When Charles is King - Part 2

Started by Curryong, August 22, 2019, 09:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Opinion piece on Prince Charles feature in Vanity Fair for his 70th birthday. Bit elderly now, but interesting.

Prince Charles VF piece is full of work shade aimed at William and Kate

wannable

Yes, it's quite a dated article November 2018.

Curryong

That doesn't make it years old though, barely nine months. And the content is interesting. It also aligns with the discussions and conclusions on another thread that the Queen seems determined that she and her children, (especially Charles) will top the engagements tally while she is alive, active and compos mentis.

TLLK

Was the article posted last year? I can't remember.

LouisFerdinand

I hope that it is not true that Prince William and Catherine are "work-shy".

Princess Cassandra

We have all discussed these topics on here at length. Perhaps this was an effort to re-brand the POW. I don't agree that William and Kate are work shy, if that's really what the article intended to convey.

amabel

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 01, 2019, 07:24:02 AM
We have all discussed these topics on here at length. Perhaps this was an effort to re-brand the POW. I don't agree that William and Kate are work shy, if that's really what the article intended to convey.
They don't do as much as Charles..

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: amabel on September 01, 2019, 09:22:17 AM

Prince Charles' work ethic is admirable IMO. The Prince's trust is amazing.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: amabel on September 01, 2019, 09:22:17 AM
No, they don't. In fact, I don't believe ANYONE does as much, even Princess Anne, although she has more engagements than anyone. He works very hard and his wife understands and accepts it. William is in another place, and as a 21st century parent is a family man as well as a working royal. It remains to be seen if he will be as hard working as the current POW when he inherits that role, but I certainly wouldn't call him work shy.

sandy

Family men work a whole lot more hours than Will and Family women too and they are fantastic parents. WIlliam I think needs to pull his weight more. After all he's in his thirties, his father is over 71 and his grandmother in her nineties.He should be pitching in more. IMO

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 03, 2019, 09:25:17 PM
No, they don't. In fact, I don't believe ANYONE does as much, even Princess Anne, although she has more engagements than anyone. He works very hard and his wife understands and accepts it. William is in another place, and as a 21st century parent is a family man as well as a working royal. It remains to be seen if he will be as hard working as the current POW when he inherits that role, but I certainly wouldn't call him work shy.
Yes Anne is definitely the often overlooked worker in the family. Like the majority of monarchies, the work is mostly done by the monarch/consort and adult heir/spouse and other adults in the  family if their nation's constitution and traditions permit it. It's not a case of the younger adults being required to do the majority of the work as there are specific ones that are to be taken on solely by the monarch. Hard to predict the future precisely but I believe that the future Prince and Princess of Wales will be taking on more duties especially overseas travel as his father ages. The final say will come down to what Charles will want his family to do on his behalf when his reign begins.

amabel

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 03, 2019, 09:25:17 PM
I wouldn't say he's anything like his father.. he does not care about the role as much as Charles does.. He does an OK job but he isn't passionate about it.  However, I think that is Ok for the moment.  Charles wont want to give up his work a day before he has to

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: sandy on September 03, 2019, 11:53:03 PM
Family men work a whole lot more hours than Will and Family women too and they are fantastic parents. WIlliam I think needs to pull his weight more. After all he's in his thirties, his father is over 71 and his grandmother in her nineties.He should be pitching in more. IMO
As has already been discussed, the Queen has handed out patronages and responsibilities as she feels the need or is ready, and the Prince of Wales is madly intent on "doing more", so neither William or Harry, or their spouses, can help them until they want them to help. I don't think William (or Harry for that matter) can just pitch in more. 

TLLK

Agreed @Princess Cassandra - The younger royals just can't walk up to QEII and tell her that they'll be taking over her engagements and duties without her consent just because she's in her nineties and her heir is in his seventies. :nod:

sandy

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 05, 2019, 01:53:56 AM
As has already been discussed, the Queen has handed out patronages and responsibilities as she feels the need or is ready, and the Prince of Wales is madly intent on "doing more", so neither William or Harry, or their spouses, can help them until they want them to help. I don't think William (or Harry for that matter) can just pitch in more. 

That is not what I had said. The Queen already handed on some duties to Charles. He did not have to ask her. She is slowing down and is in her nineties. Naturally Charles with his duties and his being in his seventies now and adding on more would need to give some to his heirs to do. William has openly talked about the "weight of duties" and he has taken his time to step up.But if the Queen becomes ill and there is a need for her grandsons to help certainly they would not have to 'ask" her if she is ready. they would certainly be aware of it or hopefully they would.

I never heard of a monarch waiting until the children or grandchildren say can I help. they are expected to do so unless they want to step down.

It is the way of things for people to age out and retire. William indeed should be stepping up. And Harry also.

oak_and_cedar

What happens if HM passes away?

They can't then carry on the same way as now. IMO. And if they step up it won't be as "hard" as  as if they have a 8 hour a day job. IMO.

TLLK

QuoteI never heard of a monarch waiting until the children or grandchildren say can I help. they are expected to do so unless they want to step down.

QEII's grandchildren have repeatedly asked their grandmother and grandfather if they can help and the response has typically been that they (Elizabeth and Phillip) will let them know if they need assistance. Both handed over patronages and appointments to their children/their spouses, the cousins/their spouses and grandchildren/their spouses when the senior couple were ready to do so.

Unless QEII makes the request, the rest of the family cannot just tell Elizabeth that they're going to take on her engagements/duties without her consent.  :shrug: If she chooses to continue on in her current manner then that wish should be honored IMO.

QuoteWhat happens if HM passes away?
-This article explains what will happen in the hours, days, weeks, and months after QEII's death.

What Happens When Queen Elizabeth II Dies - Town & Country Magazine

The new King of the UK and his consort will take on the roles/duties that are specifically for the monarch/consort. The new heir and his spouse will take on the duties specific to their role. QEII's/the DoE's remaining patronages will be divided up between the remaining family members.  :) The family likely has had a plan in place for years.  Should Charles choose to begin scaling down the monarchy, I believe that the older Kent cousins will be among the first to retire from the majority of their roles/duties.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: TLLK on September 05, 2019, 02:24:50 PM
QEII's grandchildren have repeatedly asked their grandmother and grandfather if they can help and the response has typically been that they (Elizabeth and Phillip) will let them know if they need assistance. Both handed over patronages and appointments to their children/their spouses, the cousins/their spouses and grandchildren/their spouses when the senior couple were ready to do so.

Unless QEII makes the request, the rest of the family cannot just tell Elizabeth that they're going to take on her engagements/duties without her consent.  :shrug: If she chooses to continue on in her current manner then that wish should be honored IMO.

The new King of the UK and his consort will take on the roles/duties that are specifically for the monarch/consort. The new heir and his spouse will take on the duties specific to their role. QEII's/the DoE's remaining patronages will be divided up between the remaining family members.  :)

I certainly hope so. I hope PW is prepared. PC most certainly is anyway IMO.

I do wonder what will happen to the prince's trust when PC is king.

TLLK

@oak_and_cedar -The direct heirs have had to be prepared since they were old enough to legally take on the role so no doubt that goal has already been met.  :)

sandy

-This article explains what will happen in the hours, days, weeks, and months after QEII's death.

The new King of the UK and his consort will take on the roles/duties that are specifically for the monarch/consort. The new heir and his spouse will take on the duties specific to their role. QEII's/the DoE's remaining patronages will be divided up between the remaining family members.  :) The family likely has had a plan in place for years.  Should Charles choose to begin scaling down the monarchy, I believe that the older Kent cousins will be among the first to retire from the majority of their roles/duties.
[/quote

How is it known this was done repeatedly. People do age out in the monarchy and the next generations should be prepared. William is literally two heartbeats from being monarch.

I think if William and harry asked if they could work on something I doubt the Queen would tell them no. the issue never came up because William decided he wanted a "normal" job (of course he had security officer around and the job could only be temporary)

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: TLLK on September 05, 2019, 02:31:14 PM
@oak_and_cedar -The direct heirs have had to be prepared since they were old enough to legally take on the role so no doubt that goal has already been met.  :)

Not necessarily IMO. But I hope so.

TLLK

Quotethink if William and harry asked if they could work on something I doubt the Queen would tell them no.

There are duties and roles specific to the monarch that even the heir, heir-to-the-heir and others cannot  perform even if QEII wanted them to assist her ie: Current Brexit meetings with the PM or acting as Head of State. :shrug: QEII already has permitted her grandsons to work on their own Foundation, their military roles and foreign travel on behalf of the nation/monarchy.  We've seen for years that William assists her with investitures now.  QEII's letting them "work on something" for their own patronages/charities however if she wants to continue to make appearances on behalf of her own patronages that wish should be honored. :nod:

William and Harry making appearances for their own patronages doesn't lighten the load for QEII however representing the UK abroad ie: Cambridges upcoming trip to Pakistan does help her as she no longer does foreign travel.

amabel

I think she gets highly peeved if pressed to take things easy, unless it is by her choice.  She is doing a bit less, including no foreign travel but she's still very active..adn would resent any suggestion that she cant do things or should hand them over

Double post auto-merged: September 05, 2019, 03:04:37 PM

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 05, 2019, 02:36:31 PM
Not necessarily IMO. But I hope so.
why would they not be trained and prepared?  the Britsih Monarchy has been around for 1000 years, and the queen is the longest serving monarch. I think she's been very conscientious in ensuring that her direct heirs are prepared...

TLLK

In this article from 2012 Prince William speaks about he and his brother and cousins have all asked QEII if they can help her with her work and that she doesn't want to be told to curtail her engagements just like QEQM.

Prince William on Queen Elizabeth in exclusive interview: 'My grandma is incredible' | Daily Mail Online
Quoteust like her late mother before her, though, she doesn?t welcome attempts, however well-meaning, to curtail her engagements.

But does anyone in her family ever try to say to her: ?Your Majesty, wouldn?t it be a good idea to take it easy??
'We keep telling her to take it easy, but she won't hear of it'

?We all do,? Prince William replies with a smile. ?We all try to sit down with her. My father and her other children say it a lot to her.

?For the grandchildren, it?s a bit difficult for us to say ?take it easy? when she?s so much older than us and has done so much more. We do hint at taking some things off her, but she won?t have anything of it.

?She?s so dedicated and really determined to finish everything she started. She?ll want to hand over knowing she?s done everything she possibly could to help, and that she?s got no regrets and no unfinished business; that she?s done everything she can for the country and that she?s not let anyone down ? she minds an awful lot about that.?

And the Diamond Jubilee? ?She?d want to keep going regardless. But it?s nice for her to know, after 60 years, that she really has made a huge difference and that people massively look up to her.

?They see this dedication and this service. And I?d hope people would want to emulate that sort of sacrifice and dedication in their own lives.?

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: amabel on September 05, 2019, 03:03:12 PM

why would they not be trained and prepared?  the Britsih Monarchy has been around for 1000 years, and the queen is the longest serving monarch. I think she's been very conscientious in ensuring that her direct heirs are prepared...

We will have to see because the result will be apparent soon enough. IMO.

I do think PC is prepared and I'd like to think that PW is starting to think along those lines, so to speak.