Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall

Started by TLLK, December 31, 2018, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Royal spending rises as young princes carry out more work
Quotehe amount spent by the Prince of Wales on funding the activities of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry increased by 40 per cent with the arrival of Meghan Markle into the Royal family.

Prince Charles paid ?4.96 million towards the activities of Prince William, his wife and Prince Harry last year, an increase of ?1.43m on the previous year?s total of ?3.52m.

The increase coincided with the first four months of Ms Markle?s engagement to Prince Harry from November last year, and is thought to have included a certain additional amount to pay for her activities and public engagements as his fiancee.

The increased expenditure on the activities of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William is also understood to reflect their increased role in public life, following the decision by the Queen to reduce the number of duties she performs each year.

Please note that this is an article from June 2018 but I did find it interesting as it relates to how the PoW does fund the activities and related expenses for a total of six people (Himself, Camilla, William, Catherine, Harry and Meghan).

Blue Clover

I think 2018 was an expensive year for Charles given the wedding and overseas tours to launch the new Royal couple.

Curryong

Yes, and there was probably additional spending on the KP office with people arriving and departing, as well as increased expenditure in the Cambridges' household with the arrival of a new baby, two mini tours at the beginning of the year and William's tour of the Middle East, which involved a retinue of several advisers. I think from now on until the next reign, as the oldest members of the BRF decrease their engagements and the Cambridges and Sussexes step up to the plate, Charles's expenses are likely to increase substantially.

LouisFerdinand

The article declared that the cost of paying for "their travel to royal engagements, as this is funded by the Queen out of the Sovereign Fund, paid for by the taxpayer".     
Does the Sovereign Fund pay for Prince Andrew's and Princess Anne's travel to royal engagements?   

:RAFWilliam: :RAFWilliam: :RAFWilliam: :RAFWilliam: :RAFWilliam:

Curryong

The Sovereign Fund pays travel and certain other expenses for all members of the BRF who work for 'the Firm'. That would include Andrew and Anne. The article below explains Royal funding.

Here's where the royal family gets their money - INSIDER

TLLK

@Curryong-Thank you for sharing the article explaining the royal finances for the UK.

Curryong

Thanks TLLK. All these (presumably) hundreds of patronages being handed out does go against some of the perceived wisdom that has been handed out over the years via Royal correspondents, though. This has always pointed to a much more sleek operation being favoured by the younger royals ie the Cambridges and Sussexes, such as a couple of dozen charities/patronages for each of the four, under an umbrella organisation like the Royal Foundation, with main charities being taken up in depth by each of the four royals.

I'm not sure how that model would work actually, when William and Kate become Prince and Princess of Wales, as there are major traditional entities and organisations (like the ancient Guilds in London) and National operations, both military and otherwise, that are by custom headed by monarch and the direct heir and their spouses. If William and Kate are going to reject patronising those, then that is going to be a major sea change. I don't think they will.

Also it is hard to see how Charles at 70 plus is going to cram even more into his schedule. Ditto for Anne. I think Andrew, Camilla and the Wessexes may take on a few more, though Camilla is older than Charles and not the fittest woman alive, and the Wessex children are still quite young.

I really do think that some of the minor charities will have to find new patrons in the coming years, hard though it will be for many of them to lose the monarch as patron. Say what you like about Charles, he has been a workhorse for decades for the Firm, as has his sister and parents. It will be interesting to see how the Cambridges and Sussexes adapt to the future pressure.

TLLK

Should the pool of working royals shrink over the next decade or so, I  believe it is possible that some of QEII's non-royal grandchildren and the children of her cousins might become the patrons/president of a few of their parents' current patronages in the coming decades.

ie: Lady Sarah Chatto is the vice-president of the Royal Ballet and has been since her mother's death. I could see Peter Phillips or Zara Tindall taking on a few that their mother has supported for years. The York princesses might choose to do the same for Andrew's and so on.

I really believe that the downsizing is coming. I have no proof just a strong feeling about it. It is possible that the BRF might follow the Dutch model which saw the monarch/consort taking on patronages associated with the nation, while leaving the smaller, provincial ones to other public figures. Knowing that this is the model that will be adopted for the future, is influencing the manner in which the Queen's grandchildren are moving forward. This is why I believe that QEII's grandchildren will ultimately not have hundreds of patronages like the Queen and DoE but will select those which have a nationwide influence along with the historic ones.

Curryong

That is indeed possible, TLLK. However, as things stand now Patrons of prestigious organisations are generally people recognised by the general public. An article I read years ago has stood out in my mind since, in regard to the royals. It was an interview by a courtier at BP who dealt with the appointment and matching up of charities who had requested royal patronage with those members of the Royal family who were willing to take on more.

He stated that it these charities organisers were almost always reluctant and unenthusiastic when a lesser known Royal, down the totem pole, was suggested to them. They took them but were clearly disappointed. (That's a matter of perception of course, and we know that people like the Gloucesters and the Kents have worked like demons for their particular charities for many years.)

In the Internet age it seems to me that few organisations will wish to take on a Patron who was a second cousin to a very elderly Queen but isn't really instantly recognisable to the public at large. I'm sure Lady Sarah Chatto is a lovely woman, and as a Vice President has a bit more of a hands-on role in the Royal Ballet. (It's interesting that charities like the NSPCC have over thirty Vice Presidents/ambassadors.)

However, Edward is the Patron of the Royal Ballet (has been since 2003) as he has a higher profile. As the younger brother of the King in the new reign his public recognition levels may not last (and probably aren't that strong now) but for the moment that patronage is in his hands.

