When Charles is King - Part 2

Started by Curryong, August 22, 2019, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

A week or 2 ago, she was planting a tree and when someone offered to help, she said firmly tht she was still capable of doing this job.. thank you very much.   

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: TLLK on September 05, 2019, 03:13:10 PM
In this article from 2012 Prince William speaks about he and his brother and cousins have all asked QEII if they can help her with her work and that she doesn't want to be told to curtail her engagements just like QEQM.

Prince William on Queen Elizabeth in exclusive interview: 'My grandma is incredible' | Daily Mail Online

What a nice article, TLLK.

sandy

this is from some time ago. If the Queen did not need help, she would not be passing on duties to Prince Charles. William wanted what he wanted and that was to delay full time work. In a later interview he complained about the "weight of duty."

Double post auto-merged: September 05, 2019, 03:33:25 PM

Quote from: amabel on September 05, 2019, 03:21:35 PM
A week or 2 ago, she was planting a tree and when someone offered to help, she said firmly tht she was still capable of doing this job.. thank you very much.   

She still has passed on work to Prince Charles.

TLLK

Yes it is @sandy and since then we know that QEII and the DoE voluntarily gave up some of their patronages to the other family members, had William join in on performing investitures and she's ended her foreign travel along with Phillip retiring.
Charles performed his military service and trained with all three branches of the military just like his eldest son. QEII wouldn't have permitted William to work part time for EAAA and perform part time royal duties unless she was in agreement with the plan. When the DoE retired we saw the Wales brothers and Catherine becoming full time royals. IMHO it's all part of the plan that the BRF has in place. No doubt there are alternatives in place should a family member become deceased or needs to retire. The BRF are certainly prepared! :happy:

amabel

Of course she has.  But she has passed on what SHE wants to pass on.  She has made it clear that she still regards herself as fit to work and wishing to do so..

TLLK

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02019070952208/93-year-old-queen-elizabeth-ii-plants-tree

QuoteWhen officials offered help, the 93-year-old responded, ?No, no. I?m still perfectly capable of planting a tree.? With that, NIAB chairperson Jim Godfrey handed her a shovel and with further ado, she got going on the work.

?I don?t think I?ve ever planted one of these before,? she said in the midst of the job. But she didn?t stop there. She lifted two more loads of soil before she finished.

Here's the article from this summer @amabel. This is QEII"s reign and it would appear that she's going to continue to perform her own roles to the best of her capability. Her family has shared more than once that they offer to help but that QEII would like to stay on the job and do things herself. She's handed down the tasks that she finds physically taxing and her family members are stepping up to assist.  :happy:

Don't forget that we have an existing thread on the topic of how QEII's family can assist her.

QEII at 93 how should her family be assisting her?

amabel

Yes I saw the story in the papers here... She is amazingly fit for her age.. so is Philip - .  He seems to be very well since he had that op last year.  But I think she knows what she can and can't do.  HE is stil pretty well but He wants time to himself now. and she spends more time now out of London...

sandy

Quote from: amabel on September 05, 2019, 03:39:32 PM
Of course she has.  But she has passed on what SHE wants to pass on.  She has made it clear that she still regards herself as fit to work and wishing to do so..

She has made it  clear by passing on more duties to Charles.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on September 05, 2019, 03:55:12 PM
Yes I saw the story in the papers here... She is amazingly fit for her age.. so is Philip - .  He seems to be very well since he had that op last year.  But I think she knows what she can and can't do.  HE is stil pretty well but He wants time to himself now. and she spends more time now out of London...
Yes they both are. Although he's retired he seems to stay active with hobbies though it was wise to give up driving on public roads this year. She's still holding strong but knows her limits and has wisely shifted more overseas work to Charles and the family. Taxing duties such as investitures which require standing for long periods of time have been largely taken over by Charles and William.

It appears that she's also handed off duties related to the Duchy of Lancaster to Charles and in turn he's handed over more of the Duchy of Cornwall meetings to William. :) The BRF seem to be well prepared for the future IMHO.

sandy

I think Charles is still very much involved in the Duchy of Cornwall and has not entirely to say the least relinquished this all to William.

amabel

He is harldy going to completely relinquish his role since he is the Duke of Cornwall.. but he has taken over some of the queen's work now as Duke of Lancaster. and William is learning about the finances of the Duchy of Cornwal...WHy on earth would he not do so?  In some few years, he will be Duke of cornwall and Chalres will be King...

TLLK

Very true @amabel. The heir and heir to the heir are preparing for their future roles and assisting QEII as well.I would not be surprised if QEII suggested this to her son and grandson so they could help her with her work and learn about their future Duchies.

sandy

Quote from: amabel on September 05, 2019, 07:28:11 PM
He is harldy going to completely relinquish his role since he is the Duke of Cornwall.. but he has taken over some of the queen's work now as Duke of Lancaster. and William is learning about the finances of the Duchy of Cornwal...WHy on earth would he not do so?  In some few years, he will be Duke of cornwall and Chalres will be King...

