Earth Shot Prize thread

Started by PrincessOfPeace, November 07, 2019, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

TheEarthshotPrize
‏@EarthshotPrize
We?re excited to announce #Earthshotprize, a decade of action to repair the earth. Will you help us solve earth?s greatest problems

Kensington Palace
‏Verified account
@KensingtonRoyal
Who is ready to lead as we make the 2020s a decade of action to repair our planet?
Introducing the @EarthshotPrize
Twitter

A new project 2020 for Prince William

PrincessOfPeace

More than 60 organizations and experts were consulted over the last 12 months about the project, as William hopes to bring together a coalition of scientists, economists, activists, governments and businesses to help harness the best ideas for possible reward. The first award ceremony will be in 2021.

- People Magazine

wannable

PrincessOfPeace

With Australia on fire and the Arctic in meltdown, it's clear we're in a climate emergency. I'm proud to support
@EarthshotPrize from @KensingtonRoyal

- Hillary Clinton

TLLK

Prince William launches The Earthshot Prize - the 'most prestigious environmental prize in history'

The prize was designed and will be initially administrated by The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge but the long term plan is for it to become an independent organisation involving a global coalition of environmental and conservation NGOs in partnership with businesses and other global figures.

The Duke is aiming to build the biggest coalition of scientists, economists, activists, leaders, governments, businesses, philanthropists, cities, and countries ever established in the field.

It will be supported by a global coalition of philanthropists and organisations.

QuoteIts name is inspired by the concept of moonshots, which since the moon landing in 1969 has become shorthand for ambitious and ground-breaking goals.

It is hoped that its launch will spawn new technologies, systems and policies just as the moonshot that John F. Kennedy proposed in the 1960s led to the development of new technology such as the MRI scanner and satellite dishes, smoke detectors and advanced water filters.

QuoteHe has spoken to both his father, the Prince of Wales, and his grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, about the project as he wanted to build on their own work on conservation and climate change.

PrincessOfPeace

With every day that passes, the urgency of the world?s environmental challenges becomes clearer. Great initiative by
@KensingtonRoyal & @EarthshotPrize to inspire our smartest minds to address our greatest problems: the emergencies facing our natural world.  #EarthshotPrize

- Mayor of London Sadiq Khan

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on November 08, 2019, 01:09:49 AM
I'm very interested to see how this project will be launched in the coming months.
Me, too, TLLK. But however it is launched I'm sure the Cambridges will do a great job with it. I admire them so much. This is HUGE!

wannable

It's already launched, interested people with a ''solution'' that may help the environment are eligible for the multimillion pound prizes for the next 10 years.  Write and contact here: Earthshot Prize - A decade of action to repair the Earth   

As The Earthshot Prize grows, we want to hear from like-minded people and companies who look at the biggest issues facing our planet. If you think you will be able to play a part in the future, provide your details here.

William will be attending 2 events this 2020: China and UK

Finding the solutions
In what is set to be a ?super year? for the environment with crucial summits including the Convention on Biodiversity in China and the COP26 Climate Change Conference in the UK, we will unveil a small number of Earthshot challenges in special events around the globe. These challenges will seek answers to the biggest issues currently facing the planet, including: climate and energy, nature and biodiversity, oceans, air pollution and fresh water.
We will be awarding a prestigious prize to 5 winners per year over 10 years. Through this, and the winners work following each initial challenge, we hope to be able to provide at least 50 solutions to the world?s greatest problems by 2030. An annual awards ceremony will take place in different cities across the world each year between 2021 and 2030.

Like the Nobel Prize, they have 1 big yearly white tie event to award the winners, same concept with EarthShotPrize. Read the above quote.  Like the Nobel Price, close to the date, William's team will notify the nominees.  So those individuals or companies that get nominated this 2020, will be participating in the 1st awards 2021. 5 winners per year. 

I also believe the Gates and Allen foundation have provided the millions of dollars to do this for the following ten years.  These 2 foundations are the biggest worldwide.

Princess Cassandra

I do remember either Kate or William or both meeting with the Gates' last year. Now we know why!

PrincessOfPeace

The @earthshotprize is a brilliant initiative that will inspire a decade of action to help protect our planet. When we work together, there is no limit to what we can achieve.

Prime Minister @BorisJohnson

TLLK

KP social media on the Australian fires and where to find updated information including evacuation notices  on the fires.

Twitter

QuoteOur followers in Australia can find out the latest information on the fires by following the accounts on this list👇

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/lists/australia-fire-services ?

As the devastating fires continue our thoughts remain with those impacted and those working heroically to fight them.

sandy

Quote from: wannable on January 01, 2020, 04:59:35 PM
It's already launched, interested people with a ''solution'' that may help the environment are eligible for the multimillion pound prizes for the next 10 years.  Write and contact here: Earthshot Prize - A decade of action to repair the Earth   

As The Earthshot Prize grows, we want to hear from like-minded people and companies who look at the biggest issues facing our planet. If you think you will be able to play a part in the future, provide your details here.

William will be attending 2 events this 2020: China and UK

Like the Nobel Prize, they have 1 big yearly white tie event to award the winners, same concept with EarthShotPrize. Read the above quote.  Like the Nobel Price, close to the date, William's team will notify the nominees.  So those individuals or companies that get nominated this 2020, will be participating in the 1st awards 2021. 5 winners per year. 

I also believe the Gates and Allen foundation have provided the millions of dollars to do this for the following ten years.  These 2 foundations are the biggest worldwide.

I don't think it will have the prestige of the Nobel Prize.

wannable

@pottery281
Omid where's the news to be announced over the xmas period for Cambridges  or was it taken out of context...

Omid Scobie
‏Verified account
@scobie
A comment I made about holiday period announcements (midwives letter, Earthshot Prize, Heads Up etc.) that was massively taken out of context.

LouisFerdinand

Today is January 6th, The Feast of the Epiphany. When is the announcement going to be announced?

TLLK

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on January 07, 2020, 12:43:49 AM
They already made it before New Year's.

William and Kate are to create a new Royal award with launch of photography competition | Daily Mail Online
And I think that they said there would be two announcements, because the photography prize will be a separate but related project.

PrincessOfPeace

Prince William launches his 50 million pound @EarthshotPrize today. It is billed as the most prestigious global environment prize in history and aims to incentivise change and help to repair the planet over the next decade

Five 1 million pound prizes will be awarded each year over the next ten years. The @EarthshotPrize categories are:

* Protect and restore nature

* Clean our air

* Revive our oceans

* Build a waste-free world

* Fix our climate

Prince William: *The plan is to really galvanise and bring together the best minds, the best possible solutions, to fixing and tackling some of the worlds greatest environmental challenges. Weve got to harness our ingenuity and our ability to invent.*

*The next ten years are a critical decade for change. Time is of the essence, which is why we believe that this very ambitious global prize is the only way forward.*

TLLK

PrincessOfPeace

The Earthshot Prize is the most prestigious global environment prize in history.  It is designed to incentivise change and help repair our planet over the next 10 years.

Every year from 2021 until 2030, Prince William, alongside a panel of Prize Council Members covering six continents, will award The Earthshot Prize to five winners, one per Earthshot, whose evidence-based solutions make the most progress towards these goals.

The Earthshot Prize is centred around five *Earthshots* - simple but ambitious goals, underpinned by scientifically agreed targets, which if achieved by 2030 will improve life for us all, for generations to come.  They are focused on climate, nature, air, oceans and waste.

The first awards ceremony will take place in London in 2021.

Introducing The Earthshot Prize with Prince William and Sir David Attenborough - YouTube

PrincessOfPeace

Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Boris Johnson and even the Archbishop of Canterbury all tweeted their support for Earthshot. As did countless academics and Universities.

Truly a remarkable project.

wannable

Well deserved too.  He did a 2 year attention to detail, as I have heard for both Eathshot Prize and his enviornmental documentary, at the same time!.  I can't wait till the rights (ITV aired it, they co-own with Prince William) of his documentary A Planet for Us All is released worldwide.  Experts that have seen it have deemed it phenomenal.

wannable

Prince William recruits Amy Pickerall, Meghan's former right hand woman, for his star-studded ?50m eco-Nobel Prize.

Back then when she resigned, she was leaving to work at another country.  Seems like she never left the UK.  Amy Pickerall is back in the fold.

Curryong

That was media talk. Amy turned up a couple of times for private events of Meghan's after she left her position, so there certainly wasn't any bad blood between them.

wannable

I think there was something to prompt Amy to quit.

6 months later she's spotted working at a hotel! From a A+ job to a C- everything wise, source: Glassdoor. By the way, Glassdoor is the best #1 job site to compare and contrast positions, salaries, etc.

ETA: I'm glad for her, she has secured a ''possible'' 10 years of work/career with Prince William. Source: the Earshot Project money is budgeted for 10 years price and a few dedicated staff, i.e. Amy

PrincessOfPeace

The Duke of Cambridge outlines his plans for the @EarthshotPrize and determination to protect the environment on the Global Optimism podcast which is out tomorrow

Prince William: The science is out there and is irrefutable. We have the data. So let?s stop talking about it and lets actually provide the action. I think that?s what?s going to be really needed over these next ten years.

Twitter