The younger royals might well streamline their operations like the Netherlands and Spanish royals. However, in many ways the British monarchy is different; more traditional, slower to change, and these Royal patronages remain important to charities and organisations. I just think that those charities would be scrambling more for a Charles or Cam, Cambridge or a Sussex on their letterhead than a Gloucester, a Sarah Chatto, Beatrice or even a Wessex, hardworking though they may be.

TLLK

^^^Excellent points @Curryong. I agree that organizations are likely looking for a high profile member of the BRF to be their public face and would be thrilled to have the monarch, heir or one of the monarch's children as their patron.

Again, it's just a feeling that I have that the next reign will see a significantly reduced BRF. QEII's cousins have reportedly stated that they'll continue working as long as their cousin does, but considering their ages it's likely that they'll be among the first to retire when a new reign begins. I see Charles' siblings working for as long as possible, but perhaps with a reduced schedule. IMO the future reigns will not seek to replace the Gloucesters, Kents with the York princesses as full time representatives, but the York princesses will likely continue their own charitable work on their own.

TLLK

Clarence House on Twitter: "The Prince of Wales?s Charitable Fund receives a donation each year from the sale of @waitrose Duchy Organic Products.

QuoteThe Prince of Wales?s Charitable Fund receives a donation each year from the sale of @waitrose Duchy Organic Products. Today it was announced that over the past ten years, the total amount donated exceeds ?23.5 million.

Curryong

That's a magnificent total isn't it, and people also have the satisfaction of purchasing products made from organic sources at the same time.

Blue Clover

Yes, huge. I like that the Duchy provides organic products.

Princess Cassandra

It is wonderful and I do admire HRH so much.  The organics, the conservation and sustainability, and the assistance to those who need self help. Amazing.

sandy

All very nice, but Charles being "misunderstood" seems to be the message here. He should just celebrate the anniversary.

TLLK

Charles has certainly been an innovater when he took on responsibility of the Duchy of Cornwall. He and the team that manage the Duchy should be so proud of the work and accomplishments.

sandy

William not rocking the boat is not necessarily a good thing. I wonder if he'll put in the same time on the Duchy that his father did. I wish Charles would stop playing the "misunderstood" prince, it's getting tiresome to me.

TLLK

This part made me laugh a little knowing how much Charles has championed preserving architecture.  :hehe:

QuotePrince William has been immersing himself in a key part of his future ? the vast estate that he will one day inherit.

When his father Prince Charles becomes King, William, 37, will become the Duke of Cornwall and be the head of the Duchy of Cornwall ? the estate that was set up around 700 years ago by Edward III to provide funds for the heir to the throne.

William gave insight into his philosophy as he prepares to follow in his father?s footsteps, revealing that he will not ?rock the boat? and do things much differently. However, he might not be as obsessed with buildings and design as Charles has famously been.

?I?ve started to think about how I will inherit the Duchy one day,? William told farmers in Prince Charles: Inside The Duchy of Cornwall, which airs on ITV later this month. ?Well, rest assured I?m not going to rock the boat; I?ll do much the same as what my father?s doing. I?m not so into the architecture ? that?s the only thing.?

sandy

I think Charles does consult with architects and gurus. Charles needs architects to help work on his "dreams." William is not an architect either and the decision making and actions would be up to them. It would not hurt William to branch out and learn more things though.

Why does WIlliam think it a bad thing to rock the boat?

TLLK

^^^If you read the People article that @sara8150 provided, it will answer that very question. :happy:

QuoteAnd why would William ? who has a home in the country and has a keen connection with farming ? want to change things too much? Under his father?s leadership in the last 50 years, the Duchy has been turned into a multi-million dollar enterprise, providing $27 million a year income to run the Prince of Wales?s office and those of his sons and their wives. It is now a business empire that includes property in London and more than 130,000 acres of land ? with 160 miles of British coastline ? in 23 counties of England and Wales.
:thumbsup: Many people are employed by the Duchy now due to its prosperity, so IMO those who are working for it and reaping the benefits of the stability provided by steady employment won't want to see an "boat rocking" for the time being.  :nod: Now if modifications to the plan or changes need to happen, then the future Duke of Cornwall and those who help management will consider what needs to be done to ensure that it remains prosperous and true to its roots in the UK.

wannable

Quite, with technology comes 'change', always.   That doesn't mean rocking the boat.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on October 12, 2019, 11:46:29 PM
This part made me laugh a little knowing how much Charles has championed preserving architecture.  :hehe:
Unless he meant studying architecture and restoring large estates? Those that Charles undertook were risky ventures and very difficult projects (he admitted this in an interview); one shouldn't undertake such projects without great expertise and experience. I wouldn't think William would see himself undertaking large architectural restorations, at least for a long, long time, and certainly not without his father's advice and support. Of course, he also could have meant that he wouldn't be so negative about the "carbuncles"!

amabel

Possbily just not one of Williams big interests...

TLLK

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on October 13, 2019, 04:30:17 PM
Unless he meant studying architecture and restoring large estates? Those that Charles undertook were risky ventures and very difficult projects (he admitted this in an interview); one shouldn't undertake such projects without great expertise and experience. I wouldn't think William would see himself undertaking large architectural restorations, at least for a long, long time, and certainly not without his father's advice and support. Of course, he also could have meant that he wouldn't be so negative about the "carbuncles"!
TBH I have never gotten the feeling that William or Harry shared their father's passion for historic architecture, however I could see Charles discussing the topic with his daughters-in-law.  :nod: