Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall

Started by TLLK, December 31, 2018, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on October 13, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
TBH I have never gotten the feeling that William or Harry shared their father's passion for historic architecture, however I could see Charles discussing the topic with his daughters-in-law.  :nod:

I don't think either of them is into it..but William will be the landlord of the Cornwall estate so he may develop an interest in it, in later life

dianab

Quote from: TLLK on October 13, 2019, 05:16:34 PM
TBH I have never gotten the feeling that William or Harry shared their father's passion for historic architecture, however I could see Charles discussing the topic with his daughters-in-law.  :nod:

do you thinks kate and meghan care for architecture? why?

sandy

TLLK

Quote from: dianab on October 13, 2019, 10:43:37 PM
do you thinks kate and meghan care for architecture? why?
IMO both lean towards an interest in the arts as based upon their choices in schooling, interests. :)

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on October 14, 2019, 12:12:10 AM
IMO both lean towards an interest in the arts as based upon their choices in schooling, interests. :)
True, isn't Meghan supposed to be friendly with Charles over tehir mutual interest in the arts?

wannable

The thing I will be curious is Prince Philip had the clout of the Duchy of Lancashire, Sandringham, Balmoral, and pin pointed descriptions at the BP household (who to contact for each item, The Queen or PP) whilst the Queen was doing her job as a Monarch. 

So, when Charles is King, he will take all the brunt, or will or has Camilla being prepared to take some clout.   

Kate has taken interest and control over i.e. Kensington Palace household and their percentage of responsibility in the Royal Foundation (that was practically the only thing mentioned about her in the Telegraph article interview of solely William, about William, straight to the point of the William's daily life - one day at the Duchy)

wannable

Prince Charles: Inside the Duchy of Cornwall
9pm Thursday 24th October on ITV

Twitter

In the short promo video, Charles says that the farmers who work for the Duchy is generational, during his 50 years he worked with grandparents to parents to children.

wannable

Prince Charles admits he was so 'touched and moved' when Prince William showed an interest in taking over the Duchy of Cornwall that he was 'practically reduced to tears'
Prince Charles is preparing for when eldest son will take over Duchy of Cornwall
He said Prince William, 37, is lucky to have had so long to learn about the estate
The heir to the throne appears on Prince Charles: Inside The Duchy Of Cornwall

Tomorrow ITV, 9:00 p.m.

sandy

I don't think it is a top priority for William.  I don't think William had a choice really in taking it over. I don't  understand Charles tears.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on October 23, 2019, 06:24:51 PM
I don't think it is a top priority for William.  I don't think William had a choice really in taking it over. I don't  understand Charles tears.
he is very proud of his land...it has been one of his successes. Of course he is touched and pleased that Will is showing willing to follow his lead on the Duchy

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on October 23, 2019, 06:27:30 PM
he is very proud of his land...it has been one of his successes. Of course he is touched and pleased that Will is showing willing to follow his lead on the Duchy
I can certainly understand his pride in the Duchy and of course must be so pleased that William is stepping up and taking on the meetings and some of the duties associated with it.

Quoteheres a lot of difference between shedding a few proud tears.. and getting upset abut things.

Agreed. There is a reason that they're called "tears of joy." :nod:

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on October 24, 2019, 12:13:48 AM
@sandy-We're discussing Charles' reaction to William's praise for him and that he's taken an interest in the Duchy, not Harry's reactions. :shrug:

Here is the thread for when Archie was born.

Archie Harrison Mountbatton-Windsor
True but I havent' seen anyone crtiicising Harry for shedding a few tears of joy and pride when Archie was born.  It is quite understandable. 

wannable

I am super interested in watching this 2 part documentary of the Duchy.  And will be posting and commenting.

amabel

Quote from: wannable on October 24, 2019, 01:09:42 PM
I am super interested in watching this 2 part documentary of the Duchy.  And will be posting and commenting.
I migtht watch it.. Interesting to see something about the history of the Duchy....

wannable

Thanks to the twitter wars between fans.

