things.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Blue Clover

sara8150

James wanted kept private for him nobody tell about his personal life in public but need respect him its so private personal for him nobody tell anyone on article expect DM,Hello and lots of articles in England..

Many million people had struggled with depression but mostly mother had battle depression since baby born kept private..

amabel

But if he wants to keep it private why talk about it?  He is not relly a public figure, though he is boudn to get some attention from the Press as K's brother...

TLLK

QuoteYou may wonder why I have chosen to speak now about the clinical depression that first hit me at the end of 2016. There are two reasons.

Firstly, I feel ? although I?d never say I am cured of it ? that now I understand it and, with professional help, have worked out strategies for coping. Today, I feel a new sense of purpose and zest for life.

Secondly ? and perhaps most importantly ? I feel compelled to talk about it openly because this is precisely what my brother-in-law Prince William, my sister Catherine and Prince Harry are advocating through their mental health charity Heads Together.

They believe we can only tackle the stigma associated with mental illness if we have the courage to change the national conversation, to expel its negative associations. So it wouldn?t be honest to suppress my story. I want to speak out, and they are my motivation for doing so.

@amabel-Here are the reasons that he gave for opening up about his depression in the article he wrote for the DM.

TLLK

QuoteAccording to the World Health Organization, depression is an extremely common mental health disorder affecting more than 300 million people of all ages worldwide. But despite its wide reach, depression?as with many other mental health conditions?is often culturally stigmatized. In the UK, open discussions around depression and other mental health issues are still largely more taboo than not?for men in particular?making Middleton's essay especially important. "For many men, opening up about their feelings is the biggest social taboo," wrote Chris Hemmings in 2016 for the Independent, a British newspaper. Instead, he writes, "[we] bury our heads in the sand?or bottle, to be more accurate, as alcoholism rates for men in the UK are three times that of women." A report from the UK's Mental Health Foundation places suicide?which, the report reads is "associated with depressive disorders across the globe"?as the leading cause of death in the UK among people 20 to 34 years old, with more than three times as many men as women dying as a result of suicide.

Despite his sister's advocacy and the fact that the Middleton family had become "desperately worried" about his well-being, James writes that he found it difficult to open up to them at first, explaining that often with depression, "those who are closest to you are the hardest to speak to." Ultimately, it was the royals' years-long advocacy for openness around mental health that helped James come forward with his own story.

Kate Middleton's Brother James Wrote a Powerful Essay About Mental Health | Glamour

As most of us have read,  Harry and William have prioritized working with men and male service members to urge them to seek treatment for depression, PTSD, and other mental health concerns. Harry is focusing on the returning and active service members and IMO bravely shared about his own mental health struggles in recent years. William is focusing on reducing the UK's male suicide rate.

Blue Clover

TLLK

@Blue Clover - Yes it is a very honest and descriptive essay from James regarding his experience with clinical depression, his learning disability and ADD diagnosis. I too hope that more men considering seeking treatment for their mental health issues.

Blue Clover

@TLLK I hope his being open helps in that way, encourages more men to seek treatment for mental heath issues.

sara8150

TLLK

Quote from: sara8150 on January 14, 2019, 04:51:22 PM
James Middleton's sweet nod to sister Kate Middleton amid recent depression admission
James get sweet nod to his elder sister the Duchess of Cambridge in Hello Magazine articles

Glad that James acknowledged the work being done by Heads Together, the Cambridges and Prince Harry  when they started the campaign.

It appears that he's also volunteering with a pet therapy program.

QuoteInstead of accepting payment for the piece, he decided to instead ask for donations to two charities - one of which is Heads Together, the mental health cause Kate founded with husband Prince William and brother-in-law Prince Harry. A note at the end of the piece reads: "No fee has been paid for this article. At James? request a donation has been made to Pets As Therapy and Heads Together."

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: amabel on January 13, 2019, 08:42:18 AM
But if he wants to keep it private why talk about it?  He is not relly a public figure, though he is boudn to get some attention from the Press as K's brother...

I think he addressed that in the article - he felt it would help take the stigma out of mental illness and he also wanted those in pain to know that keeping it to oneself makes it worse. I agree that it was a great article and really conveyed the pain he has endured.

TLLK

@sandy-I agree that he's not really a public figure , but he is an individual who has shared his own experience with clinical depression with a very honest and detailed article. There might be others struggling with depression, especially men who  might recognize a similarity to their own mental, emotional and physical symptoms. Hopefully this might inspire someone to seek help. :)

royalanthropologist

James has done a very brave and useful thing. Men have very poor health-seeking behavior and it is good to see a young man come out and speak about his struggles with mental health. Hopefully it will encourage other men to get support. I also think that he is a public figure as a brother-in-law to a future king. That is precisely why people are bothering to report and even comment on his article.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

^^^Also I hope that it dispels the "idea" that those who are considered to be privileged can also struggle even though they have all of their physical needs met.

However as @Curryong has pointed out before, the access to help is not always easy for everyone. Especially considering that James has the resources to go to a private practice therapist, doctor etc...gives him quicker access to assistance unlike someone who is dependent upon the state funded care.

wannable

James doesn't mention by name his GP, but the GP referred him to a renowned psychiatrist in the UK, James mentions him, Dr. Stephen Pereira , who works for the NSA and also has his private practice. In his website, for those that are not privileged, he does accept appointments at the NSA.

James Instagram has increased from 5K to 130+K since he made it public, firstly due to Spencer Mathews sharing with @JMidy a TBT of his wedding to Vogue, next day James article. Since his articles was conditioned to James the writer, no comments were allowed.  People have left him really nice and inspiring comments in his Instagram account.

The comments are here
James Middleton on Instagram: ?Proud of Ella becoming a PAT dog this year. Animals can provide a sense of calm, comfort, or safety and divert

With his PAT dog Ella (mother of dog Lupo, DOC's woof)

wannable

^ Read his own article, the answer to your questions are there, hence the majority of the comments in his Instagram relate to him, saying he described it to a T, perfection.  The article is linked to the opening of this thread. 

Here's the stats for 2018

QuoteDepression is the leading cause of disability worldwide. Almost 75% of people with mental disorders remain untreated in developing countries with almost 1 million people taking their lives each year. In addition, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), 1 in 13 globally suffers from anxiety. The WHO reports that anxiety disorders are the most common mental disorders worldwide with specific phobia, major depressive disorder and social phobia being the most common anxiety disorders