I still think Charles is doing most of the work. William would still have to learn after he gets this post.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 05, 2019, 08:08:25 PM
I still think Charles is doing most of the work. William would still have to learn after he gets this post.
which is what he is doing. I doubt if Charles is doing "most of the work" since he has a lot of responsibilities, with his many charities, his assisting with the queen's duties, and the like

TLLK

@amabel-And taking on some of the work associated with the Duchy of Lancaster assists his mother and prepares him for the role. Likewise William helps by taking on Duchy of Cornwall work and in turn learns from the team associated with its management. QEII gets to check off another item from her "to do" list because now it's being partly delegated to her heir.  :happy:

As I said previously, the BRF are taking the time to help QEII and prepare for the future.  :thumbsup:

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 05, 2019, 08:24:25 PM
@amabel-And taking on some of the work associated with the Duchy of Lancaster assists his mother and prepares him for the role. Likewise William helps by taking on Duchy of Cornwall work and in turn learns from the team associated with its management. QEII gets to check off another item from her "to do" list because now it's being partly delegated to her heir.  :happy:

As I said previously, the BRF are taking the time to help QEII and prepare for the future.  :thumbsup:
Obviously they are planning for an orderly transition.. Charles taking on some of the Duchy of Lancaster and Will taking on some of Cornwall.  PHilp retiring and Harry and Meghan starting into full time royal work .

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sandy on September 05, 2019, 02:15:20 PM
That is not what I had said. The Queen already handed on some duties to Charles. He did not have to ask her. She is slowing down and is in her nineties. Naturally Charles with his duties and his being in his seventies now and adding on more would need to give some to his heirs to do. William has openly talked about the "weight of duties" and he has taken his time to step up.But if the Queen becomes ill and there is a need for her grandsons to help certainly they would not have to 'ask" her if she is ready. they would certainly be aware of it or hopefully they would.

I never heard of a monarch waiting until the children or grandchildren say can I help. they are expected to do so unless they want to step down.

It is the way of things for people to age out and retire. William indeed should be stepping up. And Harry also.
I'd say it has all been planned out very carefully and thoroughly with contingencies and provisions for changes if needed. Nobody will ever need to ask, because they already know their parts in the plan.

TLLK

William attended another Duchy of Cornwall meeting today so the transition is continuing to happen behind the scenes.

Princess Cassandra

I just wish we didn't even have to think about or discuss a transition. 

TLLK

@Princess Cassandra -However QEII is wise to have begun the process so her heir and his heir can be prepared when the time comes. :Jen:

sandy

Theoretically the heir and heir to the heir would  need to be ready at any time. William for example is only two heartbeats away.

TLLK

And fortunately for the BRF the monarch, heir and heir-to-the-heir have been preparing for this for decades now just like they did for QEII when she was Princess Elizabeth.  I always try to be mindful of the fact that any new adult monarch is surrounded by advisers and the senior members of the government who will help them transition to their largely ceremonial  role. This is a well-oiled machine which has survived for centuries.  :happy:

Double post auto-merged: September 13, 2019, 04:39:36 PM

William's preparation is nearly identical to Charles and his adult aged peers around the world in Jordan, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein etc..
It far exceeds what Edward VII, George V, George VI and QEII received. Victoria wouldn't even permit her heir a fraction of the preparation for the role that QEII has permitted for Charles and William.

amabel

well the queen was a young woman when she became queen.. and had recently had Charles.  So I suppose she wanted to make sure he had a good training...

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on September 13, 2019, 04:13:07 PM
And fortunately for the BRF the monarch, heir and heir-to-the-heir have been preparing for this for decades now just like they did for QEII when she was Princess Elizabeth.  I always try to be mindful of the fact that any new adult monarch is surrounded by advisers and the senior members of the government who will help them transition to their largely ceremonial  role. This is a well-oiled machine which has survived for centuries.  :happy:

Double post auto-merged: September 13, 2019, 04:39:36 PM

William's preparation is nearly identical to Charles and his adult aged peers around the world in Jordan, Sweden, Norway, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein etc..
It far exceeds what Edward VII, George V, George VI and QEII received. Victoria wouldn't even permit her heir a fraction of the preparation for the role that QEII has permitted for Charles and William.

William's preparation is not nearly identical with Charles. Charles was eager for work on the Prince's Trust. William wanted to postpone full time duties to get a "normal" job as an Air Ambulance worker but he did not have the same schedules as his mates.

TLLK

@sandy- I didn't say it was "identical" I noted that it was nearly identical. So yes their preparation has been nearly identical and is very similar to what every adult heir to the throne has undergone. (If it had been exactly the same I would have used the word "identical." ) Both Charles and William are university graduates. They both trained with three branches of the British military (Army, Navy, Air Force) and served in one: Charle-Navy, William-Air Force (SAR). Both have started foundations: Charles-Prince's Trust and William-Royal Foundation of DDof Cam/Prince Harry/Sussexes/United for Wildlife. Each has performed engagements on behalf on their charities, patronages, along with other domestic and foreign travel on behalf of the monarch and the government. It's what adult heirs to the throne are expected to do as they wait for their future reigns to begin. Charles has obviously been doing this longer than any other living heir to the throne, so he's bound to have done more than his heir and his other royal peers. :shrug:

William had royal duties to perform so of course he couldn't have the same schedules as his team at EAAA. :shrug: Those team mates depended upon their full time salaries.  The BBC confirmed  that William donated his salary back to EAAA when it was announced that he'd be leaving the organization to take up full time royal duties. (Which coincided with the announcement that the DoE would be retiring.)