Like the Sussex Documentary, someone recorded it in YouTube.  Again, I can't link a ITV property here. I've saved it to watch later, part 1 is 46 minutes with no commercial breaks. I've read some comments, apparently its perfect for history archives.

wannable

Plenty including new ones, at least in Social Media, the comments are very positive. Then you have the historians and the standard 9 p.m. ITV viewers giving kudos to the programme.

amabel

I found it very interesting.. abot the Duchy rather than Charles...

wannable

The focus is on the Duchy, yes and its people, although it is important to note in the programme, it is extraordinary that he is the first POW to make the DOC profitable, no any other until him. William is really lucky to have his father as a learning instrument and curve.  I also love that historically the DOC has old film and what new of the ITV production.

Out of the 700 leased farms, Charles already had started the program for young farmers, 40 of them are around the age of William, and the most important aspect is that many people would love and wish to live and work in the countryside/farming, so they have a meticulous selection process. This due to not all of the 660 other farmers, who are 50+ age above, their children, next gen some want to continue others not, the not will be William's land lording.

2 things I am sure William will have to or already is starting to project for his future:

1. what to do with the HM Prison Dartmoor, belongs to the DOC, the leasing will not be renewed by HM government.  The installation exists since the Napoleonic era.

2. board of trustees of the DOC; they are Charles or older.  These people have a 'know' of the DOC.  William needs to start prepping and asking around his circle, who would like to be long-term in the board.

I also did not know, the DOC has a rather beautiful office stone throw from Buckingham Palace, the Duchy HQ. Here too, Charles has long-term trusted CEO and PA, that William will need to think for his future, point no. 2. It functions like any big company. The commercial venues of the DOC are the money makers.

Looking forward for the Part 2 this coming Thursday.

sandy

I think Will has time yet. Will may want his father's board to continue on because they have the know how and experience. Then as they retire maybe replace them with younger people down the road. Will is still learning his entire future role.

wannable

William appears in the programme, part 1, beginning, middle and end, very well thought out documentary.  The office people that work for Charles in the Duchy are the POW's age, if not older, some passed retirement age.  William already knows them -  My comments are very much related to the documentary, I watched it last night.

sandy

It is good that there are "elders" there to advise. Retired people can be consultants after they give up full time work. I think there should be interns brought in or trainees to learn these would be future leaders.

wannable

Speaking of elders, I wish there was or in the making of the Duchy of Lancaster, apparently Prince Phillip is the mastermind to make that duchy profitable too.  Shadowing, back office to that of Her Majesty, his works seem to need a show and tell.  What he has done responsible of modernizing the DOL, and their private properties; Sandringham and the Balmoral estates.  I hope they celebrate it before or when he passes away.

Back to the Duchy of Cornwall, yes William has been going around 'all' the duchy property, including the Duchy HQ, which as I said, I didn't know they had a building in London - this is where William meets with the elderly board of directors, the CEO, the PA - all of them have 20 plus years, some 40 plus years working for Charles.  William has had lots of meetings with them, including elderly farmers who don't have next gen, hence my 1st comment of today.

Princess Cassandra

I'm thinking there must be so many things regarding the royal family of which we no little or nothing at all. Anyway, many threads ago we had the discussion of how well he has managed the Duchy so well, and that he seems to have an entrepreneurial mind with well chosen advisors and staff to address business issues. 

Blue Clover

Quote from: wannable on October 26, 2019, 02:00:11 PM
Speaking of elders, I wish there was or in the making of the Duchy of Lancaster, apparently Prince Phillip is the mastermind to make that duchy profitable too.  Shadowing, back office to that of Her Majesty, his works seem to need a show and tell.  What he has done responsible of modernizing the DOL, and their private properties; Sandringham and the Balmoral estates.  I hope they celebrate it before or when he passes away.

Back to the Duchy of Cornwall, yes William has been going around 'all' the duchy property, including the Duchy HQ, which as I said, I didn't know they had a building in London - this is where William meets with the elderly board of directors, the CEO, the PA - all of them have 20 plus years, some 40 plus years working for Charles.  William has had lots of meetings with them, including elderly farmers who don't have next gen, hence my 1st comment of today.

I think it's wonderful that Prince William is taking the time to meet with the key members associated with the Duchy before a full transition occurs.

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on October 27, 2019, 07:26:39 PM
I'm thinking there must be so many things regarding the royal family of which we no little or nothing at all. Anyway, many threads ago we had the discussion of how well he has managed the Duchy so well, and that he seems to have an entrepreneurial mind with well chosen advisors and staff to address business issues. 

Yes, many positive comments have been made about how well Charles has managed the Duchy. I think this is something he can be very proud of moving forward.